A way to stop error boxes popping up in Firefox 2.0.0.20?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
SMCorp

A way to stop error boxes popping up in Firefox 2.0.0.20?

Post by SMCorp »

I'm using Firefox/2.0.0.20 because I have to, it can't be updated on this system. The garbage bloatware on all current sites causes Firefox to blow up with errors on ANY major site. Just trying to click an eBay item in an e-mail forces me to click OK several times just to make it stop blowing up, and never in my life has Firefox given me an error that anyone cares about. It's just trying to load various media around the page and saying it can't, it's pointless and 100% of the time relates to things that don't matter.

Opening almost any page makes it sort of hang for a while until this inevitably appears:

Warning: Unresponsive script./Stop script (I understand this one can be played with in Javascript settings)

And that one often returns half a minute later if I stay on that page. This one would be nice to kill, but it's not the main reason I'm writing this.

And after that, or before AND after that, it pops up the box:

Alert / Firefox can't connect securely to XXXXX because the site uses a security protocol which isn't enabled.

Click okay, then click okay to the same error up to 25 times on the same page. This isn't warning me of anything anyone needs to know, it's just busy work and tens of thousands of clicks over years for nothing so I'm finally writing.

Is there a setting that will turn all of these fake warnings off permanently? Or an add-on that can do it? When I look for add-ons looking to stop errors, it just shows me lots of ad blockers, and I don't need to block ads.

Thank you.
Last edited by DanRaisch on February 2nd, 2019, 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added Firefox version number to Subject line.
smsmith

Re: A way to stop error boxes popping up in Firefox 2.0.0.20

Post by smsmith »

Why not turn off javascript to get rid of the script warnings?
javascript.enabled

http://kb.mozillazine.org/About%3Aconfig

And the other warning is telling you that the browser doesn't support the security protocols being used by the site, probably because they didn't exist when Firefox 2 was the current release. Probably nothing you can do about it unless you can find out which protocol(s) it's complaining about.

I'm curious what makes this computer so special that you have to use it something like 20 years after it was built. I can't imagine that doing anything on that computer is enjoyable.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
therube

Post by therube »

Hmm.

Things (websites) are quite broken in FF 2.
(And 2.0.0.20 is the last version for Win98.)

Surprisingly some things work well enough.

Fires up quite quickly.
FAR quicker the "Quantum" ;-).

Also sites are rather ad-free.

Even youtube loads (after accepting the choice to not upgrade).
(Videos & thumbnails fail to load, but eh, who needs that.)

Mozillazine.org seems fine, mostly.
(Things like "active topics" does not work.)

Error Console popped up once, on its own.

Otherwise, all in all, I'm seeing mostly "clean", with not that many nags.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

Testing, 123.

Oh, & I didn't seem to be able to start using MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1, so I'm running in Sandboxie.
(I need -no-remote because I already run FF 3.0, as it is.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

when start TLS 1.1? (2009)
when arrived 2.0.0.20? (2008)
thus v2 never was able to run current secure sites, tls 1.2 is required and in 2020 tls 1.0 and 1.1 are disabled in any current browser (so the servers dont need to deliver it any longer which means any below tls 1.2 is denied)
win98 never had tls 1.1, only 1.0 but that is currently hard to find. so any software on win98 is not able to make secure connections.
what are we talking about? a fully castrated fun machine ;)
SMCorp

Post by SMCorp »

Thanks for the responses, guys.

A little of what you wrote, I don't understand.

But I can answer the questions and comment.

It's not a fun computer, it's a business box. It's running the same OS for 19 years, most of the same software for 17 or 18 years, really all that is newer is the 2008 or so Firefox and KompoZer and Thunderbird are newer than that. The motherboard/CPU setup has changed several times, but for the last 8 years has been a 2005 model P4. Boots in 60 seconds or less. And "boots" means BOOTS, not goes to a fake-ass desktop and then loads bs from Microsoft for the next five minutes, and can't shut down for five minutes because it is "updating". This was when on was on and off was off. Same parallel port scanner for 19 years, same trackball and keyboard for 15 years. Has everyone forgotten that parallel port hardware doesn't drop or lose the drivers and never fails to come up? On my travel computer, I'm reinstalling USB drivers or solving problems with them all the time. I don't use it to look at anything personal, no videos or social media, and I don't connect to those things mostly as a rule using a business computer. I have more than 10,000 documents on here and need to read 1-50 of them daily, and usually have a few open at once. At any time, with none open, I can click any one of them and see it on the screen in 1 second. Try that with Office Shitware 360 2019, which is going to take 30-60 seconds to open anything, going to hog up my internet connections for no reason, can't work at all without the internet, and will constantly be checking for updates (And please, let's review that; Do you have needs for text files in 2019 that you didn't have in 1995? I don't, and I can open up files made from 1999 to 2019, then to now, nothing else can do that.). Not to mention my total cost for software in each of the last 19 years is $0, and 0 hours spent looking for updates or whatever. In fact, the most time lost has been in wasting time with this fraudulent nonsense KernelEx, much better since I accepted that I won't be running XP software. At least hundreds of files are PGP encrypted, absolutely crack-proof. MI5, FBI, NSA, and countless others have dead failed to crack PGP.

As for "(98SE) never was able to run current secure sites" and "so any software on win98 is not able to make secure connections.", that's not correct, or at least not in the way I use it. I run my own two e-commerce sites from this computer and make a living from it for 17 years and counting, so it must work. This relating to the SSL ordering pages I use on my own sites. If I am shopping online or whatever, I'm not using this.

It was Windows 95 that absolutely could not do SSL sites, and that is the reason I can't use it, sad because it was a much faster system.

I can have about 15 windows of Firefox open at once before it starts to get that memory thing and I have to close stuff. With what I was doing back in 2000-2003, I used to have 40 Windows of IE 5 open at once for 2-4 hours/day. NO version of Firefox could do that, and it got worse as it went.

Computer science isn't progressing. In 1995, I'd turn on my Dad's Win95 PII PC, it would boot in a little over a minute, would log on and be on the internet in 15 seconds. When SSL ordering came along, it couldn't do that. The only good thing we've gotten in the last few years is that everyone in the world's computer isn't updating Flash every mf time the computer was turned on, thanks to (I think) FB for killing that pig.

Computers and software are less secure every year that goes by, and data breaches get bigger and bigger. If an article were posted tomorrow that the personal data of a MILLION people was exposed, no one would even click it. I don't think it's newsworthy anymore if it's under 300,000,000 people. All "security upgrades" from Microsoft, Adobe, etc. are strictly reactionary, people were already exposed, and previous software, for example mine, was never exposed to that attack that is a new one being fixed this week (after three weeks of exposure). From this era of software that I am still using on the business box, if you didn't have Outbreak Express running (which could let those Visual Basic scripts execute out of there) and used MIT PGP encryption, it was pretty safe.

In the past, I tried disabling Javascript, but I couldn't because even my own simple website uses Javascript for the navigation buttons that turn from blue to red with the mouse over them, but I just tried it again, and figured out that, other than not seeing that color, it's okay and I can still click it and go. So I'll try that for a while. Thanks for that.

The other errors are stupid. The fact that EVERY site is now https: on all pages is idiotic. Are they doing this to sell more internet bandwidth? When I read an article on CNN fake news, it's a https: page. I don't need to be warned of these, surely not 20-25 times in one same page, and there is NO RISK to me if the worst that could happen would happen.

I was hoping there was some sort of blocker that could just STOP warning boxes from popping up. The warnings are unuseful and always have been.

If I am entering a password or have a credit card in my hand, it needs security. If not, it doesn't. Wikipedia pages are SSL locked now!!!

I never tried Youtube on this computer until you suggested it. I was able to pass that browser warning and read some things, but no sound or video, or even a play button to press. But this isn't a problem, I don't use those here. I use mobiles for most of those things for the last five years.

In the past, I lost dozens of document files (all were corrupted) by Office, and once removed, I'd never put it back. On my travel computer, I use Apache OpenOffice (not great, but okay for opening what is sent to me by vendors, and it can open up the files from my computer here where the current or even 10 years ago Office can not).
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

As for "(98SE) never was able to run current secure sites" and "so any software on win98 is not able to make secure connections.", that's not correct, or at least not in the way I use it. I
we speak about NOW, not 20 years ago as smsmith pointed out. ofc you still can surf non-ssl sites but those will disappear and the web will be very small for you even now. there is nothing you can do except to give the machine into the electronic recycle or to put it behind glass.
the magic number is 51 and you are probably part of it :p
James

Post by James »

Since you say you have a P4, you may be able to dual boot with a light 32-bit Linux distro with say XFCE or LXDE. I had duall booted with Linux and WinXP on a computer that has a P4 2.8HT with 1GB of RAM and has a Ati 850XT Pro (originally had a Ati 9800 Pro) . Sadly the PSU sparked and smoked in mid 2015 so now I cannot play old games on WinXP on it anymore. Yet to try and fix it as it still smoked a bit on start with a new PSU.

With Linux you may be able to use a much much more current Firefox version like say 52.9.0esr or 45.9.0esr.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

could be the voltage stabilizers on mainboard. since i put some filters on my vents the case is very clean inside thus the psu dont need to blow dust too.
the P4 has SSE2 so it is able to run, limit may be memory (ram).
SMCorp

Post by SMCorp »

I've never seen sparked or smoked, why does it do that?
James

Post by James »

forgot to mention I had a power outage a bit earlier and unplugged it. Later after I tried to start system the PSU did a bright spark. Did not seem the kind of outage to have surges at time though like I had recently that killed three surge strips. Anyways.

Linux may be a option though I never did try to dual boot Linux with Win98.