Ctrl+Enter to add "www." and ".com" to a word in address bar

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
shifuimam

Ctrl+Enter to add "www." and ".com" to a word in address bar

Post by shifuimam »

I've been trying to switch to SeaMonkey as of late, mostly because I hate both Google and Firefox at this point. It has a lot going for it.

However, I haven't found any solution for the lack of support for a keyboard shortcut to add "www." and ".com" to a word typed in the address bar. It's a key combo that's hardwired in my brain at this point, so the lack of support is something I'm looking to remedy. Are there any options? I haven't found any addons or config options to address this.

Before you ask:

1. Yes, I know I can turn off searching in the address bar, which *should* attempt to parse a word as a web address. I use searching from the address bar and am disinterested in disabling it. (And this doesn't actually work for me.)
2. Yes, I know that "typing www. and .com isn't that hard, so just do that" - that isn't my question, and it isn't an answer to my question.
3. Yes, I know that Seamonkey isn't other browsers and therefore I shouldn't expect it to behave the same way. What can I say, when a keyboard shortcut is near-universal, I just...want to use it.
4. Yes, I know Ctrl+Enter opens a new tab with whatever you put in the address bar, which a lot of users like. That isn't an answer, either.

I'm not trying to be a dick here - I just want to preempt any of the "but you can..." and "why do you..." responses. All I'm looking for are suggestions on restoring Ctrl+Enter's actual functionality. Thanks!
TPR75

Re: Ctrl+Enter to add "www." and ".com" to a word in address

Post by TPR75 »

shifuimam wrote:I've been trying to switch to SeaMonkey as of late, mostly because I hate both Google and Firefox at this point. It has a lot going for it.

However, I haven't found any solution for the lack of support for a keyboard shortcut to add "www." and ".com" to a word typed in the address bar.
SeaMonkey can add "www." and ".com" automatically:
Menu -> Edit -> Preferences -> Browser -> Location Bar -> in field "Unknown Locations" mark "Add "www." and ".com" to the location if web page is not found"

Is this what you were looking for?
--
shifuimam

Post by shifuimam »

This doesn't work.

It appears to require disabling "perform a web search when entered text is not a web location", which I stated is a non-starter for me. I do not want to disable the ability to search from the address bar.

If I do disable "perform a web search...", it still doesn't work.

Am I missing something about this setting that would allow me to search from the address bar and automatically add "www." and ".com" to terms?

More specifically, is there a way to implement what I am wanting with a keyboard shortcut?
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

shifuimam wrote:This doesn't work.

It appears to require disabling "perform a web search when entered text is not a web location", which I stated is a non-starter for me. I do not want to disable the ability to search from the address bar.
You can disable this and still have ability to search from address bar. Just type some word and you'll see that word at the bottom of list (if such word was in previous URLs, website names). Then just hit (two times) "Arrow Up" key to go directly to bottom entry "Search [WEB_SEARCH_ENGINE_NAME] for..." and press Enter.

In this way you can have both functions. Does it suite you?
--
shifuimam

Post by shifuimam »

TPR75 wrote:
shifuimam wrote:This doesn't work.

You can disable this and still have ability to search from address bar. Just type some word and you'll see that word at the bottom of list (if such word was in previous URLs, website names). Then just hit (two times) "Arrow Up" key to go directly to bottom entry "Search [WEB_SEARCH_ENGINE_NAME] for..." and press Enter.

In this way you can have both functions. Does it suite you?
Unfortunately, the "www." and ".com" part doesn't work for me.

Example:

> https://i.imgur.com/6DIJeyh.png

I would certainly prefer to just have the functionality found in every other browser I've used (Opera before it was Chromium, all Chromium-based browsers, Firefox, Safari, IE, and Edge). Is this impossible, even with an extension?
Last edited by LIMPET235 on February 2nd, 2019, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image tags removed to restore the forum layout.
therube

Post by therube »

Seems like the behavior in SeaMonkey changed or broke somewhere along the line.

Pulled out SeaMonkey 2.19, & that works as expected.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

shifuimam wrote: Unfortunately, the "www." and ".com" part doesn't work for me.
therube wrote:Seems like the behavior in SeaMonkey changed or broke somewhere along the line.

Pulled out SeaMonkey 2.19, & that works as expected.
I'm not using it (disabled "by default") but when I enable this function then it works correct. Maybe it's something with proxy settings? I have "Direct connection to the Internet". :-k
--
frg

Post by frg »

There are known problems with autocompleting and adding www. and .com. Don't have the bug numbers ready but it is not working as expected for a few versions now.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

frg wrote:There are known problems with autocompleting and adding www. and .com. Don't have the bug numbers ready but it is not working as expected for a few versions now.
It works for me every time I try (old profile and new one). Did I broke something if broken thing is working...? :-"
--
frg

Post by frg »

> It works for me every time I try (old profile and new one).

Not for me :)

> Did I broke something if broken thing is working...? :-"

All I know is it does not work in all cases. It only works with servers redirecting anyway.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

frg wrote:> Did I broke something if broken thing is working...? :-"

All I know is it does not work in all cases. It only works with servers redirecting anyway.
Give me some example. Above "bing" works for me.

Maybe it's related to proxy settings (or lack of proxy) in SeaMonkey? Maybe it's something with OS? On my computers with Win764-bit Pro/Ult. it works correct.

Just checked SeaMonkey under Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon 64-bit (VirtualBox 6.0.4)... and it works correct! 8-[

Maybe you and shifuimam have some problems with some extension(-s)? Like GreaseMonkey or something.
--
frg

Post by frg »

Sure like bing :)

Fails in both 2.49.5 and 2.53. Basically only NoScript and uBlock installed.

https://imgur.com/a/KvchWDu

Brand new profile shows the web search.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

frg wrote:Sure like bing :)

Fails in both 2.49.5 and 2.53. Basically only NoScript and uBlock installed.

https://imgur.com/a/KvchWDu

Brand new profile shows the web search.
Did you created new profile (just for test)? I did and... it works!

I just tested it again under open SUSE Leap 15 and Windows 10 Pro (both in VirtualBox)... and it works!

SeaMonkey 2.49.4, official of course. OS with admin and limited user account.

I really don't know why it's not working for you.
--
therube

Post by therube »

Ah, it does work (2.49, 2.53, with settings as shown in frg's screenshot).

NoScript does break it though.
(I didn't test with uBlock.)
(I do use NoScript so that's why it wasn't working for me. Never would have figured that.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

therube wrote:Ah, it does work (2.49, 2.53, with settings as shown in frg's screenshot).

NoScript does break it though.
"Perfom a web search [...]" is default option and must be disabled (to make work first option with "www." and ".com"), of course.

It's was extension not SeaMonkey itself! One problem solved... 8-)
--