Window position not remembered properly

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Nick Payne

Window position not remembered properly

Post by Nick Payne »

Firefox 65.0 64-bit on Windows 10 1809 x64. I run Firefox right over to the left side of the monitor, and occupying the entire vertical height of the monitor. When I close Firefox from this position and open it again, the Firefox window is displaced about half a dozen pixels to the right and half a dozen pixels upward, such that the upper part of the window titlebar is off screen. If I resize it to the preferred position and close and reopen it, the same happens. I also tried closing Firefox, deleting xulstore.json from the profile directory, and restarting, which opens FF with a default window position. However, if I then move and resize the window to my preferred position and close and open FF, I have the exact same problem as before.

Any suggestions on a fix for this?
kerft

Re: Window position not remembered properly

Post by kerft »

If in about:config privacy.resistFingerprinting is true, windows will automatically change size every time. This is not the default so it is probably not your case, just pointing it out.
Nick Payne

Post by Nick Payne »

kerft wrote:If in about:config privacy.resistFingerprinting is true, windows will automatically change size every time. This is not the default so it is probably not your case, just pointing it out.
No, I checked that setting, and its value is false.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Sorry, I don't know of a fix. However, you could give Sizer a try (rough guide to usage here: Sizer User Guide)-- takes some of the tedium out of resizing and screen-positioning of your Firefox. Note that if using Sizer to resize Firefox (or Thunderbird for that matter) it is necessary to do the resize by one of the following means:

(1) With the mouse quickly right-click twice on Firefox's Maximise window (then select the size and position you want from the pop-up menu).

(2) Position the mouse pointer anywhere on the border of the Firefox window (so that you get the double-arrow mouse pointer symbol) and then quickly right-click twice and select from the pop-up menu.

(3) Use the hotkey combination Ctrl+Windows+Z (then select the size and position you want from the pop-up menu).

You can, of course, setup your own preferred size and screen-position for Firefox from within Sizer.

Above said, if it was me and the monitor supports more than one way of interfacing with your PC (e.g. VGA and HDMI) I would try switching to the other means of connection and see if I get the same problem. (To my mind the problem sounds more likely to be a Windows problem than a Firefox problem.)

Also did you try launching Firefox in Safe Mode to see if the same issue showed up then?
kerft

Post by kerft »

Try updating your graphics driver.
Last edited by kerft on February 18th, 2019, 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
therube

Post by therube »

Are you opening from Session Restore?
(If so, then it may never be right.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Nick Payne

Post by Nick Payne »

It's definitely a Firefox problem - I also have Chrome installed; if I position the Chrome window at the same location as FF, and close and re-open Chrome, it opens at exactly the location that it was when I closed it down. If it was a Windows or video driver problem, then all apps would suffer it.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

xulstore.json is where window position is saved - in the Profile folder. With Firefox closed delete that file and see if that corrects your issue.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Lnwdz

Post by Lnwdz »

Nick Payne

Post by Nick Payne »

the-edmeister wrote:xulstore.json is where window position is saved - in the Profile folder. With Firefox closed delete that file and see if that corrects your issue.
I've already tried that fix - see my original message.
Nick Payne

Post by Nick Payne »

Yes, that bug description matches what I'm seeing.
atlanto

Post by atlanto »

Restore Previous Session resumes last window(on the edge) position on my pc.(single-monitor/96DPI, Win10/1809, 65.0.1/plain new profile)

...otherwise...
Invoking window.moveTo() on startup by using userChrome.js works for me.
https://www.userchrome.org/what-is-userchrome-js.html

Code: Select all

let store = Services.xulStore;
let getValue = attr =>
  store.getValue(AppConstants.BROWSER_CHROME_URL, "main-window", attr);
let screenX = getValue("screenX");
let screenY = getValue("screenY");
window.moveTo(screenX, screenY);
let sizemode = getValue("sizemode");
if (sizemode == "normal") {
  let width = getValue("width");
  let height = getValue("height");