Dropdown Search Thing

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Briar2345

Dropdown Search Thing

Post by Briar2345 »

Hello,

Since the update to FF 65 I now have a dropdown search facility of some kind which appears below the address/search bar line. It's a long, blue horizontal panel with a white border all round.

I did not ask for it or activate it; how do I get rid of this pestilence ?

Regards

Cheemag
kerft

Re: Dropdown Search Thing

Post by kerft »

In about:config , set browser.urlbar.maxRichResults to 0 .
This does disable other possibly useful features. To more precisely pick and choose, see here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... opping_up/
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Try menu path Tools->Options->Search->uncheck "Display search suggestions"
If that doesn't work, try entering about:config into the address bar then press "Enter". Enter browser.urlbar.maxRichResults into the filter field and double click on the entry when it is displayed. Enter 0 (zero) for the value and press "Enter".
Briar2345

Re: Dropdown Search Thing [FIXED]

Post by Briar2345 »

DanRaisch wrote:Try menu path Tools->Options->Search->uncheck "Display search suggestions"
If that doesn't work, try entering about:config into the address bar then press "Enter". Enter browser.urlbar.maxRichResults into the filter field and double click on the entry when it is displayed. Enter 0 (zero) for the value and press "Enter".
Thanks to both who responded. The fix quoted above appears to have worked.

I wish Mozilla wouldn't foist 'improvements' on us which may or may not be needed or wanted !

Regards
Cheemag/Briar
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

which may or may not be needed or wanted !
You left off an important clause on that. It should read "which may or may not be needed or wanted" BY ME. Others might find that addition particularly helpful and worthwhile.
Briar2345

Post by Briar2345 »

DanRaisch wrote:
which may or may not be needed or wanted !
You left off an important clause on that. It should read "which may or may not be needed or wanted" BY ME. Others might find that addition particularly helpful and worthwhile.
Quite so, but it should be optional not foisted.

--

Cheemag/Briar
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Sure, so there could be complaints that one has to turn it on when one intends to use it. This way the complaints are only from those who DON'T want to use it.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Since the update to FF 65
the amount of list entries (browser.urlbar.maxRichResults) is here set to 15 ... since firefox 38 (maybe some builds earlier, did not search more). surprising that of all things version 65 should change this value - did i miss something?

the only way why it bothers now is the malfunction of some css code (userchrome.css) or the upgrade from legacy firefox with xul extensions where some extension made it invisible.
therube

Post by therube »

(Default looks to be 10.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript