65 changed search box to a drop down icon -how to revert?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
love10001212

65 changed search box to a drop down icon -how to revert?

Post by love10001212 »

Don't see any way to revert back to having the actual search box embedded within the bar. Normally I drag it to the right of the address bar and put some flexible space to the right.

Now I just see the two arrows and can't do anything with it. Annoying to have it ll the way on the right on a huge monitor and have to click to then click and search every time

Thanks guys
mightyglydd

Re: 65 changed search box to a drop down icon -how to revert

Post by mightyglydd »

The Search Bar is missing?
Go to Customize, right click a toolbar or Menu.
It should be there, just drag it up.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
love10001212

Post by love10001212 »

Doesn't allow. No dragging or repositioning it in customize. It is now just two arrows at the top right and you have to click on it to drop down the search box.
love10001212

Post by love10001212 »

n/m
Last edited by love10001212 on February 9th, 2019, 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Hmm (tests) interesting, have you accidentally dragged it into that silly Overflow Menu Fish thing on the right in Customize?
If so go there and drag it out to the left.
AFAICT those arrows only appear when items are in there.

@Yep that's how it looks here with the search bar in the 'fish tank'.
Last edited by mightyglydd on February 9th, 2019, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
love10001212

Post by love10001212 »

mightyglydd wrote:Hmm (tests) interesting, have you accidentally dragged it into that silly Overflow Menu Fish thing on the right in Customize?
If so go there and drag it out to the left.
AFAICT those arrows only appear when items are in there.
Yesss that was it! didn't even know that existed. Who wants 'overflow' thse days lol. Bring back old school 3 icons and that's it!

Thanks!
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Excellent, I find it very interesting that the Search Bar's no longer visible with a new install, without going to Customize one wouldn't know it existed.
One can read MozCo like a book.. ;)
love10001212

Post by love10001212 »

mightyglydd wrote:Excellent, I find it very interesting that the Search Bar's no longer visible with a new install, without going to Customize one wouldn't know it existed.
One can read MozCo like a book.. ;)
I agree; and I'm pretty familiar with tweaks but couldn't figure that one out on my own lol! Thanks again! :) All is back to normal.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

about:preferences#search -> Search = There's a 'toggle' at the top for Use the address bar for search and navigation which is the default upin installation of Firefox, and Add search bar in toolbar to show the old traditional Search Bar to the right of the Location Bar. Also, within the Customize Firefox the separate Search Bar can be dragged to where the user wants it to sit. Whichever manner the user chooses to use that setting should hold thru updates, but what I have been seeing in the various Firefox support fora since Firefox 65 was released the xulstore.json may be getting corrupted furing the update process; that file is holds the UI user modifications (and other UI prefs like window size and location on the monitor).

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.