Two different threading issues

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
bex1210

Two different threading issues

Post by bex1210 »

I am running Thunderbird 60.0 (32 bit) on Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) SP1. I use IMAP. I moved to Thunderbird last summer. Previously I used Agent, and POP3.

I searched the forum, but could not find anything that seemed to address my issues.

I am having two different issues related to threading. My threading settings are:
1. View->Sort by->Threaded (plus Date and Descending).
2. View->Threads->All.

Please look at this link: https://imgur.com/a/SPA6yqL

The issue at the top (above the blue line) has only happened a few times. This is a subject that multiple people respond to. In this example, two items are threaded correctly, but the third (the latest one, displayed at the top) is not. Any idea why this happens, and is there some way to fix it once the problem has occurred?

The issue at the bottom is ongoing. I have my credit card account set so I receive a notification every time someone charges my account for more than a certain number of dollars. These messages are always sent from: mobile@visammg.com, and I do not respond. But Thunderbird never threads these messages. Currently there are probably 25-30 of these listed individually. Because I sort my Emails with the most recent date 1st, I really have to search (or resort as I did for this image) to see what the entries are. Agent, using POP3, always threaded these correctly. Any idea why this happens, and is there some way to fix it?

Harry
tanstaafl

Re: Two different threading issues

Post by tanstaafl »

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Stop_threading_by_subject . You'd need to use view -> message source or Control-U to look at the hidden headers in a message to see if it met the criteria for being part of a thread/conversation. Use the config editor at tools -> options -> advanced -> general to check what the hidden mail threading settings such as mail.correct_threading are set to.
bex1210

Post by bex1210 »

tanstaafl wrote:See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Stop_threading_by_subject . You'd need to use view -> message source or Control-U to look at the hidden headers in a message to see if it met the criteria for being part of a thread/conversation. Use the config editor at tools -> options -> advanced -> general to check what the hidden mail threading settings such as mail.correct_threading are set to.
I did the view message source on two Emails from the same person. The one that threaded and the one that did not. I saved them as text files, and then did a text file comparison. There are differences, but I have no idea what I am looking for, even after reading the link you sent me to, and also the links referenced in it. I need a little more guidance.

Here are my hidden mail settings:
mail.correct_threading Value is true
mail.thread_without_re Value is false
mail.strict_threading Value is true
mailnews.localizedRE There is no setting under Value

Harry
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

See if the "problem" message has either a References or In-Reply-To header. If it does then its part of a thread.
bex1210

Post by bex1210 »

tanstaafl wrote:See if the "problem" message has either a References or In-Reply-To header. If it does then its part of a thread.
Neither of the two documents have either one of those words. Both have two incidences of From:Reply-To and one Reply-To.

One of the links that you sent me to said that if the mail.thread_without_re Value is set to True instead of to False, then only the subject line would be considered for threading. That might solve the VISA Alert credit card messages not being threaded, but since that change by itself could have some unintended consequences, I thought I should ask you first.

Harry
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You don't want to rely solely upon subject based threading as that's too risky. You want to enable it, while still allowing Thunderbird to create threads based on the References/In-Reply-To headers.

1. Set mail.strict_threading false to enable threading by Subjects.
1. Set mail.thread_without_re true to enable threading based on the subject even if there is no Re: in the subject.
3. You can leave mail.correct_threading and mailnews.localizedRe alone.

An alternative solution would be to create a virtual folder per http://kb.mozillazine.org/Saved_Search that contains just messages from your credit card provider. It doesn't effect where the messages are physically stored, so they're still also in your inbox. But you now have a way to just see them. Since those would be the only messages in the virtual folder your thread settings don't matter. Another solution would be to use a message filter to move them to a dedicated folder.
bex1210

Post by bex1210 »

tanstaafl wrote:You don't want to rely solely upon subject based threading as that's too risky. You want to enable it, while still allowing Thunderbird to create threads based on the References/In-Reply-To headers.

1. Set mail.strict_threading false to enable threading by Subjects.
1. Set mail.thread_without_re true to enable threading based on the subject even if there is no Re: in the subject.
3. You can leave mail.correct_threading and mailnews.localizedRe alone.
Do these settings only apply to FUTURE Emails? I made the changes, exited Thunderbird, and reopened it. It did not thread my VISA Alert Emails.

I'll take a look at the virtual folder you suggested.

Harry
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

They should apply to all messages.