Some sites, some links, utube videos not showing/playing?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Flycaster

Some sites, some links, utube videos not showing/playing?

Post by Flycaster »

Just got a MS Surface Pro 6 and have been trying to make it work just like my desktop by either copying or making things the same on both computers. Somewhere along the line I must have changed some setting in FF 65 to cause this to happen: Videos and utube either don't show on the page or they don't play; Some sites open whereas other sites show up in the tab but the screen is not is 95+% empty; on some sites where a link is clearly marked, it won't open.

The reason I am quite certain that I mis-handled a FF65 setting is that none of these problems exist on the Surface Pro and when using Chrome on the desktop, Chromes functions properly with opening sites, videos, and opening links. BTW, I did have the FF accelerator on, but have turned it off.

I'm hoping this description of the issues will be enough for you to guide me to the fix (most likes somewhere within Options...I think. however, if more info is needed, please let me know what you want. Thanks.
Windows 11, FF Latest, Edge v94, Thunderbird Latest, Defender
DanRaisch

Re: Some sites, some links, utube videos not showing/playing

Post by DanRaisch »

Did you copy over the Firefox profile from the desktop to the new Surface Pro 6, only changing the path to point in the file profiles.ini to the correct profile location?
To what FX accelerator are you referring? Hardware acceleration or something else?
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

At 80 yo, is it any wonder that I keep screwing up and have to spend large amounts of time figuring things out? Anyway to summarize: I have two different profiles on the two computers, but ALL settings (Options and add-ons, chrome css) on both are the same ...so why the problem? Ah, why didn't I follow the general fix-it protocol of running FX in Safe Mode??? A very important lesson to be learned! So, in Safe Mode, I discovered that it was one of my extensions that was causing the problem. By elimination on the Desktop computer, the culprit appeared to be the Java Script Toggle. But why should this be as the same extension was on the Surface Pro? Ah, again, some how I must have toggle the Java script icon to OFF on the Desktop computer. All is now well and I thank you, Dan, for your attention and help.

BTW: It was the desktop's hardware accelerator that was turned off...but it is now back on and set at 8.
Windows 11, FF Latest, Edge v94, Thunderbird Latest, Defender
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Good detective work on that. Glad to hear you have things working to your satisfaction.
CaJazzman

Post by CaJazzman »

Fly caster, you do have in the options, that where you manage your account, that you are signed in so, that it will sync, both your desktop and your surface pro? I, know, once that for some reason, mine wasn’t syncing and I found that I hadn’t signed in, so, just something to check. I, too, at 67, almost 68, forget allot of things to do, but, these peeps here are glad to help us, figure out what we are, or aren’t doing correctly. Just some of the best peeps around.