Write-Why does it show my e-mail a 2nd, outside of the < > ?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
sludge7071-g

Write-Why does it show my e-mail a 2nd, outside of the < > ?

Post by sludge7071-g »

Using the latest, TB 60.5.0

I click to "Write" an e-mail . . . In the "From:" line, it shows: My Name <e-mail> e-mail

Why does it show my e-mail a 2nd, outside of the < > ?

Is there a setting that gets rid of it?
tanstaafl

Re: Write-Why does it show my e-mail a 2nd, outside of the <

Post by tanstaafl »

A email address can have two parts - the display name and the actual email address.

Are you seeing the equivalent of John Smith<jsmith@gmail.com> as the From address? That's normal. I've never heard of it appending a second copy of the actual email address to that. Did it do that?

My first thought would be to double check the accounts settings to see that your name and email address look okay.
sludge7071-g

Post by sludge7071-g »

When I click to "Write", it shows my "From" e-mail like this:

John Smith<jsmith@gmail.com> jsmith@gmail.com

. . . where the second e-mail to the right is in light grey text, italics

. . . you don't see that? . . . I'm using the latest, TB 60.5.0
morat

Post by morat »

That's your account name in Tools > Account Settings.

e.g.

Email Address = John Doe <johndoe123456789@example.com>
Email Name = John Doe
Email Mailbox = johndoe123456789@example.com

Account Name = JohnDoe...@example.com

From: John Doe <johndoe123456789@example.com> JohnDoe...@example.com

Try this:

Code: Select all

/* Thunderbird userChrome.css */

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

#msgIdentity .menulist-description {
  display: none !important;
}
http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css
sludge7071-g

Post by sludge7071-g »

Thanks for the info! I'll leave it as is, it's not that bad, since I now know what it is. Here's how I translate this in my notes:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tools / Account Settings

Click the e-mail that you want as the default "Send" e-mail

Account Actions (bottom left) / Set as Default . . . It puts it at the top of the list also

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tools / Account Settings

These e-mails are also the "Account Name"

When you click to "Write" an e-mail, the "From" line is showing this:

Your Name <Email Address> Account Name

John Smith <jsmith@gmail.com> jsmith@gmail.com

The second e-mail on the right (Account Name) is shown in light grey text, italics.

This is kind of confusing. It's meant as another way of identifying the e-mail / Account Name.

For example, if you have 10 e-mails, you could label one as "Primary", and give the others a more familiar name.

When you go to:
Write / From: - drop-down arrow / Customize From Address
. . . It seems like in here, there could be an option to display, or not, the Account Name
. . . If there were, IMO, it should be off, by default
. . . The less clutter, the better, sometimes - I think so, in this case
. . . Why? It's probably not necessary, if you have fewer than 10 e-mail addresses, which is most people

DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

These e-mails are also the "Account Name"
Not necessarily. The Account Name could be "For Risky Sites Only" if you wanted to use a particular account only for providing an email address to sites where you have concerns for future spam, advertising, etc. If you have both a POP and an IMAP account with your ISP the name could be "ISP POP" for the former and "ISP IMAP" for the latter. That element is only there to help you recognize which account you are using for sending the message. That text doesn't go out to the recipient.
Write / From: - drop-down arrow / Customize From Address
Did you read the text in the pop up box that appears when you choose that option?
sludge7071-g

Post by sludge7071-g »

. . . These e-mails are also the "Account Name" . . . Not necessarily . . .

Ok, so, the correct way is to think of these as "Mail Accounts" . . . and, some could be the same e-mail, but with different settings, for different uses.

. . . Write / From: - drop-down arrow / Customize From Address . . . Did you read the text in the pop up box that appears when you choose that option?

Yes . . . Customize From Address - If your e-mail provider supports it, Customize From Address allows you to make a one-off minor alteration to your From address without having to create a new identity in Account Settings. For example, if your From address is John Doe <john@example.com> you may want to change it to John Doe <john+doe@example.com> or John <john@example.com>.

This is where you can change the "Write" e-mail if you want.

I was just saying that I think there could be an option here to show the Account Name, or not - but this doesn't bother me now - I see its use, and have an idea of what it's there for.