Caret in URLbar

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Odin2

Caret in URLbar

Post by Odin2 »

Is there any way to remove the down-pointing caret that appears when the URLbar is focused? (Setting my configuration of browser.urlbar.suggest.history to false does not help.)
CaJazzman

Re: Caret in URLbar

Post by CaJazzman »

Odin2 wrote:Is there any way to remove the down-pointing caret that appears when the URLbar is focused? (Setting my configuration of browser.urlbar.suggest.history to false does not help.)
If, I'm getting what you are saying, is with that caret, it's for the history, of what sites you have gone to, so, I'll bet you won't be able to remove or disable that. 8-)
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Thanks for responding, CaJazzman. Of course I hope someone will disagree, since I often have a need to see the whole URL without scrolling to the right, and the caret can make that impossible.
CaJazzman

Post by CaJazzman »

Odin2 wrote:Thanks for responding, CaJazzman. Of course I hope someone will disagree, since I often have a need to see the whole URL without scrolling to the right, and the caret can make that impossible.
You never know, but in the future you might be able to remove or disable, but in some cases, you never know until it happens. 8-)
therube

Post by therube »

Do you have flexible spaces on the URL bar?
Do you have pocket displaying, do you have Home displaying ... ?

(And I'd imagine there is some CSS to remove the down-arrow too.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Thanks, therube.
[1] Do you have flexible spaces on the URL bar?
[2] Do you have pocket displaying, do you have Home displaying ... ?
[3] (And I'd imagine there is some CSS to remove the down-arrow too.)
[1] I'm not sure what you mean by "flexible spaces" there. Fx shows spaces there as spaces. I prefer %20, but I've given up trying to get Fx to display %20 instead of each space.
[2] Neither Pocket nor Home displays. I'd like Pocket to display, but I've given up trying to get that display.
[3] That would be great, if I knew what it was.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

What you see is down arrow for history.
If you go into about:config and type history you'll see a number of history related items.
Make sure you take notes if you decide to change things, turn things on or off.
The down arrow on my system is not there unless I pass the mouse over it.
It appears to be connected to the nav bar so trying to use customize and drag and drop will not remove it.
It may disappear by changing some of the settings in about:config relative to history but I doubt it.
Typing caret in about:config will not help as it is for a different function relative to accessibility and typing direction.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Thanks, Grumpus. I've followed your suggestion but the problem persists. I appreciate your taking the time to poat.
kerft

Post by kerft »

Most things can be hidden with userChrome.css . You could post your question to https://www.reddit.com/r/firefoxcss if you don't get a quick answer here to see if they think that arrow is one of them.
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Sounds like a good resource. Thanks, kerft!
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

That is this element:

Code: Select all

.urlbar-history-dropmarker {}
See also:
https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-release ... ar.inc.css