Unwanted � Symbols

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Bluelead

Unwanted � Symbols

Post by Bluelead »

When I forward emails I received from someone else occasionally the recipient has these symbols added to my email. How can I avoid them? I am using Windows 7, SeaMonkey 2.49.3. Thanks.
ElTxolo

Re: Unwanted � Symbols

Post by ElTxolo »

Bluelead wrote:When I forward emails I received from someone else occasionally the recipient has these symbols added to my email. How can I avoid them? I am using Windows 7, SeaMonkey 2.49.3.
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

Problem is still there. I checked and I am already using Unicode not Western. Now what?

I installed 2.49.4. It would be nice if SeaMonkey would notify me when they have updates. Just last week I checked Help/Check for Updates and it said "There are no updates available."
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

Bluelead wrote:I installed 2.49.4. It would be nice if SeaMonkey would notify me when they have updates. Just last week I checked Help/Check for Updates and it said "There are no updates available."
Auto-update is broken at the moment. There were some major infrastructure upheavals, and it isn't all sorted out yet.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Bluelead wrote:When I forward emails I received from someone else occasionally the recipient has these symbols added to my email. How can I avoid them? I am using Windows 7, SeaMonkey 2.49.3. Thanks.
I regularly see those symbols in email I receive. If I close the email and reopen it, then the symbols are no longer there.

I wish there would be a way to avoid them all together.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't work for me. I did find someone else with my problem in a thread back in 2008 (below). However, it didn't look like there was an answer. He described many of the symbols I see from time to time.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 05&start=0
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

Now I am getting this symbol at the end of sentences: � How do I get rid of that symbol on messages sent to me?
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Try closing and reopening the email message.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

Thank you. The problem seems to have disappeared for the time being.
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

The unwanted symbols have reappeared. Mostly question marks in the spaces between sentences. It seems to occur only when I cut and paste a message sent to me that I resend. Also, when I receive an email that someone has forward to me an email that was forwarded to them. I have even got my email messages replied back to me that now had the question marks. I have not had the � symbols reoccur. I am using SeaMonkey 4.49.4 with Windows 7. This problem is frustrating and embarrassing.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Bluelead wrote:The unwanted symbols have reappeared.
Put about:config in addressbar and press Enter.

Search there for mail.strictly_mime entry.

Right click that entry and Toggle to true.

You're done.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

I am not sure what you mean by "addressbar."" I placed "about:config" in he search programs and files box and entered. The response I received was "Navigation to webpage was canceled."
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Bluelead wrote:I am not sure what you mean by "addressbar."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_bar
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

Done. Now what do I do? Or, does that solve the problem?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Bluelead wrote:Done. Now what do I do?
Restart SeaMonkey and test. The fix works for most/all people with this problem.