Missing dictionary No spell checker

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Ralph6410

Missing dictionary No spell checker

Post by Ralph6410 »

I have recently moved my SeaMonkey to Windows 10. And, have most of it working. But I notice I no longer have a spell checker. When I go to Preferences > Appearance > Spelling the Language box is blank. Clicking on the box gives me an option to download more dictionaries.

When I have a deliberate spelling mistake in an email.. or not.. I get the spell check box that has no options or suggestions. If I try to do or check for updates I get a message I have the latest version.

Any thoughts.. Advice on how to activate the default dictionary?

My about:config shows spellchecker.dictionary;en-GB and all items under a search of spell are default values.

Thank you for your time :D
ElTxolo

Re: Missing dictionary No spell checker

Post by ElTxolo »

When I go to Preferences > Appearance > Spelling the Language box is blank. Clicking on the box gives me an option to download more dictionaries.

When I have a deliberate spelling mistake in an email.. or not.. I get the spell check box that has no options or suggestions. If I try to do or check for updates I get a message I have the latest version.

Any thoughts.. Advice on how to activate the default dictionary? ...
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240416 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
Ralph6410

Post by Ralph6410 »

Thanks for trying to help. However.. from my Add-on-Manager I do not have a "dictionary" tab. Only "Extensions" "Appearance" and "Plugins". So I downloaded the file.. but how to install it?
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

Ralph6410 wrote:Thanks for trying to help.
  • You're welcome!! ;)
Ralph6410 wrote:.... However.. from my Add-on-Manager I do not have a "dictionary" tab. Only "Extensions" "Appearance" and "Plugins". So I downloaded the file.. but how to install it?
  • :-k To install the dictionary. Do the following:
  • Add-Ons Manager Tab (Ctrl+Shift+A) > Click the Cogwheel at the top right > and press "Install Add-0n From File" => Choose the file:
    british_english_dictionary-2.69-tb.xpi
  • Or on the Menu Bar, File -> Open File, (or use the Control + O keys) and choose the file:
    british_english_dictionary-2.69-tb.xpi
  • Or drag & drop, the .xpi file (british_english_dictionary-2.69-tb.xpi), to the Add-0ns Manager Window.

Cheers!! Image
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240416 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
Ralph6410

Post by Ralph6410 »

Tried that and it shows installed in the add-on-manager.. but still nada. Nothing in the Appearance > spelling box and when sending a message the spell check box comes up but empty.
Seems I have a corrupt installation... or a Widows 10 setting I have yet to find.
The search goes on..
Thanks again
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Ralph6410 wrote:Tried that and it shows installed in the add-on-manager.. but still nada. Nothing in the Appearance > spelling box and when sending a message the spell check box comes up but empty.
Type in address bar about:config and search for spellchecker.dictionary. Its value should be en-GB for you (if you really have it installed).
--
Ralph6410

Post by Ralph6410 »

That is the strange thing.. this is what is listed.

spellchecker.dictionary default string en-GB
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Ralph6410 wrote:That is the strange thing.. this is what is listed.

spellchecker.dictionary default string en-GB
Maybe some of your extensions or theme are not 100% compatible with SM 2.49.4? Did you mess with your "userChrome.css" file?
--
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

AFAIK version 2.69 is a web extension for both Firefox and Thunderbird.

Reading the software requirements shows that it works in Firefox versions 62+ and 60.5 + ESR, Thunderbird versions 66+ and 60.5 + ESR.

SeaMonkey 2.49.4 is based on Firefox 52 ESR.

The author might need to update the ATN site to reflect that it will no longer work in SeaMonkey and remove SeaMonkey from the text on that page.

The best way to be sure is to send an email to the developer at his support email link and ask him what version you can use if one is available.

Or try an older version found here. https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/se ... /versions/
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Ralph6410 wrote:Tried that and it shows installed in the add-on-manager.. but still nada.
Yep, it would be. That's what happens when you try putting a webextension extension (version 2.69) into a non webextension type program. Extension dev's fault for still using this as a min/max version - Thunderbird 5.0 - 9999, SeaMonkey 2.1 - 9999

Just install one of the older versions (I'm using the GB version 2.6.3 or something) Get it here - https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/se ... /versions/
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
frg

Post by frg »

> The author might need to update the ATN site to reflect that it will no longer work in SeaMonkey and remove SeaMonkey from the text on that page.

Better to just set 2.57 as the minimum version even if it doesn't work yet. Either it will or no 2.57 anyway.

FRG
Ralph6410

Post by Ralph6410 »

Thanks all. Installing a later version GB version 2.6.3 did the trick. As soon as I installed it I had a dictionary item in that lefts side panel and spell checker works in an email.
I guess.. this should be noted someplace and hope some more knowledgeable folk will do that. For what it is worth with the latest version of Sea Monkey the spell checker works on my Window 7 machines. Perhaps, this is a Windows 10 issue??
Ralph6410

Post by Ralph6410 »

For what it is worth... on my Windows 7 desktop, SeaMonkey 2.49.4 has a working spell checker. I do not know how to check what version it is. In the left pane of the Add-on page the only items I have are Extensions; Appearance and Plugins so I am guessing that the default spell checker will not show as an Add-On. If.. the spell checker gets updated with the main program then I assume my original issue of not having a spell checker could be related to Windows 10.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Ralph6410 wrote:For what it is worth... on my Windows 7 desktop, SeaMonkey 2.49.4 has a working spell checker. I do not know how to check what version it is.
You can use this extension to bring back "version number":
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/se ... ionnumber/
--
amrad

Post by amrad »

In Add-ons manager, I have these options in the left-hand pane: Get Add-ons, Extensions, Appearance, Plugins and Dictionaries. If you don't have 'Dictionaries' I think that means that no dictionaries have been installed.

Regards,

Dave.