SeaMonkey Email Sync

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Bluelead

SeaMonkey Email Sync

Post by Bluelead »

I have downloaded SeaMonkey 2.49.4 on my laptop. I have for a long time had it on my desktop. I used the same setup from the desktop (Win 7) to configure it on the laptop (Win 10).

The issue is both receive the same messages, which is not a problem. However. when I delete one message from one the other device does not also delete it. How can sync both SeaMonkeys, desktop and laptop, to respond to the same command?
DanRaisch

Re: SeaMonkey Email Sync

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in each SeaMonkey installation, as POP or IMAP?
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

Both are POP incoming and SMPT outgoing. I have heard IMAP has the ability to link both, but I don't how to do it or if it works with SeaMonkey. If that is what you are getting at.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

SeaMonkey can handle either POP and/or IMAP accounts without difficulty, The issue is whether or not your email provider offers IMAP. Who is the provider?
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

It use to be Verizon, but they changed me to AOL. They allowed me to keep my old verizon.net email address.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I don't use Verizon or AOL but I believe you can set up your account in SeaMonkey as IMAP with that provider.

https://help.aol.com/articles/verizon-m ... evice-imap
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

Did not work. On the first try I just exchanged POP words in the Server Setting with IMAP and used 993 on the laptop and desktop. The error message said "Timed Out." Then I followed the link to AOL you provided and use IMAP and AOL.COM with 993. The error message read "An error occurred with the POP3 mail server. Mail server IMAP AOL.COM responed:" What should we do now?

Also, I noticed when I had both set to desktop configuration, if I downloaded mail on the desktop first it the message never goes to the laptop. But, if I did not "Get Mail" when notified first on the desktop it would go to the laptop first. Then I would go back to the desktop and the message was available on download. Figure that one out . . . I am lost. I don't have great computer skills.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

On the first try I just exchanged POP words in the Server Setting with IMAP and used 993 on the laptop and desktop. The error message said "Timed Out."
Don't change the settings of the POP account you already have set up in SeaMonkey. Instead, create a new account, using the appropriate values for an IMAP account. Once you have that set up and receiving, you can, if necessary, copy all of the messages from the folders of the POP account to the folders of the IMAP account. After that the POP account can be removed from each computer.
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

I deleted the account and started all over again with IMAP 143 port as SeaMonkey default. Once the 143 failed, I started a new account using 993 suggested by AOL's link. it also failed. They just timed out or no connection. In fact, once I made the new accounts they would not let me make subfolders (draft, sent, etc). I like what IMAP is suppose to do in principle. Bottom line, I want my Verizon.net account to be on both my laptop and desktop, and work with IMAP. What should I try now?
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

I give up for now. I have tried all the various IMAP combinations for SeaMonkey and AOL that I could think of to make it work. Using POP, SeaMonkey is working for me on the desktop and laptop. Only problem is the duplication, but that will suffice for now since I will be using the laptop primarily for trips, etc. I do appreciate all the help.