2 copies of an e-mail, sent to a Yahoo Mail disposable?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
sludge7071-g

2 copies of an e-mail, sent to a Yahoo Mail disposable?

Post by sludge7071-g »

I'm using the latest, TB 60.5.0

In the morning, I power on the computer (I think this must have something to do with it - no "e-mail checking" activity for a few hours).

I have it set to open TB in my Startup, to the Unified View of 7 e-mails.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I use Yahoo Mail disposable e-mail addresses. I see that it's giving me two copies of the e-mail sent to them.

I also use G-Mail. I only receive one copy of an e-mail sent to them, which is expected behavior.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If I click "Get Messages", that does not fix it / Refresh it.

If I close and re-open TB, that fixes it.

If I do a Restart, it stays refreshed.

After I've done the above, if I go to Yahoo Mail (web mail), and send an e-mail to one of my disposables:

1.) and wait for it to pull it in after 10 minutes - it pulls it in as a single

2.) and pull it in myself - it pulls it in as a single

Any idea why the initial "check for e-mail", after a few hours of no activity, is doing that?

tanstaafl

Re: 2 copies of an e-mail, sent to a Yahoo Mail disposable?

Post by tanstaafl »

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN16026.html

Disposable yahoo email addresses sounds like normal plus addressing. Just to be clear, you mean that when you send a message to that address from a different email provider that you get two copies of the message in your yahoo account? Or are you sending it from yahoo to yahoo?

Does this problem occur if you use a normal (non-disposable) yahoo email address?

You said if you exited and restarted Thunderbird that fixes it (see only one copy). Does repairing the folder (before exiting) have any effect?

I suggest you also try switching to view -> folders -> all and see if that has any effect. Sometimes unified folders get corrupted. You might need to delete both "smart mailboxs" and the virtualfolders.dat file in your profile. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unified_Folders_not_working for more information
sludge7071-g

Post by sludge7071-g »

Ok, suffice it to say that I've tried everything.

Conclusion: You want this on each Mail Account. It gets rid of dups, most of the time:

Tools / Account Settings / Server Settings / Message Storage / [check] Clean up ("Expunge") Inbox on Exit

Unsolved: With the Unified view / "Unread" and "Total" in the bottom right . . .

"Total" is always doubled.

If there are un-read e-mails, it includes them in the Total, which is expected behavior.

To get the "Total" to be updated, though, you have to click into the sub-Inbox with the e-mail, and then go back to Unified view Inbox.

Maybe this has to do with it counting GMail labels in the Total?

How to make Thunderbird play nice with Google mail - Super User . . . Thunderbird has failed to accomodate the labels system which is why I don't use it . . . https://superuser.com/questions/603362/ ... oogle-mail

How do I synchronize Thunderbird tags with Gmail labels? - Super User . . . https://superuser.com/questions/48591/h ... il-labels/

tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I would expect the total column to be the sum of the read and unread messages. I don't understand why you think it
should be the number of read messages, or why the lack of support for gmail labels has any effect.

"With the Unified view / "Unread" and "Total" in the bottom right . . ."Total" is always doubled."
I don't normally use unified view and can't reproduce that problem when I try it. Unified view depends upon both a saved search folder and a custom view so I wouldn't be surprised if you ran into a configuration specific bug.

"How do I synchronize Thunderbird tags with Gmail labels?"
Gmail labels are essentially folders as far as the IMAP server is concerned. I don't know of a way to reliably propagate tags to copies of that message in another folder as Thunderbird doesn't have the necessary IMAP support to recognize Gmail labels. http://lists.thunderbird.net/pipermail/ ... 01317.html talks about adding it sometime this year but I'm not aware of a schedule.
sludge7071-g

Post by sludge7071-g »

. . . I would expect the total column to be the sum of the read and unread messages.

I'm using version 60.5.1 . . . Not the "Total" in the "Folder Pane Columns"

In the bottom right, "Unread" and "Total" . . . I have TB in my Startup. That "Total" is always double of what is in the Unified Inbox, until I click into one of the sub-Inboxes

. . . I don't understand why you think it should be the number of read messages,

It should be read and un-read - it doubles un-read

. . . or why the lack of support for gmail labels has any effect.

Maybe it counts the labels - from the Inbox and All Mail - doubling it

. . . "With the Unified view / "Unread" and "Total" in the bottom right . . ."Total" is always doubled." . . . I don't normally use unified view and can't reproduce that problem when I try it.

Ok

. . . Unified view depends upon both a saved search folder and a custom view so I wouldn't be surprised if you ran into a configuration specific bug.

Ok

. . . "How do I synchronize Thunderbird tags with Gmail labels?" . . . Gmail labels are essentially folders as far as the IMAP server is concerned. I don't know of a way to reliably propagate tags to copies of that message in another folder as Thunderbird doesn't have the necessary IMAP support to recognize Gmail labels. http://lists.thunderbird.net/pipermail/ ... 01317.html talks about adding it sometime this year but I'm not aware of a schedule.

Ok

Thanks!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

On my system the unread and total in the folder pane columns matches the corresponding unread and total in the lower right corner of the main window. I checked this for my fastmail, comcast, yahoo and gmail inbox folders.

I suggest you re-test in safe mode (help -> restart with add-ons disabled) to see if your doubled message count is due to a add-on that doesn't work correctly anymore. Are there any accounts where this problem doesn't occur?
sludge7071-g

Post by sludge7071-g »

. . . On my system the unread and total in the folder pane columns matches the corresponding unread and total in the lower right corner of the main window . . .

I think it might be a Unified folders thing

. . . I suggest you re-test in safe mode (help -> restart with add-ons disabled) to see if your doubled message count is due to a add-on that doesn't work correctly anymore.

I'm pretty sure I tried this test, didn't fix it.

. . . Are there any accounts where this problem doesn't occur?

No, I'm pretty sure it's with both Yahoo and GMail.

I have updated to TB Version 60.5.2, today.

If you'd like to see if you can replicate it, it's pretty easy . . . here's what I do:

Put it on: View / Folders / Unified

Power off the computer for the night . . . Power it on in the AM (I have TB in my Startup to open) . . . There will be at least 5 to 10 e-mails

Then, look at the "Total" in the bottom right of the screen . . .

If the Inbox was empty before I powered it off last night, there will be something like 8 e-mails, and the total will say 16.

If the Inbox wasn't empty, it will double the number of new e-mails, plus what was "Read".
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I can't replicate it.
sludge7071-g

Post by sludge7071-g »

I think the computer has to be off for a few hours, then pull in the e-mails, and you will see the wrong total.

It will need to be manually refreshed by clicking to a sub-Inbox, then back to Unified Inbox.

Shift+F5 doesn't refresh it.
sludge7071-g

Post by sludge7071-g »

Expunging the Inbox on Exit fixed the duplicate e-mail part.

I had a different take on "Total" in this thread . . . http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3047856 . . . asking how to see what the software does to get the "Total", so I thought that would be ok - sorry

TB is open source, so you can see it, right? How do you do that? This?

Tools / Developer Tools / Developer Toolbox (Ctrl+Shift+I)

Then you get this:

Incoming Connection
An incoming request to permit remote debugging connection was detected.
A remote client can take complete control over your browser!
Client Endpoint: [long string]
Server Endpoint: [long string]
Allow connection?
OK
Disable
Cancel

That's if you want to let someone look at your TB code, remotely?

I'm stuck