"Leave mail on server" isn't working . . .

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Bruce L.

"Leave mail on server" isn't working . . .

Post by Bruce L. »

- Two computers: a laptop and a desktop which was just replaced last month, both W10
- Latest version of Tbird on both

Before I replaced the desktop, I could access email from both computers. Now I cannot, even though both are set to "Leave mail on server" (10 days or so).

How do I fix this?
DanRaisch

Re: "Leave mail on server" isn't working . . .

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird on each machine, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

DanRaisch wrote:How is the account set up in Thunderbird on each machine, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
I have two mail accounts.

Laptop: Both accounts are popmail.

Desktop: Should be identical, although I'll have to wait til Monday to check.
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

Okay, a day early: Both accounts on both computers are popmail; everything is set for mail to stay on server for 14 days.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

On both systems, uncheck "Leave messages on server" then shut down Thunderbird and relaunch it. Set the option to "Leave messages on server" again, close and restart Thunderbird.

Also on both systems, is the Thunderbird option "Until I delete them" set ON?
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

DanRaisch wrote:On both systems, uncheck "Leave messages on server" then shut down Thunderbird and relaunch it. Set the option to "Leave messages on server" again, close and restart Thunderbird.

Also on both systems, is the Thunderbird option "Until I delete them" set ON?
Did it on laptop, will do desktop tomorrow.

Your last question: Accounts were "Off" (unchecked) on laptop.
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

Ok, did it on desktop.

"Until I delete them" was checked (on) on the desktop. I assume I should leave this "On"?

Just wait to see if this works now?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No, that may be the cause of your problem. What that settings does is tell the server to delete any message (from the server inbox) when that message is deleted in Thunderbird. If you view the message on the desktop and then delete it, it would be deleted from the server and not available for download to the laptop.
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

DanRaisch wrote:No, that may be the cause of your problem. What that settings does is tell the server to delete any message (from the server inbox) when that message is deleted in Thunderbird. If you view the message on the desktop and then delete it, it would be deleted from the server and not available for download to the laptop.
Wow, this is getting ugly. I will try to be as brief as possible.

My new Dell desktop started crashing yesterday, the proverbial "Blue Screen of Death." Four times. Never happened before since I bought it in late January. Tbird has been installed and running from the beginning with no problems.

Dell support sniffed around remotely for over an hour yesterday and said it was something in my CAM program or Windows. They did some standard fixes. It ran fine all day today -- except when I tried opening Tbird, then it would crash. I uninstalled TB, DLd a fresh .exe and reinstalled. When I went to open the program the PC crashed again. The tech guy never noticed anything amiss with Tbird yesterday.

Dell support said this afternoon when I told them about TB (from past experiences, I don't trust these factory support people very much) that I should make a new user account and if that doesn't work then I would have to re-load Windows. I don't want to do either, but failing that I would have to abandon Tbird and I really don't want to. This PC is for my business, and my emails (including personal) are all coordinated together with Tbird on my home laptop.

With the server settings I just changed, is it at all possible it has anything to do with this crashing problem, or is it just coincidental? I cannot even open the new TB install without crashing. Any ideas on how I can keep TB without going through all those other gyrations? Thanks! :D
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

If things run properly with Thunderbird in that diagnostic mode, we may better determine what's going on and suggest next steps.
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

DanRaisch wrote:Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

If things run properly with Thunderbird in that diagnostic mode, we may better determine what's going on and suggest next steps.
Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. I will try it tomorrow. :)
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

Dan: It opened okay in safe mode, ran for maybe 10 minutes, then got the BSOD again.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Did any of the checks done by Dell include a test of system RAM? What you're reporting sounds very much like a hardware issue such as a bad memory module. https://www.techpowerup.com/memtest64/

Also, what video card/hardware is in that system? Are the graphics drivers up to date
Diane Vigil

Post by Diane Vigil »

Our Dell computers came with Dell's "Support Assist" software pre-installed ... run that and it'll check a number of things, including:

- whether new drivers are available (and apparently will download/install them for you)
- it will do a hardware scan (the results of mine say "no issues")
- "Clean files" will save you a bunch of hard drive space
- Tune performance

I'm thinking this would be helpful for you.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

- it will do a hardware scan (the results of mine say "no issues")
That might be worth trying if installed on the OP's system. I'm not sure how good or capable the Dell software is but Memtest64 is free and has been around for quite a while.