Problems accessing sites with SeaMonkey

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Voyager77

Problems accessing sites with SeaMonkey

Post by Voyager77 »

I have been a long-time Seamonkey user having been a Netscape user before that. I like the fairly simple interface, but I am having more and more issues with websites that don't work properly with Seamonkey. My credit union recently upgraded their online banking system and it won't work with the Seamonkey 2.49.4 browser which reports Fiefox 52.0 to the application. They only support much later versions of FireFox so it looks like it may be the end of the line for me with Seamonkey after many, may years. I am a Mac user so probably will switch to Safari as I use the iPad version of that already. I will probably stay with SeaMonkey for email for a while, since I have saved messages back to at least 1999 there. I am not sure I could export them to Mac email with any degree of success and I have avoided gmail like the plague, but may have to consider that.

Anyone know of any better ways to go? I would love to stay with Seamonkey, but i understand the difficulties of keeping up with the rapid changes in the world. Any thoughts as to a better migration plan for both browser and email? I quite using newsgroups about a decade ago so they are no longer a concern.
JodyThornton

Re: The future of Seamonkey?

Post by JodyThornton »

@Voyager77

Can you export mail to Thunderbird? I was just curious.
Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)
therube

Post by therube »

My credit union
URL?
They only support much later versions of FireFox
Which?

There is probably not a thing wrong with SeaMonkey 2.49, nothing it couldn't do, I'm thinking - except that they "don't want to support".
Anyhow, you could try SeaMonkey 2.53 (akin to FF 56), https://www.wg9s.com/comm-253/ (backup first, or test in a separate Profile, or ONLY use a separate Profile for 2.53).

(And this probably should be broken out into a separate thread.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Voyager77 wrote:... but I am having more and more issues with websites that don't work properly with Seamonkey.
'More and more' seems to equate to only 3 or 4 websites max for most people here.
They only support much later versions of FireFox so it looks like it may be the end of the line for me with Seamonkey after many, may years.
That's up to you, but most other people just spend 10 minutes in total fixing those sites -
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14793573 .....plus many other threads/posts on this same subject.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
BillT52

Re: Problems accessing sites with SeaMonkey

Post by BillT52 »

Some websites for financial institutions will not let you log on if you are using an outdated browser (UBS is one I use that does). I believe it is to "protect" you from getting your login compromised by using an old, unpatched browser. If you are getting redirected to a page that has a warning about your browser and not letting you use the site, just use any of the suggestions on this site to edit your user agent string to a more recent version of Firefox.

PCMag.com is about the only site that doesn't display properly for me, but I can still use it.
TheCapnVideo

Post by TheCapnVideo »

Here is a list of sites I am currently wrangling with that will not let me use Seamonkey.
I have to use Chrome for some, must use Firefox for others.
This list is just the ones that would not allow the site to login in Seamonkey on 3/11/19.

ALL Citi services cards, JC Penny's, Home Depot, Exxon Mobil, etc.
tbonlinebanking.com
Chase.com
fnbomaha.com
barclaycardus.com
discover.com
progressive.com
premera.com

Also utilities and municipal sites,
ghpud.smarthub.coop
secure.dor.wa.gov
mtc.dor.state.ma.us
fortress.wa.gov
kerft

Post by kerft »

If you change your user agent, probably some of those would work?
Here is the user agent of Firefox 65 release for Windows 7:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:65.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/65.0
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

TheCapnVideo wrote:Here is a list of sites I am currently wrangling with that will not let me use Seamonkey.
If this relates to your SeaMonkey UA string then there are a number of easy solutions, including an extension that fixes this.

But first, how is this 'that will not let me use Seamonkey' side expressing itself? I ask because neither progressive.com nor ghpud.smarthub.coop threw up an 'outdated browser' message prior to login and, in my experience, prior to actually logging in is when they are going to show them, if at all.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

The problems where I have had problems with SeaMonkey are some sites where you sign petitions or send messages to your parliamentary representative. Those sites do not complain about the browser, but they simply do not send the information. You get either no feedback or some message saying that your session timed out. With most of those, the only browser that works is Safari. I have a total of 5 browsers with various rendering engines, but only Safari's works.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Anonymosity wrote:The problems where I have had problems with SeaMonkey are some sites where you sign petitions or send messages to your parliamentary representative. Those sites do not complain about the browser, but they simply do not send the information.
That type of site often has 'Capchas' on forms, that don't show up with adblocking.

I had this on Gumtree.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I have adblocking on all the browsers, including Safari. I use uBlock Origin on all of them. I use the same subscriptions and personal filter list on all of them.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Anonymosity wrote:I have adblocking on all the browsers, including Safari. I use uBlock Origin on all of them. I use the same subscriptions and personal filter list on all of them.
Good for you.
therube

Post by therube »

I have adblocking on all the browsers
Well the first thing would be to disable "adblocking" - actually all extensions, so Safe Mode.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

TheCapnVideo wrote:Here is a list of sites I am currently wrangling with that will not let me use Seamonkey.

I have to use Chrome for some, must use Firefox for others.
This list is just the ones that would not allow the site to login in Seamonkey on 3/11/19.
TheCapnVideo,

In addition to the advice you have gotten here, you might think about installing
UserAgentSwitcher. I use it and just now added in the Firefox 65 user agent string. (Much thanks Kerft.)
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome