My mouse wheel has started jumping a screen at a time

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
bilnrobn

My mouse wheel has started jumping a screen at a time

Post by bilnrobn »

The wheel on my mouse acts normally on other applications, but in Firefox and also Thunderbird, turning the wheel jumps forward a screenful at a time rather than a controlled scroll. I've tried two different mouses (mice?) with the same result.

My wife has an almost identical computer, the same version of Windows, Firefox and Thunderbird and doesn't have the problem. I've tried comparing her about:config/ mousewheel.acceleration.factor and then all other mousewheel options, with mine and they are identical.

Anyone got any ideas on this? I'd appreciate suggestions.

We both have almost identical HP all-in-one desktops and the most recent versions of Win10, Firefox and Thunderbird.

Bill in Oz.
Bill (Western Australia)
Browser, Firefox. Emails, Thunderbird. Both usually the latest release. OS: Windows 10
There are ten kinds of people in this world; those who understand Binary and those who don't.
therube

Re: My mouse wheel has started jumping a screen at a time

Post by therube »

As a test, create a new, clean Profile & see if the same occurs in there.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
bilnrobn

Post by bilnrobn »

I'm rather afraid to do that. On previous occasions when I've been trying to research a problem I have lost all my settings and had to re create my favorites and rebuild my tabbed folders and the sites they contained.
Bill (Western Australia)
Browser, Firefox. Emails, Thunderbird. Both usually the latest release. OS: Windows 10
There are ten kinds of people in this world; those who understand Binary and those who don't.
therube

Post by therube »

Then download the portable version of FF & test in there.

Maybe somehow mousewheel got remapped to down arrow?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Prior to gecko 50 there was a setting for middlemaouse actions which allowed a page on scroll instead of a line count
Read : about:config Entries - scroll down to Middlemouse.
Edited to correct link
Last edited by Grumpus on March 10th, 2019, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
bilnrobn

Post by bilnrobn »

I've found an answer! Not what I intended but actually even better. I've set the config to auto scrolling. infinite control of scrolling speed. Love it!

Thank you both for your input , you set me searching more thoroughly.

So problem solved.
Bill (Western Australia)
therube

Post by therube »

(Above link is bad, so, http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_FAQs_:_About:config_Entries.)

I've set the config to auto scrolling. infinite control of scrolling speed.
I'm not following?
bilnrobn

Post by bilnrobn »

What I can now do is point at the screen, hold down the center wheel on the mouse and move the cursor up or down the screen. A gentle movement starts a very slow scroll, a larger movement speeds it up. I can even make it scroll at my reading speed.
Bill (Western Australia)
therube

Post by therube »

Preference, general.autoScroll
bilnrobn

Post by bilnrobn »

Yep.
Bill (Western Australia)