Now getting 'Mail Server Password Required' message

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
bex1210

Now getting 'Mail Server Password Required' message

Post by bex1210 »

My OS is Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) SP1. I have Thunderbird 60.0, using IMAP with a SMTP outbound server. AT&T is my ISP. I also have a Compuserve account (aol). I use smtp.aol.com as the outbound server for my Compuserve account, and smpt.mail.att.net as the outbound server for my AT&T account. I have each account set with the requisite password. I do not use the Thunderbird Password Manager, whatever that is.

I installed Thunderbird about 9 months ago, and I could always login just fine. Yesterday I started getting two messages. The first said 'Mail Server Password Required'. for both the Compuserve and the AT&T accounts. I entered the password, Thunderbird would try to login, and then I would get a message saying 'Login to server imap.aol.com with user name (my user name @compuserve.com failed'. I got a similar message when I tried to login to my AT&T account. Rebooting the computer had no effect. I was able to access both of these accounts via their Webmail, which uses the same passwords, and everything there was fine.

Today, I still get the 'Mail Server Password Required' message for Compuserve. But once I enter it, then the Emails load just fine. I no longer get the message for AT&T. When I exit Thunderbird, and reopen it, I again get the 'Mail Server Password Required' message for Compuserve. Since there is an improvement from yesterday, I am assuming that the problem is with Thunderbird.

Yesterday I also installed two Windows 7 updates: KB3177467 & KB448563. After having the above problem , I found a note that said if Access 95 was causing a problem after the KB448563 update, install KB4490511. I have no idea if Thunderbird uses Access 95, but I installed KB4490511 anyway. It made no difference to my problem.

Has anyone experienced this 'Mail Server Password Required' problem, and if so, what is the solution?

Harry
bex1210

Re: Now getting 'Mail Server Password Required' message

Post by bex1210 »

After doing some on--line searching, I found my answer here:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Password_not_ ... derbird%29

'Password not remembered - Thunderbird' explains what happens when a server is temporarily down, and the problem that causes Thunderbird, because it forgets your password.

I followed the instructions, and they worked perfectly. Problem Solved!

Harry