[Ext] [SM/TB] [Lightning] Lightbird - standalone calendar

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Exalm

[Ext] [SM/TB] [Lightning] Lightbird - standalone calendar

Post by Exalm »

Lightbird = Lightning + Sunbird.

Lightbird brings slightly modified Sunbird UI to Lightning and integrates it better with SeaMonkey UI.
This means that:
  • Calendar with Lightbird is a separate component, available from Component bar and Window menu.
  • MailNews opens faster (much faster on my computer, may be different for others) because it doesn't need to load calendar every time.

Lightbird 0.3 and newer also works with Thunderbird. Here it just provides standalone calendar window. Calendar can be found in Tools menu, while normal Lightning UI is disabled just like on SM.

AMO: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamon ... lightbird/
Github: https://github.com/Exalm/lightbird/

Lightbird requires Lightning and will not work without it.

Additionally, this makes calendar look better with SeaMonkey Modern theme, using parts of the old Calendar extension skin. However, dialogs are part of Lightning, and Lightbird does not modify them.

Changelog:
  • First release on AMO.
  • Added Thunderbird compatibility (experimental!).
  • Some changes for AMO.
  • Fixed some Mac-specific bugs.
  • Removed biff state on component bar icon, since it never worked properly anyway. I will restore it when it will be stable.
  • Full list of changes
  • Fixed invitation bar in Messenger
  • Updated for Lightning 3.3;
  • Fixed -calendar command line option.
  • Bumped SM and TB versions
  • Improved event/task editing dialog on SeaMonkey;
  • Re-added possibility to convert mail messages to events or tasks;
  • Added toolbar button for Thunderbird;
  • -calendar startup option now works with Thunderbird;
  • Fixed online statusbar indicator error.
  • Added Events and Tasks sidebar panels for SeaMonkey;
  • Calendar notifications don't require opening Calendar window anymore;
  • Taskbar icon in SeaMonkey now shows missed notifications;
  • Toolbar button in Thunderbird now shows missed notifications;
  • Changed calendar mode switch shortcuts in SeaMonkey to avoid conflict with SeaMonkey component switching shortcuts;
  • Fixed toolbar style in Thunderbird;
  • Fixed offline indicator error in Thunderbird;
  • Fixed "Convert to" functions in Mail window.

Upcoming features:
  • [Long-term] Merging of some parts into official Lightning code (I would have do that since the beginning, but I didn't think it was appropriate. Thanks to Philipp Kewisch and Philip Chee for clearing that)

Enjoy!
Last edited by Exalm on August 11th, 2015, 8:20 am, edited 6 times in total.
ZehHa

Re: [Ext] [SM] [Lightning] Lightbird - standalone calendar

Post by ZehHa »

Very nice, looks fine.

But Lightbird should add compatibility with gt-tasks-sync. ATM, with lightbird tasks are shown in mail folder pane only, gt-tasks-sync today pane option is not working.
Exalm

Post by Exalm »

ZehHa wrote:Very nice, looks fine.

But Lightbird should add compatibility with gt-tasks-sync. ATM, with lightbird tasks are shown in mail folder pane only, gt-tasks-sync today pane option is not working.
Sorry, but this is actually a task for gt-tasks-sync developer. There are lots of Calendar extensions, I can't support every of them.
Additionally, there is plan to move some features (the standalone calendar window UI itself) to Lightning itself, so providing extension compatibility here will cause problems later. :)

Edit: I'll try to fix it on gt-tasks-sync side instead, in the bug you've linked to.
Edit2: Wait, it doesn't seem to be compatible at all...
Edit3: With manually added SM info in install.rdf it shows in MailNews, but does not function. Even without Lightbird. Maybe it'll be better to fix that first? :)
Edit4: Totally forgot that 0.3 is TB-compatible... Ok, I can fix it with TB then. Then it will work in SM automatically as soon as developer will add compatibility.
Edit5:
Hiatus

I'm taking a break from developing this add-on. This means I won't be monitoring the issue tracker for a while.
Umm...
I don't think it will be fixed any soon. :/
Exalm

Post by Exalm »

Lightbird 0.3 released!
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamon ... ersion-0.3

Full list of changes:
  • Added experimental Thunderbird compatibility;
  • Some changes for AMO:
    • Changed add-on structure so that only one chrome namespace is used (used lightbird/ and sunbird/ previously)
    • Fixed tasksOverlay namespace pollution
  • Fixed some Mac-only bugs:
    • Toolbar customization now works;
    • Toolbar no longer slips into titlebar when a persona is used;
    • Button for collapsing toolbars on the right of the titlebar is now actually present;
    • Window title now change when one changes date or switches view;
    • Print button is no longer glitched;
  • Removed biff state on component bar icon, since it never worked properly anyway. I will restore it when it will be stable.

Note about biff state: by default there is event dialog, so biff state is unneeded anyway.
DERoss

Re: [Ext] [SM/TB] [Lightning] Lightbird - standalone calenda

Post by DERoss »

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1 (x64)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/31.4.0
Lightning 3.3.2
Lightbird 0.3.3

In Windows, what would be the command line to launch the Calendar component of Thunderbird without launching the mail-news component? What I really want to do is put a Windows shortcut in the Startup folder so that, when I boot Windows, my calendar also launches. However, I do not always want to launch Thunderbird for mail, newsgroups, or RSS feeds. I assume that the shortcut would be for Thunderbird but with some command option that only launches Lightning via Lightbird.
Exalm

Post by Exalm »

DERoss wrote:Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1 (x64)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/31.4.0
Lightning 3.3.2
Lightbird 0.3.3

In Windows, what would be the command line to launch the Calendar component of Thunderbird without launching the mail-news component? What I really want to do is put a Windows shortcut in the Startup folder so that, when I boot Windows, my calendar also launches. However, I do not always want to launch Thunderbird for mail, newsgroups, or RSS feeds. I assume that the shortcut would be for Thunderbird but with some command option that only launches Lightning via Lightbird.
Command line option is only supported for SeaMonkey at the moment.
chrisjou

Post by chrisjou »

Hi Exalm
Thank you for the extension. It really speeds up MailNews in my case!
Unfortunately, the event extract function does not work anymore (the buttons disappeared). Any compatibility expected?
Chris
Exalm

Post by Exalm »

chrisjou wrote:Hi Exalm
Thank you for the extension. It really speeds up MailNews in my case!
Unfortunately, the event extract function does not work anymore (the buttons disappeared). Any compatibility expected?
Chris
Hello. Do you mean the bar that shows up when you have a calendar attached to a message?
I already fixed it for the next version, but for now you can open the message in new window (assuming you use SeaMonkey, not sure if that's possible in Thunderbird) and the bar is there.
avijaikumar

Post by avijaikumar »

Can you pls create a standalone thunderbird app that runs only the lightning calendar????? The wud be a real LightBird!! Looks like you are the last hope for humankind since mozilla has killed sunbird and is refusing to release a standalone calendar app!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Diamanti

Post by Diamanti »

with SeaMonkey version 2.49.5
- open mail client
- close mail client
- reopen mail client
SeaMonkey hang...
do it have a fix?
chrisjou

Post by chrisjou »

Hi, I can't do without that extension ;o)
Is there any update planned for Thunderbird 68?
Chris