Message Filters: Tags show no color?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tapetv

Message Filters: Tags show no color?

Post by tapetv »

All of a sudden, messages *do* get filtered to their right folders, but appear in standard color (black). I see the tags are still applied, but without color:

But in the Message-pane I can still use them:

Any ideas?
Arno Peeters
Tape TV Productions
DanRaisch

Re: Message Filters: Tags show no color?

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The same problem also occurs with edit -> find -> search messages. The global search tag filters also don't display the tags color. I tested using both 60.5.3 and 52.9.1. I do see messages in the folder listing that have a tag displayed using the appropriate color.

Are you sure it ever worked? I suspect its not a bug and that the only list box that displays tags in color is the one when you right click on a message in the folder listing and select tag. It wouldn't be the first time the developers didn't fully implement a feature.

Just to be clear, is the problem with tags being displayed in black in the list box in the message filter editor, no color used in the folder listing, or both?
tapetv

Post by tapetv »

Unfortunately this also occurs in Safe Mode. And for sure it has always worked: it is one of the features I rely on.
You can see the problem from this image:

This is from my 'Suppliers'-folder. All messages have the appropriate color, except the most recent ones. So the filter is working, the tag probably is also applied, but has no color assigned somehow. I can still do that manually, by selecting the message, right-click > Tag which gives it the right color (as shown in the second image of the OP). Also in the 'Manage Tags' (or Preferences > Display > Tags) the categories are colored.
Haven't installed any new extensions. This is from V60.5.3. After the update to 60.6.0 the problem is still there.
Weird.
Arno Peeters
Tape TV Productions
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Did you check the message filter log to see if it thinks it applied the tag? The message filters have a long history of configuration specific bugs.

Is this a POP account or a IMAP account? If its a POP account use view -> message source or control-U and look for a X-Mozilla-Keys: header and check if it is set to the tags name. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Tags

Can you manually add the tag and see it in the folder listing? That will help identify which component might be at fault.
tapetv

Post by tapetv »

Yes: the log indicates the tags are being been applied. This is an IMAP-account.

"Can you manually add the tag and see it in the folder listing? That will help identify which component might be at fault."

Don't exactly understand what you mean? If I apply a tag manually from the Message Pane (right click), it works as advertised, but doesn't show in the filter log, (which seems obvious).
If I run the filter on the selected message from the filter-pane, it also works (and is shown in the log) but the color is not applied.
Arno Peeters
Tape TV Productions
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

So the problem is probably either with the message filter or the IMAP server.

Can you test whether a similar message filter works with a well known free email provider such as gmail or outlook? I'm not suggesting you switch, just see if its a account specific problem.

Who is your email provider?
tapetv

Post by tapetv »

Indeed: I send an email from my Gmail-account to my Ziggo-account (a very big Dutch provider) and although I still don't see the color when making a filter for this specific test, it does get tagged AND colored.
So how can this be related to my email-provider?
Arno Peeters
Tape TV Productions
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You seem to have done the opposite of what I was suggesting. I was asking if you get a new message on gmail or outlook, does it get both tagged and colored due to the message filter. But if new mail in your Ziggo account does get colored and tagged does that mean your problem disappeared? If you have a third account and only that account has this problem, then please say so, and also tell me who that email provider is. I can only work with what information you share.

I have never seen colored text in the tag message list box for the message filter. I have only seen it in the list box when I right click on a message in the folder pane and select tag (your second image).

Are you using a version of Thunderbird with a different locale (aka language) than en-US? Perhaps a Dutch version? I'm used to different locales changing text, icons, and default folder names but I've seen cases where a bug was locale specific. I haven't heard of one where a new feature was locale specific.
tapetv

Post by tapetv »

tanstaafl wrote:You seem to have done the opposite of what I was suggesting. I was asking if you get a new message on gmail or outlook, does it get both tagged and colored due to the message filter.
I have always thought that the filtering occurs local, in TB itself, since it's there where I make the rules, and that that information in return is updated on the IMAP-server. I have no other way of telling, but the messages in the webmail of my host (https://data1.nl/) show no color, but of course are in the right subsequent folders. Afaict, the colors are just a visual aid.
tanstaafl wrote:But if new mail in your Ziggo account does get colored and tagged does that mean your problem disappeared? If you have a third account and only that account has this problem, then please say so, and also tell me who that email provider is. I can only work with what information you share.
I only use one account. The Ziggo-account you get for free with your cable-sub and I never use it, except for testing, as I do with Gmail. But you are right: if the colouring is correct on the Ziggo-account, it should be account-related, not TB.
tanstaafl wrote:I have never seen colored text in the tag message list box for the message filter. I have only seen it in the list box when I right click on a message in the folder pane and select tag (your second image).
It can very well be that it was never colored and that I'm thinking it was like that, since it is now malfunctioning.
tanstaafl wrote:Are you using a version of Thunderbird with a different locale (aka language) than en-US? Perhaps a Dutch version? I'm used to different locales changing text, icons, and default folder names but I've seen cases where a bug was locale specific. I haven't heard of one where a new feature was locale specific.
No, this is the US-version.
Arno Peeters
Tape TV Productions
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The message filtering is done locally by Thunderbird. It's possible to have filtering done by your email provider but you'd have to configure that in webmail, using a browser. It would also have different functionality, it wouldn't support tags for example.

I don't know why the color for tags in new mail in your gmail account stopped working when set using a message filter, and only works when you manually set/modify the tags. You've ruled out it being due to an add-on (occurs in safe mode), you've verified the tags are set by the message filter, and verified its a account specific problem (Ziggo account works fine).

I suggest you try rebuilding the folder listing by right clicking on the Gmail inbox folder in the folder pane, select properties, and then press the repair folder button. If the problem was due to a corrupt inbox.msf file that should fix it. If that doesn't help, I'm out of ideas for the moment.
tapetv

Post by tapetv »

Thanks for all your help. One thing to clarify: I'm using only one account from my own domain (tapetv.nl) and not Gmail.
To sum it up: It has worked for as long as I remember and all of a sudden, it doesn't. But when I try to replicate the problem using the Ziggo-account for testing, the TB-filter seems to assign the proper colors and in my tapetv-account it does not. I'll talk to my system admin to see if he can sort out what's happening.

Thanks again.
Arno Peeters
Tape TV Productions
tapetv

Post by tapetv »

Hi: back again with some more insights. My son, who happens to be my web-host, was able to reproduce the problem and linked it to an issue between Thunderbird and Dovecot (a mail-server engine).
Anyways: by accident he discovered that changing the way filters were ran from "Run Filter before Junk Classification" to after and un-ticking 'Manually Run', the correct tag-behavior (colors) was restored.
So it's a solution, but not an answer: any new ideas spring to mind when reading this?
Arno Peeters
Tape TV Productions
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Dovecot is a popular model of IMAP server. I'm skeptical its a simple as that. However, there are a good number of configuration specific bugs that effect message filters. I'd assume you ran into one.

IMAP servers send a response to a CAPABILITY command that identifies what features they have. Look in help -> troubleshooting information to see what the account id is for the tapetv.nl account. The same id is used for the corresponding server id. Use the config editor to look at mail.server.server1.capability , where 1 is replaced by the appropriate id. What is the setting set to?

That setting is used to record what the IMAP CAPABILITY response is set to. You used to be able to look up the values for the bitmap in https://mxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/so ... ImapCore.h . I think the equivalent nowadays is https://dxr.mozilla.org/comm-esr60/sour ... ImapCore.h . For example, 786977 is 0xC0221 hexadecimal, which means it supports IDLE, QUOTA, NAMESPACE, IMAP4rev1 and the CAPABILITY command. If you tell me what mail.server.serverN.capability is set to (where N is the appropriate id) I can see what capabilities the IMAP server claims to have, and compare it to similar settings for a couple of accounts such as yahoo, outlook and gmail.
/**
* IMAP server features, mostly CAPABILITY responses
* any set of the cap flags below, i.e.
* i.e. 0, 1 or more |eIMAPCapabilityFlag|.
*/
typedef uint64_t eIMAPCapabilityFlags;

const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kCapabilityUndefined = 0x00000000;
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kCapabilityDefined = 0x00000001;
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kHasAuthLoginCapability = 0x00000002; /* AUTH LOGIN (not the same as kHasAuthOldLoginCapability) */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kHasAuthOldLoginCapability = 0x00000004; /* original IMAP login method */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kHasXSenderCapability = 0x00000008;
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kIMAP4Capability = 0x00000010; /* RFC1734 */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kIMAP4rev1Capability = 0x00000020; /* RFC2060 */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kIMAP4other = 0x00000040; /* future rev?? */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kNoHierarchyRename = 0x00000080; /* no hierarchy rename */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kACLCapability = 0x00000100; /* ACL extension */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kNamespaceCapability = 0x00000200; /* IMAP4 Namespace Extension */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kHasIDCapability = 0x00000400; /* client user agent id extension */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kXServerInfoCapability = 0x00000800; /* XSERVERINFO extension for admin urls */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kHasAuthPlainCapability = 0x00001000; /* new form of auth plain base64 login */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kUidplusCapability = 0x00002000; /* RFC 2359 UIDPLUS extension */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kLiteralPlusCapability = 0x00004000; /* RFC 2088 LITERAL+ extension */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kAOLImapCapability = 0x00008000; /* aol imap extensions */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kHasLanguageCapability = 0x00010000; /* language extensions */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kHasCRAMCapability = 0x00020000; /* CRAM auth extension */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kQuotaCapability = 0x00040000; /* RFC 2087 quota extension */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kHasIdleCapability = 0x00080000; /* RFC 2177 idle extension */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kHasAuthNTLMCapability = 0x00100000; /* AUTH NTLM extension */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kHasAuthMSNCapability = 0x00200000; /* AUTH MSN extension */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kHasStartTLSCapability =0x00400000; /* STARTTLS support */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kHasAuthNoneCapability = 0x00800000; /* needs no login */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kHasAuthGssApiCapability = 0x01000000; /* GSSAPI AUTH */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kHasCondStoreCapability = 0x02000000; /* RFC 3551 CondStore extension */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kHasEnableCapability = 0x04000000; /* RFC 5161 ENABLE extension */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kHasXListCapability = 0x08000000; /* XLIST extension */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kHasCompressDeflateCapability = 0x10000000; /* RFC 4978 COMPRESS extension */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kHasAuthExternalCapability = 0x20000000; /* RFC 2222 SASL AUTH EXTERNAL */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kHasMoveCapability = 0x40000000; /* Proposed MOVE RFC */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kHasHighestModSeqCapability = 0x80000000; /* Subset of RFC 3551 */
// above are 32bit; below start the uint64_t bits 33-64
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kHasListExtendedCapability = 0x100000000LL; /* RFC 5258 */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kHasSpecialUseCapability = 0x200000000LL; /* RFC 6154: Sent, Draft etc. folders */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kGmailImapCapability = 0x400000000LL; /* X-GM-EXT-1 capability extension for gmail */
const eIMAPCapabilityFlag kHasXOAuth2Capability = 0x800000000LL; /* AUTH XOAUTH2 extension */
camielData1

Post by camielData1 »

Thanks Tanstaafl for this helpful answer. :!:
I'm joining Tapetv in this threat trying to figure out the capabilities of the connected IMAP server handled by dovecot. I'm trying to find the ID in help>troubleshooting information, but can't find a specific account id, I see: Application Basics, Mail and News Accounts, Crash Reports for the Last 3 Days, Extensions and so on. maybe I'm overlooking? also can't find the config-editor to see the logs between the server and TB, I do see tools>developer-tools>error-console but this not providing me the right info.

As far as I understand your post, we could unraffle if there are functions disabled by the IMAP server or the problem is fully related to TB misconfiguration witch affecting the message filters?

Thanks in advance