Sent Messages Not in Sent Folder

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
wpr

Sent Messages Not in Sent Folder

Post by wpr »

Using SeaMonkey 2.29.4 on Windows 7

I've seen some messages here on this topic and tried them, but lately my sent messages are not showing up in the sent folder. I tried both the "Sent" Folder on... and the "Other Folder", with the Sent folder being selected. I also tried the properties / repair, all to no success.

Anyone have a fix for this issue?

Thanks for any help.
DanRaisch

Re: Sent Messages Not in Sent Folder

Post by DanRaisch »

How is that account set up in SeaMonkey, as POP or IMAP?
wpr

Post by wpr »

Sorry, its a POP account.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Close Thunderbird and navigate to your Profile Folder ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Folder ). Find the file Sent.msf in the account sub-directory under the \Mail directory.. Note that there will be sets two files with the name Sent but only one of these will have the MSF extension. Delete the file with the MSF extension. Restart Thunderbird, compact all folders, and see if things are back to normal. Note that the MSF files do NOT contain your messages. They are, for lack of a better term, an index file and will be recreated by Thunderbird as required.
wpr

Post by wpr »

My problem was with SeaMonkey, not Thunderbird; though if it continues I may consider switching to TB and FF. I am a long time user of SeaMonkey, Mozilla, and Netscape; so I wouldn't want to change.

I had deleted both the sent.msf and sent files yesterday without success. This morning I tested and the sent file went properly into a SentOld folder, then I changed the 'store into' folder to Sent and it worked find, twice.

Thanks for your help.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Sorry, I misspoke there. The instructions, as you have seen, work for SeaMonkey as well as Thunderbird. Glad to hear things seem to be working now.
wpr

Post by wpr »

It seems my sending of replies or forwards is messed up.

I just tried doing each of those and the email doesn't appear when I get messages. No error message, no addition to the 'sent' folder, but the envelope icon does get the red or blue arrow added. The sending of a new message works fine.

Any ideas how to fix this issue?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
wpr

Post by wpr »

Sorry for not responding sooner. I had tried to begin using Firefox and Thunderbird, but Firefox kept losing my passwords so I've decided to stay with SeaMonkey, which I've been using for a long time.

Yes, using safe mode, the message is not copied to the Sent folder.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, try this procedure. First, backup your Profile ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup )

Create a new sub-folder under Local Folders. Move all of the messages currently in your Sent folder to that new subfolder.

Confirm that you have made the recommended backup of your Profile.

Close Thunderbird and navigate to your Profile folder. Delete both the file Sent.msf and the file Sent with no extension.

Restart Thunderbird and you should find a new, empty Sent folder in place. Copy any messages you MUST have in your Sent folder from the sub-folder created above to the Sent folder. Compact the Sent folder after those messages are copied in.

The "Real Fix" entry in this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders#Real_fix also describes this process.
wpr

Post by wpr »

I followed the steps listed, but still no success.

After deleting the Sent and Sent.msf files, when I reopened SeaMonkey the Sent file wasn't created until I successfully sent a message.

I then forwarded a message to another of my accounts. No copy in Sent file, forward indicator does show on envelope icon, and message was sent.

Any other ideas?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

the Sent file wasn't created until I successfully sent a message.
That would be as expected.

Who are the providers of the two accounts involved in that Forward procedure?
wpr

Post by wpr »

Both email accounts are with Spectrum. Since the message was successfully sent, but not copied to my Sent file, I have to believe the problem is with my SeaMonkey software.

Not that I want to do it, but do you think I should reinstall (I'm using portableapps.com SeaMonkey Portable) and see if this fixes the problem? I always view this as the last resort.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You could do that but, in general, uninstalling and reinstalling the application itself has absolutely no impact on your Profile, which is where saved data such as account settings, message files, etc is stored and where most problems originate.
wpr

Post by wpr »

My problem is still happening. I just confirmed that the save does work for a different account. Any other suggestions on what to try? Deleting the Sent.msf file didn't solve it.