Firefox has made Youtube unbearable

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
tubarn

Firefox has made Youtube unbearable

Post by tubarn »

The changes made to YouTube are terrible. They made everything harder; I'm wondering why? I used Firefox specifically to view YouTube and due to all the inconvenient changes will have to start using Chrome again. I don't understand why you would fix something that wasn't broken. I saw in someone else's post Mozilla blamed YouTube but I'm here to tell you it's not them because I can access everything just fine in Chrome. Just basically wanted to register my dissatisfaction with the changes.
Brummelchen

Re: Firefox has made Youtube unbearable

Post by Brummelchen »

Yt changed layout, nothing to blame mozilla.
James

Post by James »

Youtube makes changes, sometimes for good or bad to random users in testing or updates.

Firefox 66.0, 66.0.1, 66.0.2 made no changes to how Youtube looks or works in Firefox.
https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/releases/
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

tubarn wrote:The changes made to YouTube are terrible. They made everything harder; I'm wondering why? I used Firefox specifically to view YouTube and due to all the inconvenient changes will have to start using Chrome again. I don't understand why you would fix something that wasn't broken. I saw in someone else's post Mozilla blamed YouTube but I'm here to tell you it's not them because I can access everything just fine in Chrome. Just basically wanted to register my dissatisfaction with the changes.
Unless I'm reading your (red) post incorrectly, you seem to think that we here in this site have anything to do with the creation of Firefox... that is not the case... this site is just an independent user site set up long ago to help users.

Now, I have no problems using YouTube here so you might want to at least do a couple of tests to see if something in your profile is causing issues...

Try running Firefox in safe-mode... NOTE: This is a testing procedure only ... NOT for normal browsing.
-- On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled....
Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Click continue in Safe Mode and don't check any items.

Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while Single/Double clicking on the icon.
* (option key while starting Firefox on Mac).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>What safe-mode does ..... Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled. --- * The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default theme is used, without a persona. --- * The default toolbar layout is used.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled. --- * Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.

This is the link to the main KB article for Safe-Mode ... but, use the above info 1st...
Safe Mode - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

See what happens with a new test profile... and test with it as-is...
Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
And,.... DON'T TOUCH THAT "Choose Folder..." BUTTON! ... unless you fully know all about it.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
baerd

Post by baerd »

I often use the https://invidio.us/ site with Firefox. It's an alternative front-end to YouTube ( https://www.patreon.com/omarroth ). I don't have problems anymore where the YouTube page takes forever to load or have freezing issues when switching tabs. There is also an extension called Invidious Redirect ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search ) that will redirect youtube links to Invidious.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

tubarn wrote:The changes made to YouTube are terrible. They made everything harder; I'm wondering why? I used Firefox specifically to view YouTube and due to all the inconvenient changes will have to start using Chrome again. I don't understand why you would fix something that wasn't broken. I saw in someone else's post Mozilla blamed YouTube but I'm here to tell you it's not them because I can access everything just fine in Chrome. Just basically wanted to register my dissatisfaction with the changes.
What changes, specifically, are you referring to?

One new thing:

Some Firefox 66 users are getting autoplay -- the kind that kicks in on the initial page load, not the kind that loads the next video after that -- disabled by default. To re-enable it, use the weird new icon in the address bar. See: https://support.mozilla.org/kb/block-autoplay
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

tubarn wrote:The changes made to YouTube are terrible. They made everything harder; I'm wondering why?
Ask them.
tubarn wrote: I used Firefox specifically to view YouTube and due to all the inconvenient changes will have to start using Chrome again.
We don't care.
tubarn wrote: I'm here to tell you it's not them because I can access everything just fine in Chrome.
YouTube looks the same on Firefox 66.0.2 as it does on Chrome 73.0.3683.103.

Have no idea what you are talking about.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

YouTube looks and acts the same in both Firefox and Chrome here. So, uhm, yeah. Well, except for the left-side menu which is more compact in Firefox due to some Stylus over-rides I made.

Code: Select all

ytd-guide-subscriptions-section-renderer {
    --paper-item-min-height: 24px !important;
}
ytd-guide-section-renderer {
    --paper-item-min-height: 24px !important;
}

#guide-inner-content.ytd-app { overflow-y: visible !important; }
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

It seems apparent that the OP's profile has some sort of issue. To the OP, you might have to use a brand new Profile. Before you do that, try this extension. If doesn't work properly, then there's no doubt your Profile has an issue. Not that I've used every extension there is, my opinion is that 'Enhancer for YouTube' is in the top 5 best extensions for FF.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... r-youtube/
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

8 days since the OP made that post and has not returned... so, it was probably just a bitch-session with no desire to resolve the issue....waste of our time?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!