2.49.4 very laggy ??

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
smallhagrid

2.49.4 very laggy ??

Post by smallhagrid »

From time to time I try SM again, always as a portable.
(Part of my drive to see how it is running is my desire to view YT videos - which it does when it is not crashing).

I have just gotten & opened 2.49.4 and thus far I am mostly disappointed.
It has already crashed once, and halts again & again when doing normal stuff like opening a page or even when typing as in - right here, right now.
This makes it hard to use for me as it is not obvious that a keystroke or click has worked, or not...
It is also using more resources than either of my other 2 preferred Mozilla-based browsers.

Considering the above I ask these questions, please:
- Is there a way to make SM faster & more responsive ??
- Is there a way to JUST have the browser portion alone somehow ??

Additionally, I wonder if there is anything currently working for it that is similar to Tab Mix Plus, which is a long time favourite addon of mine ??

I searched and found nothing recent - just an ancient Google Groups thread, and this 3+ year old thread:
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29603 ... -SeaMonkey

Thanks for any helpful replies !!
frg

Re: 2.49.4 very laggy ??

Post by frg »

Can't say I share your view. Without seeing the crash reports I would look at hardware or profile corruption first. Also make sure you are running latest classic NoScript and uBlock Origin or many of todays badly designed websites will just gobble up memory and cpu cycles.

You can try the latest unofficial 2.49.5 or 2.53:
http://www.wg9s.com/comm-esr/

2.53 is significantly better for me but nothing is perfect.

FRG
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

smallhagrid wrote:From time to time I try SM again, always as a portable.
...and using the same old profile in Roaming on your C Drive as last time? That can be a problem.

People assume that Portable Apps of SM and FF are going to use self-contained clean profiles on a C Drive, but they don't.
Considering the above I ask these questions, please:
There is no 'considering above'. Other people's SMs don't crash, don't hang on typing and certainly don't use more resources than Firefox or Thunderbird and that reflects my experience as well. This pretty much means that there is no inherent SeaMonkey fault.

So, you are down to basic troubleshooting here. Quickly try SafeMode - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode and see if it's better. Then try a new additional testing profile - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows which takes under 10 minutes to do.

After that there's various things on Windows that can be checked, including your anti-virus.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
therube

Post by therube »

Is there a way to JUST have the browser portion alone somehow
The other parts are relatively small - size-wise, relatively immaterial.
Likewise I would think they'd have insignificant or no affect on "browser" operations.

Lightning (& ChatZilla) can be removed.

Now, I'd also think that these other parts probably make "browser" code more difficult, less robust, then if it were cut back to "browser" only.
That said, SeaMonkey is robust as it is.

Tobin, may put out a browser, at some point, based at least in part on SeaMonkey.
That will be interesting to see.

If you build your own, you too could do a "browser only" build.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
smallhagrid

Post by smallhagrid »

Thanks for the replies here folks !!

Hmmm...lets see if I can catch all of this in one...

FRG:
Thanks for the pointer to 2.53 - that is news to me & I may try it (hopefully its zip is truly portable).
As to my uses of SM=>
Simple testing for me only...get the portable - extract & open it - try to visit a YT link directly - it stops & sits there - or just closes itself.
Other simple, normal actions - similar results.
Nothing terribly special or deep here, just seeing what works well at a couple of sites I use daily - or not.
Normally I mostly use K-Meleon and Mypal - with ZERO troubles due to lag, but YT is a non-option with those, mostly.

Frank Lion:

C: drive for portables ?? Absurd.
I am a career tech & very carefully keep my system free of winrot - all else runs as smoothly as glass.
This was posted because it is so radically different from what I see in all else that I use, daily.
My AV doesn't bother several other browsers unless it detects some badware at a site - so why blame it for SM lagginess ??

Therube:
Thanks for your multiple replies to my query posted here & at DSLReports.

What I notice when asking things about anybody's pet s/w at its forum is pretty much always the same:
It usually starts with defensiveness with a healthy helping of snarkiness as well as the obvious assumption that the poster is an idiot end user, being viewed as wasting the time & efforts of those who (also obviously...) know SO much more.
Example=>
I replied to an ancient thread here about bottom tabs just in case there might be any news - got scolded & that thread was closed.
Of course I had searched 1st, which is how I found that thread along with others that had useless, unhelpful non-answers.

That is not the situation here, with this user - I am neither a clueless end-user, nor an idiot.
When I hear of a new browser version after not trying it for a while, I seek real portables at the 2 sites I trust for such news;
If there aren't too many gripes, I will get it & try it from my temp partition before either moving it to permanent storage for regular uses, or to the bitbucket if it is a total disappointment.

Regarding SM specifically as I prefer to use it:
The way SM's browser is laid out is pretty much exactly as I prefer a browser to be - except for the lack of bottom tabs.
For email I use Thunderbird Portable in 2 iterations with zero problems - and no other functions of SM are needed by this user.

I didn't post here for hitting-on-the-head lessons, thanks;
I can bang my head against any wall without help - but since I'm not into self-harm, I'll pass on that entire idea.
I -did- post here hoping for some helpful replies from those who may know more than I do.

Sometimes just trying to stick with a good thing just doesn't bring good results;
I say this as a formerly devout Firefox user.
frg

Post by frg »

> Simple testing for me only...get the portable - extract & open it - try to visit a YT link directly - it stops & sits there - or just closes itself.

Well as said. This is not normal behaviour or you would see a lot more reports here. If it crashes post a crash id from about:crashes. 2.49.5 and 2.53 have a fix for later Nvidia drivers in. Your signature shows that you are still on Windows XP. Even there 2.49 does not crash for me. 2.53 no longer supports XP so try 2.49.5 which will be the last version for it.
smallhagrid

Post by smallhagrid »

Yes - I quit active windows involvement with XP, which I still run in a VM under Linux.

Thanks for the pointers !!
kerft

Post by kerft »

If your testing of Seamonkey is in a XP virtual machine, make sure you have allocated the virtual machine enough memory, hard disk space, and in XP enabled swap file. Youtube can easily use 1GB and running out of memory is an easy way to crash.

Seamonkey, Firefox or some other browsers can play most Youtube videos on Linux. Youtube will function with non-patented codecs for most videos if you set your preferences on the youtube site to play html5 video. Some Firefox extensions (or similar for other browsers) will encourage youtube to use html5 video also. If you use youtube in your host Linux, performance may be much better than in a VM.
smallhagrid

Post by smallhagrid »

Thanks Kerft !!
My use of yt is very minimal within the guest OS, but it does have ample RAM & space as well as an actual swap/temp partition within the VM.

Serious, heavy demand browsing is indeed easily handled by the host OS.
My interest in SM was aimed at seeing whether it did better than either K-Meleon or Mypal within the VM - and sadly, it did not.
Even before my yt test SM was halting & just sitting there.

As with the many users who are keeping XP as their final M$ OS, it is disappointing to me how that simple fact of life is being so carefully ignored - especially as pertains to browsers & media.
This is really the only reason I begrudgingly moved from win2kpro to XP - or that would still be my OS of choice.
therube

Post by therube »

within the VM
So you only run into the issue when running in the VM - not outside?
(Or am I reading too much into what you said?)

Also, crash reports (about:crashes) might still be interesting to see.

(And yes, I understand you're not particularly concerned about this at this point.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
smallhagrid

Post by smallhagrid »

Haven't tried SM in the host OS, but seeing these:
https://www.linuxbabe.com/ubuntu/how-to ... untu-16-04
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ubuntuzilla/

I may at some point...