Cannot find my bcc recipients in emails I've sent

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Randysea

Cannot find my bcc recipients in emails I've sent

Post by Randysea »

I sometimes send myself an email with 15 or so BCCs, like for announcing an event. I know it's working because I get replies. But I cannot retrieve a list of recipients of the BCCs in the Sent mail. I have tried looking at the message source and full headers. Still can't find the list.

The above was confirmed with an email I sent a few days ago. Just now, I tried the same with 3 BCC recipients. I can see them in the Sent mail. So, could this issue possibly be related to the number of BCC recipients? I have no way to test this myself. I don't want to bother my friends by sending them multiple test messages.

Thunderbird 60.6.1 (32 bit) in Windows 10 (64 bit)
Using POP & SMTP on my own domain.
DanRaisch

Re: Cannot find my bcc recipients in emails I've sent

Post by DanRaisch »

could this issue possibly be related to the number of BCC recipients?
If so it is not a Thunderbird limitation. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Limits_-_Thunderbird
Randysea

Post by Randysea »

Oh, well. That was just a guess. Now I won't try to follow up on that idea.

Meanwhile, i still have no idea why my bcc recipients sometimes aren't showing up in emails in the Sent box.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Who is the email provider?
Have you tried sending from the web mail page of that provider to see if that makes a difference?
How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.

Moving to Thunderbird Support.
Randysea

Post by Randysea »

As noted in OP, Thunderbird 60.6.1 (32 bit) in Windows 10 (64 bit)
Using POP & SMTP on my own domain.

Email host provider is u2-web.com. Since the BCCs are being delivered, I can't see how it could be a provider issue.

I could start doing all my emails containing BCCs using only webmail, but that would be a royal pain. It's why I use Thunderbird in the first place.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I could start doing all my emails containing BCCs using only webmail, but that would be a royal pain.
I wasn't suggesting that you do that. The point was to test and see whether the Sent folder on the server showed all BCC addresses for messages where Thunderbird does not.
Randysea

Post by Randysea »

DanRaisch wrote:
The point was to test and see whether the Sent folder on the server showed all BCC addresses for messages where Thunderbird does not.
Ok, now I understand your point. I just tried it. I sent to myself and three BCCs using webmail. All three BCCs showed up in the webmail Sent folder.

But that is the same as what happened earlier today when I did exactly the same thing in TB. My three BCCs showed correctly in TB's Sent folder. That's where I got the idea that maybe 15+ BCCs in TB work differently than 3 BCCs.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Understood. I just tested with three BCC addresses and found no issues but, like you don't want to involve friends in the test to have more BCC addresses to send to. I have no additional suggestions for you other than to test the next message you have to send with a much larger number of BCC addresses.
Randysea

Post by Randysea »

I just sent out a mailing with 40 addresses in BCC. They all showed as BCCs in my Sent folder. However, the addresses were all in a single List in my address book, plus one manual entry in addition.

I just put the list name in BCC and added the one manually. It is not exactly comparable to what I referred to in my OP. There I had individually entered 15+ addresses in BCC.

Someday when I have more time and an appropriate mailing, I may try again a long manual entry.
MdniteEagl

Post by MdniteEagl »

I actually have enough email addresses from various domains to send 15 BCCs all to myself. This was sent from a domain I own, IMAP, hosted by HostMonster.com. From and To were the same address, then I sent to 15 separate BCC addresses. Windows 10 Pro, TB 60.6.1 32-bit, computer was new last June with profile since that time. In the Sent folder of TB, the email opens showing all 15 BCC recipients individually as I expected. (It initially shows the first 5 of them with a link "10 more", which then presents all 15 when clicked.)
Tower: HP EliteDesk 705 G3 - Win 10 Pro - AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 1500 - 64GB (4x16GB) 2133MHz DDR4 - Fox 77.0.1/TB 68.9/Edge 83.0
Laptop: HP ZBook 17 G4 - Win 10 Pro for Workstations - Intel Xeon E3-1535M - 64GB (4x16GB) 2400MHz DDR4 - Fox 77.0.1/TB 68.9/Edge 83.0