Seamonkey doesn't send emails

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Ellioz

Seamonkey doesn't send emails

Post by Ellioz »

Greetings,

I have a problem which is both simple and annoying : I cannot send mails with the mail module of Seamonkey.

Before that, I used CCleaner on my Seamonkey profile - which seems to have been a bad idea. I then had my passwords, for the email module of Seamonkey, deleted, and I had to check "Use passwords" in Edit/preferences / security/ passwords so that Seamonkey saves my email passwords (for incoming mails) again.

Now that my password problem is solved (for the incoming mails) - I no longer have to enter mail password every time I view mails in Seamonkey - I cannot send mail. I create an email and when I click on "Send", absolutely nothing happens. I've tried this with every email account I have on Seamonkey, whether there is text or not in my email...

What is my possible is that, when I cleaned up my profile with CCleaner, the password for sending the email was deleted and that now I have to re-enter it. But I don't know how. When I click on "Send", Seamonkey doesn't ask for any password. But I know that, for any email account, Seamonkey saves two passwords : one for incoming mails (usually imap or pop) and one for outcoming emails (smtp usually). I think that if my passwods for incoming mails were deleted, passwords for outcoming mails must have been deleted, too.
DanRaisch

Re: Seamonkey doesn't send emails

Post by DanRaisch »

Before that, I used CCleaner on my Seamonkey profile - which seems to have been a bad idea.
As noted in your other thread: A very bad idea.

There is no way to manually enter a password in SeaMonkey and the program will only ask for a password when it connects to the server and the server requests the password. If you are not seeing a dialogue requesting your password when trying to send it's likely there is something wrong other than stored passwords.

In the email window, check menu path Edit->Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings. At the bottom of the left hand pane click on "Outgoing Server (SMTP)->see if there are any entries in the right top of the displayed dialogue. If so, make sure that the server settings are correct based on the requirements of your email providers. (Who are those providers?)
Ellioz

Post by Ellioz »

OK I go to mail / edit / account settings and I just checked the SMTP settings :

mail.gmx.com ; port 587 ; normal password ; STARTTLS

smtp.gmail.com ; port 587 ; normal password ; STARTTLS

smtp.mail.yahoo.com ; port 465 ; normal password ; SSL/TLS

smtp-mail.outlook.com ; port 587 ; normal password ; SSL/TLS

Now, what seems interesting (to me) : if I choose to mail.gmx.com a port of 999, the result is just the same, I click on "Send" on the upper left and nothing happens.

I must add that all these settings worked perfectly fine before I made this unfortunate cleaning with CCleaner.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

smtp-mail.outlook.com ; port 587 ; normal password ; SSL/TLS
Those are not the values that work for my Hotmail/Outlook account. Try changing to the following:

smtp.office368.com; port 587; Normal Password; STARTTLS
Ellioz

Post by Ellioz »

I am sorry I had no time to do this before. I just changed, for the outlook account, the "smtp-mail.outlook.com" to "smtp.office368.com" and the connection to STARTTLS.

However, it didn't change that I cannot send email with that email account.

I wonder if I could change something in the options / about:config.

I join here the about:config with smtp as filter.

http://www.noelshack.com/2019-03-5-1547 ... config.png

Are there values in particular that need to be in the about:config or in the email options?

Thanks to anyone trying to help me.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You shouldn't have to change anything in about confirm if the proper settings for the SMTP server have been entered in the dialogue for that purpose.

What security software are you running on that system?
Ellioz

Post by Ellioz »

My antivirus software is Bitdefender free.

It might be that my email sending problem comes from the antivirus. At about the same time (in November last year), I had used CCleaner and installed Bitdefender.

It might be any of both.

But I just tried to turn off the antivirus and I couldn't send any email - it's not that simple.
Ellioz

Post by Ellioz »

I've just parametered a new gmail account on SeaMonkey.

imap.gmail.com SSL/TLS 993
smtp.gmail.com STARTTLS 587

but the same happens and I can only receive mails, not send them. I still wonder where that might come from?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, few things:

First, set CCleaner to not do anything at all with Thunderbird or any element of Thunderbird. There's a long history on these forums of CCleaner damaging Thunderbird profiles.

Second, is there any error message appearing when you try to send through that new Gmail account?

Third, are you entering your full Gmail address as the user name for the new account?

Finally, try launching Windows 7 in Safe Mode with Networking. That will temorarily eliminate BitDefender from the picture and let you see if that is blocking outgoing messages.
Ellioz

Post by Ellioz »

1. You can be sure that I won't use CCleaner anymore on Seamonkey/Firefox/Thunderbird.

2. When I send an email with any account (I've tried them all), there is no error message showing

3. The name of the new email account is my full Gmail adresse

4. I've launched Safe Mode with networking. Unfortunately, I still couldn't send emails with any email account on my current Seamonkey profile.

5. And the best for the end. I've created today a new Seamonkey profile just to try. I could, with this new profile, send an email with my new Gmail account. I did this while Windows 7 wasn't in Safe Mode anymore and Bitdefender was running. Which means that the problem comes from my Seamonkey profile and not from the antivirus.

I know what I have to do - it's also the last thing I want to do, but I have no choice : recreate my old, CCleaner-corrupted, Seamonkey profile on a new Seamonkey profile with everything working.
It will take time to export / import bookmarks, get the same theme and addon and preferences on my new Seamonkey profile, but I have to do this.

Unless you know how to de-corrupt my Seamonkey profile that is the only one solution. It will take time. I prefer to delete all unuseful emails first.

It's because of this unpalatable work that I won't use CCleaner anymore on Seamonkey profiles. I'll remember this.

Thank you for your help - because thanks to you, I now know where the problem comes from.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Before trying to rebuild the whole SeaMonkey profile when it seems to be only the Send process that is failing, check the SMTP settings in the new, working profile with those in the old. If they appear the same, you might change the values in the old profile to incorrect/invalid values, close and restart that instance of SeaMonkey, and then reset those SMTP values to match those in the new profile.
Ellioz

Post by Ellioz »

Greetings,

I've changed my mind. Now I would like to try to repair the broken profile by tinkering in the about:config.

The premise of this is, something in the about:config must be false, and by resetting it it would restore the ability of sending emails.

It is possible this premise not to be true...

However, is it possible to :
1. save the current about:config. If it were just a single file to copy paste, it would be super easy.
2. resetting the about:config
3. perhaps restoring the new about:config after the reset

If you think that, or my premise is wrong, or that it cannot be done, you can tell me. I am no informatician and it might be too difficult for someone like me to do.

I would like to do this because it seems very hard to recreate a profile. In particular, I would like to try to download a new lastpass and adblock extension. I don't find early blue either.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Ellioz wrote:I've changed my mind. Now I would like to try to repair the broken profile by tinkering in the about:config.
Put about:profiles in the addressbar and Enter.

On the 'profile in use' entry there, you want Root Directory and then Open Folder and Windows Explorer will then pop up showing your profile contents.

Close SeaMonkey, then rename prefs.js to prefs1.js and restart SM. You're done.

However, if it was me, I'd spend more time on this side - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14824396
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Ellioz

Post by Ellioz »

I haven't done it yet, but it looks really great. Thank you.
Ellioz

Post by Ellioz »

I just found what prevented me from sending emails...

It was EarlyBlue. No joke. I created another profile so that my emails could work. They did, until I pasted my old extensions (because I often couldn't reinstall them from about:addons), among which was EarlyBlue.

I then asked myself why I couldn't send emails since this Copy/Paste. I pasted my extensions to another place, then erased them from my profile - I could again send emails. Then I pasted the extensions to my profile, all of them first (email sending was not working) then one per one - and I discovered it was EarlyBlue which prevented me from sending emails.

I tried to reinstall EarlyBlue from

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/se ... es/?page=1

and again I could'nt send emails.

So perhaps there is a procedure to report bugs to the EarlyBlue developpers so that they know what their extension can do. I hope no one else had the same problem.