RSS Tuning

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ksena222

RSS Tuning

Post by ksena222 »

Hello,
i have quite a lot of RSS feeds in Thunderbird. I cannot update them all at once or Thunderbird will crash. If I update parts of the RSS it isn't crashing, though it slows down. Also virtual forders needs some seconds to work.

Are there any tricks to tune Thunderbird beyond what is written on the article "Performance - Thunderbird", specially for RSS feeds ?

Thank you for any help.
tanstaafl

Re: RSS Tuning

Post by tanstaafl »

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ho ... #w_updates says "Starting in Thunderbird 60, each feed's update interval may be individually set. If the checkbox Check for new articles is unchecked, the feed is 'paused'" So you might want to change each feeds update interval so that the ones with less traffic are checked less frequently.

From: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &hilit=rss
"Bug #1479434 "Check for new articles at startup is a legacy thing which I should have removed. About a minute after startup, all feeds are now checked to see if their update frequency has expired and pause state. So check at startup is pretty useless."" This change was made in version 60.0.

Sorry if that doesn't help. I don't use RSS.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Saved_Search

Online searches will give you more accurate results than offline searches, but will initially take longer to load. You need to decide which matters more to you, based on the traffic you get and how you work. Personally, I always configure virtual folders for online searches.
ksena222

Post by ksena222 »

Thank you tanstaatfl for your answers. It is always very helpful.

Rss feeds:
Yes it worked to make Thunderbird a bit faster, by change the feed intervals. Is there actually a possibility to set the intervall in the folder, which includes a lot of feeds, instead of having to set every feed on its own ?

Online Searches:
It seems that when i use RSS feeds for virtual folders, that i just can use offline search anyways, the option for online search is not possible to choose. I guess for the speed i would need a faster computer.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Sorry, I don't know if you can set the interval in the folder instead of the feeds. I haven't used RSS for many years.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

No, feed update intervals must be individually set on each feed, via UI. I suppose you can edit feeds.rdf with Tb closed and find replace the right thing. Feeds are always stored locally, so there's no Online, unless you have a filter to move them to an IMAP account (a way of allowing multiple devices to access them).

If you read the definitive guide carefully, you will notice there is an advanced pref that throttles the number of simultaneous feeds that can be active at one time per polling interval. This, along with staggered update intervals, should make background processing fairly transparent during a session. About a minute after startup, they may all go off as intervals have expired, so the throttle is your friend.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ho ... -and-blogs
ksena222

Post by ksena222 »

Thank you for both of your help. It worked.

I applied the change "lowering the number of feeds simultaneously updated" (rss.max_concurrent_feeds in the Config Editor)
I didn't figure out the to change the update interval through "edit feeds.rdf " and better don't mess with it.

I tested the settings a bit longer to be sure. Since changing "the number of feeds simultaneously updated" i didn't have a crash anymore. It is also less lagging, so i can browse and read meanwhile the feeds are updating. It takes a bit longer, but works more stable. Combined with "changing update frequency of more important feeds", it works quite fine. Hopefully one day updating fequency on folder with more feeds in it will be possible.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: