Copy SeaMonkey Passwords to Firefox

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
wpr

Copy SeaMonkey Passwords to Firefox

Post by wpr »

Does anyone know an easy way to copy my many IDs and passwords from SeaMonkey to Firefox?

Thanks for any help.
DanRaisch

Re: Copy SeaMonkey Passwords to Firefox

Post by DanRaisch »

You could try copying over the files signons.sqlite and key3.db.
wpr

Post by wpr »

Thanks Dan.

I'm using Firefox portable and the files you noted are not in it's folders. I have a key4.db but no signons.sqlite.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, copy that file and logins.json from Firefox to SeaMonkey and see if that works for you.
wpr

Post by wpr »

No, that didn't work. I copied key3.db and signons.sqlite from my SM folder to my FF folder, restarted FF, but no IDs and passwords. I then looked in the FF folder and both key3.db and signons.sqlite disappeared.
frg

Post by frg »

Firefox and later SeaMonkey versions than 2.49.5 now use key4.db and cert9.db.
wpr

Post by wpr »

Thank you.

My SM folder has key3.db and cert8.db files. My FF folder has key4.db and cert9.db files. Do you think my copying the two source files and changing their names would provide the IDs and passwords?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Ah, sorry. The older files are apparently still present in my profiles after updates and I didn't catch the newer file names.
wpr

Post by wpr »

Copying and renaming the two files didn't work. Is there any way to save an ID/password file from SM and then load it into FF, in a similar fashion to the copying of bookmarks?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

wpr wrote:Does anyone know an easy way to copy my many IDs and passwords from SeaMonkey to Firefox?
Yep, with SM closed, copy key3.db and cert8.db from the SM profile and paste them into your Firefox profile, Firefox itself should also be closed.

Now, in the Firefox profile, rename the existing files, key4.db and cert9.db., to key41.db and cert91.db. Finally restart Firefox and you're done.

People miss that Firefox also used to use the key3.db and cert8.db files. This means that unless Firefox had an internal system to convert the former system to its current system, then every Firefox user would have lost their passwords when they updated to the version with the current password file system. Hence, why this works.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
wpr

Post by wpr »

Thank for your reply, but I followed your steps and the passwords did not show up.

Of course, every time I copy one or more files, I then have to reenter the appropriate ID and password for this and other sites.

Is there any way to just create an extract file from the appropriate SM ID/password database and then load it into Firefox or its appropriate database?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

wpr wrote:Thank for your reply, but I followed your steps and the passwords did not show up.
Sorry to hear that. In addition to already knowing how this stuff works, I did also take the precaution before posting of testing it all with my SM and Firefox.

In other words, it does work....if that helps.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
wpr

Post by wpr »

Thanks for your help.

I messed around with this for quite some time and it seems to be working. In my FF profile folder I have both cert8.db and cert9.db. They have the exact same modified date showing in Windows Explorer, but cert8.db is 1,216kb and cert9.db is 640kb. They key4.db file has the same modified date as the cert files, with a size of 288kb.

I'm a long time user of SeaMonkey (many decades), Mozilla before that, Netscape before that; so switching to FF and TB will be a slight learning process.