Seamonkey constantly not responding

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
hayley3

Seamonkey constantly not responding

Post by hayley3 »

1. I also have considerable lag after clicking on anything.
2. I cannot visit websites that have advertisements without having to resort to using Task Manager to close out Seamonkey and restart the browser.
3. I type and have to wait for Seamonkey to catch up. I get the blue circle often.
4. I do not have the same issues with Chrome but I do not want to use Chrome.

I have put up with this for a while..not sure when it began.

Any help appreciated,
Cheryl
kerft

Re: Seamonkey constantly not responding

Post by kerft »

Chrome no longer uses Flash by default, but Seamonkey has not yet blocked it. You might have Flash still installed. In the plugin manager, try disabling it is called Shockwave Flash and then restart.
hayley3

Post by hayley3 »

Why would we want to block it...? It seems some web sites won't work without it.
hayley3

Post by hayley3 »

I did go ahead and disabled it but still have the same issues.
kerft

Post by kerft »

It is used for some games, but few websites use it anymore. I only mention it because it some ads play in Flash and you say that ads are especially causing problems. Flash will be discontinued by Adobe at the end of 2020. I didn't say to uninstall it, only to disable it, which can be reversed with a few clicks.
hayley3

Post by hayley3 »

Yep, that's what I did...thanks.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
hayley3

Post by hayley3 »

Yes, same thing.
hayley3

Post by hayley3 »

Also one thing I notice is...I'll open a msg...and click on a link and while I'm looking at the web page I linked to, the email msg pops open, and so while I'm trying to scroll down the page I can't until the msg pops up. When I close it then I am able to scroll again.
frg

Post by frg »

I suggest you use NoScript Classic and uBlock Origin Legacy:
https://secure.informaction.com/downloa ... -5.1.9.xpi

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/relea ... -1.16.4.10

Without an add and script blocker the "modern" web is unusable for me. Some sites pull more that 20 other in and execute Javascript to show adds and other junk. You are alos vulerable to any zero day script kiddy hack. You can always whitelist specifc sites.
hayley3

Post by hayley3 »

So it does it even in mail. It does it here just typing a reply. It also does it on web pages that have no advertising. Clicking on different tabs, it stops responding.
I reinstalled it but it didn't help.
hayley3

Post by hayley3 »

So I found my issue. I had a gyazo page open which is essentially just an image. It is a static page so I do not have a clue what was causing me to have such lag. But thank god I found it. I still have a slight lag but nothing like before. I can actually type at least.
therube

Post by therube »

URL to the page causing the issue?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
hayley3

Post by hayley3 »

No but I didn't realize there are ads on the page...two below where I couldn't see them. Normally I had not had issues. I've had seamonkey since 2006 as you can see, and I've never had an issue like that before. I should've just closed all the windows to start with.
I still can't visit blogs with advertisements though, which is frustrating as well. I use chrome too often because Seamonkey freezes.