Migrating email Profiles

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
risk_reversal

Migrating email Profiles

Post by risk_reversal »

Hi,

I am currently using SM 2.46 (full version, not portable) and have 2 profiles that I use for emails. Both are IMAP on an XP machine.

I wanted to migrate these 2 profiles to another pc using Win7.

Previously when migrating profiles between XP machines, I would create profiles folders with identical names and then copy the contents of the 'old' SeaMonkey profile folder (with the same name(s)) into the 'new' SeaMonkey folder(s) created.

ie create profile General in 'new' SeaMonkey (which exists in 'old' SeaMonkey), delete its contents and then copy the contents of xxxxxxxx.General from the old SeaMonkey profile folder into the General folder of the new SM.

Given that I am migrating from an XP machine to a Win 7 machine, I was wondering whether this method remains the same or whether the folder and file structure has changed between XP & Win7 such that this method can no longer be used.

Many thanks for any info provided
DanRaisch

Re: Migrating email Profiles

Post by DanRaisch »

The location for the SeaMonkey profile has changed between XP and Win 7. See this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folde ... dows_users
risk_reversal

Post by risk_reversal »

Yes I am aware of the location change of the SM folder between XP & Win7.

Can migrating the profile folder as detailed in my original post above be carried out between XP and Win7?

Many thanks
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

There have been changes in the files that store passwords and encryption keys between version 2.46 and the current version (2.49.4) but if you install version 2.46 on the Win 7 machine you should be OK using the procedure you describe.
risk_reversal

Post by risk_reversal »

Many thanks.

I will be migrating to the same version, 2.46, on the Win7 machine. I take it from your response that this should be fine.

Many thanks
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Yes, as I said in my last post.
frg

Post by frg »

Should be fine. Any reason why you are still on 2.46? More and more websites don't work with it.
risk_reversal

Post by risk_reversal »

DanRaisch wrote:Yes, as I said in my last post.
Many thanks
frg wrote:Should be fine. Any reason why you are still on 2.46? More and more websites don't work with it.
Only using this version as an email client . Using later Portable versions for surfing

Cheers