forgot psswords

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
artfoxx

forgot psswords

Post by artfoxx »

HI! sorry if I lost the last request I had and its answer.

I had a PC crash caused by using what I thought to be a 3rd party program to
get rid of viruses, malware. I have since deleted it but the tech support from that program said files can't be restored. I would not recommend to anyone this program called ASR.com.

Anyway, I now have a SeaMonkey 2.94 and I set up the email reader BUT every time I try to send an email the password box appears and says the function failed authentication and enter a new password and that keeps on happening. Can someone please give me directions "by the numbers" to get this problem solved. Thank you very much.
amrad

Re: forgot psswords

Post by amrad »

I assume you mean SeaMonkey 2.49 not 2.94! Your User Agent string shows that you are using 2.49.4, which is the latest official release.

In SeaMonkey Mail, go to: Edit | Mail & Newsgroup Settings | Server Settings | Security Settings

Check that in Connection Security you have SSL/TLS and in Authentication method you have Normal password.

Also check your outgoing mail settings here: Edit | Mail & Newsgroup Settings | Outgoing Server | Edit

In Security and Authentication check that the Connection security and Authentication method are set the same as above.

Regards,

Dave.
artfoxx

Post by artfoxx »

Thanks Dave for your response. However no matter what password I enter it is not accepted. You were right I am using 2.49.4!!
Is there a hidden file that keeps some sort of inventory of prior passwords that need to be cleared so that any new password I select will be entered into this hidden file so that when I try to get new messages and I am asked for a new a password it will work?
Regards
Artfoxx
amrad

Post by amrad »

@artfox,

Your passwords are stored in the file signons.sqlite. With SeaMonkey closed you could try renaming it to something like oldsignons.sqlite and see if that helps. Signons.sqlite will be recreated when you re-start SeaMonkey. If that cures the problem, your signons.sqlite file must be corrupted, so it would be best to delete it and start from scratch.

Who is your ISP? It might be that they have different settings than those that you are using.

Regards,

Dave.
artfoxx

Post by artfoxx »

Hello Dave: thanks again for your solution. However I could not find signons.sqlite anywhere. I do have 10 other *.sqlite e.g.:

contents-pref cookies downloads formhistory kinto permissions places storage unrbanhistory webappsstore

So I am stuck and hope that you can provide any additional thoughts.

In actual fact I was hoping to transfer a former profile which is still in my c:windowsold/users/appdata/roaming/mozilla/my profile that has all my old stuff - particularly my address book, mail and folders I created to "store" prior emails. I am not concerned with any current emails being lost since I can get them from a different location. There doesn't seem to be a straight forward explanation how to do this or is there?
Thanks again for anything you can suggest
Regards
Art
amrad

Post by amrad »

Hello Art,

You will probably need to 'show hidden files and folders' in Windows to be able to see signons.sqlite. The path to signons.sqlite is: C:\users\<your name>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default where 'xxxxxxxx' is a random eight-character string.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Dave.
hardys

Post by hardys »

If you don't care about some lost mails, you can try to move your current profile to another place and then copy your old profile to users/appdata/roaming/mozilla/
After starting SM everything should work as expected.