Thunderbird not downloading attachments

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Trelos

Thunderbird not downloading attachments

Post by Trelos »

I've been using Thunderbird for about a year now without any issues.

I've changed the way I receive emails lately.
I went from using a POP/IMAP setup to using the ExQuilla for Microsoft Exchange addon to connect to my outlook.com account.

If I set up the same account on Outlook 2016, then I can see all the emails and the attachments (PDF Documents) in my folders.
On Thunderbird, I can see only the message body and images attached to that message body (eg, company logo's) but no actual attachments.

Is this a bug with the ExQuilla addon or is this a Thunderbird issue ?
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird not downloading attachments

Post by tanstaafl »

I have no experience with Exquilla, but I'd assume its a problem with the add-on. I suggest you send a email to the support address using the get in touch section at the bottom of https://www.exquilla.com since it looks like https://exquilla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/community/topics is inactive.

In the interim I suggest you investigate the Owl for Exchange add-on at https://www.beonex.com/owl/ (same company that took over the add-on you're using)
Trelos

Post by Trelos »

tanstaafl wrote:I have no experience with Exquilla, but I'd assume its a problem with the add-on. I suggest you send a email to the support address using the get in touch section at the bottom of https://www.exquilla.com since it looks like https://exquilla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/community/topics is inactive.

In the interim I suggest you investigate the Owl for Exchange add-on at https://www.beonex.com/owl/ (same company that took over the add-on you're using)
i tried to download and install Owl, but it isn't compatible with the newer version of Thunderbird
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Thunderbird 60.6.1 is the current release version. I was able to install Owl successfully. The options page for that add-on (inside Thunderbird) works, including the "add new account manually" button. Since I don't have a email provider that uses Exchange I didn't go any further.

The add-on's web page states it requires Thunderbird 60.4 or newer though when I looked at the manifest.json file inside the add-on's *.xpi file it states it requires 60.5 as a minimum. What version of Thunderbird does help -> troubleshooting information say you are using?
Trelos

Post by Trelos »

tanstaafl wrote:Thunderbird 60.6.1 is the current release version. I was able to install Owl successfully. The options page for that add-on (inside Thunderbird) works, including the "add new account manually" button. Since I don't have a email provider that uses Exchange I didn't go any further.

The add-on's web page states it requires Thunderbird 60.4 or newer though when I looked at the manifest.json file inside the add-on's *.xpi file it states it requires 60.5 as a minimum. What version of Thunderbird does help -> troubleshooting information say you are using?
Is that on PC or Mac ?
Mine says 52.8.0 (32bit) and is it currently up to date.

Also just re-downloaded Thunderbird and says the same version number.
What am I missing ?

***Update***
tried it 1 more time, finally got it to 60.6.1.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I'm running a 64 bit version of Windows 10. Sometimes it helps to use "help -> about Mozilla Thunderbird" and press
the "check for updates" button as that ignores whether automated checking for updates is enabled (and any possible delays in rolling out a update based on where you are), and updates Thunderbird if a newer version is available.

Did updating to 60.6.1 solve the problem installing Owl?
Trelos

Post by Trelos »

Quick Update.
I completely uninstalled Thunderbird and re-installed it. Still using ExQuilla (mainly because it's free)
I also e-mailed them with this issue but have yet to receive any response
I've had to resort to using emClient for emails which isn't as customisation at Thunderbird is
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Why did you decide to switch from IMAP to Exchange for your Outlook account? I understand the standard corporate arguments for Exchange but its not clear what the advantages are for a ordinary user (at home). Is it to get easier calendar and remote contacts support or ... ? I'm asking mainly for my own education.
Trelos

Post by Trelos »

tanstaafl wrote:Why did you decide to switch from IMAP to Exchange for your Outlook account? I understand the standard corporate arguments for Exchange but its not clear what the advantages are for a ordinary user (at home). Is it to get easier calendar and remote contacts support or ... ? I'm asking mainly for my own education.
If you have an outlook.com account, you can add your other 3rd party email accounts to sync to your outlook.com account as well.
For example:
I have a Hotmail account. I also have 5 e-mail accounts with my ISP (TPG).
If you go to Outlook.com, then hit on the Setting button > View All Outlook Settings.
On the left side, click on MAIL > Sync Email
Here you can add all of your 3rd party email addresses, and you can have them configured to that they each have their own Inbox's

Now, for some dumb reason, if you configure Thunderbird to use IMAP with your hotmail account, it shows a folder for each of my other email addresses, but will not show their inboxes.
The only way to show each e-mails Inbox is to configure it as an Exchange.
BioProf

Post by BioProf »

I have what may be the identical problem. I am trying Exquilla because my university is disabling IMAP for its Exchange server. Windows 10; T'bird 78.10.0 (32 bit)
I see the 'paperclip' icon for received emails that contain attachments but the attachment pane is not visible and I do not see the attachments themselves in any way (and I have changed a number of about::config settings to try to see the attachment pane for this account -- it shows up in other accounts on t'bird).

If I begin to forward those emails, then I can see the attachments are listed as being forwarded and I can open them at that point. I did email Exquilla support and here is their response:
=======================
I just checked. I am able to see received attachments. Also, I have not seen users reporting this issue either; so, there must be something wrong with your connection to your Exchange server. Unfortunately, I'm not sure exactly why that is happening. You could try adding your account in a new profile, although it will most likely not help:

1. Menu -> Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> about::profiles
2. Create a new profile there and launch it
3. Try setting up your account there

===============================================