Modify "unread tabs" with userChrome

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Diorser

Re: Modify "unread tabs" with userChrome

Post by Diorser »

Unfortunately, as explained in bug 1453957 , [notselectedsinceload="true"] is not same as [unread="true"]
=> "It helps (if you don't forget to set toolkit.cosmeticAnimations.enabled to true prematurely).
But another problem appears: Once "notselectedsinceload" attribute is set to true, it is never going to return its false state.
"

Now I see two solutions:
- find a good workaround of bug 1453957 (may be direct modification of omi.jar fle but which would require to modify this file for each update)
- or create a new bug to cancel bug 1453957

A bug "resolution" should solve real problems, and not create problems.
May be someone aleady has a solution: please share....
Diorser

Post by Diorser »

Still no solution found to identify unread tabs with userChrome.css with current Firefox releases.
Any plan to give back unread tab status for Firefox 68 ?

Bug 1453957: Stop setting the "unread" attribute on tabs
Ascaris

Post by Ascaris »

Diorser wrote:Still no solution found to identify unread tabs with userChrome.css with current Firefox releases.
That feature seems to have been one more casualty in the ongoing quest to make Firefox mimic Chrome in every way imaginable. Chrome has no unread tab state, so it must not be a good idea to have it. The irony is that Chrome can have an unread tab state added in a few seconds with any one of several extensions, while Firefox Quantum, with its Chrome-style Webextensions addons, cannot. If Firefox Webextensions had API parity with Chrome, this should be a feasible thing for an addon to do.

A lot of us were using the unread tab state even if we had to use hacky methods like userChrome.css, and if it were exposed to the user in the settings UI, it would undoubtedly be used by a lot more, as it's a really useful feature.

Edit: oops, had the useragent spoofed when I posted. I'm actually using Waterfox from Linux, not Chrome.