filter has quit working for one address

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
i_am_jim

filter has quit working for one address

Post by i_am_jim »

This filter was working for a particular address a couple or three weeks ago but has quit working
I have two filters associated with this TO: address.

The first looks for the TO: address and if the TO: is found it checks to see if the From: is in a certain address book. If both are satisfied the message is moved to a designated folder and it goes on to the next filter which checks for the same TO: address and if found sends the message to trash.

An address that is in the required address book is now passing through to the second filter and going to trash. Best I can tell all other addresses in the required address book are being handled properly.
tanstaafl

Re: filter has quit working for one address

Post by tanstaafl »

Does the filter log says anything useful?

Is it failing due to the To: lookup or the From: lookup? I suggest you experiment with creating some similar filters that only test one header per filter, and run them manually to try to identify where/when its failing. As long as you don't check "getting new mail" those filters should be able to co-exist without problems with your existing filters.
i_am_jim

Post by i_am_jim »

Thanks for your reply.

The filter log was disabled, I have now enabled it.

I tried an entirely independent filter for this address and it does the same thing.

Is there a way to step through the filters one at a time to see if this is because of some other filter (I have several filters)?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

No, there is no way to step through them one at a time. You could disable the other filters, send yourself a message from another account, and immediately exit and restart Thunderbird.
i_am_jim

Post by i_am_jim »

I finally have time to investigate this. It must have something to do with the filters for this thing.

This is the first filter. It's supposed to send From addresses that are in the designated address book to the folder named foobar

It's followed by this filter which is supposed to send all mail to foobar to the trash. The assumption being that the first filter sent all desired mail to the correct location and what's left is SPAM.

But, what's happening is, all mail to foobar is going into trash.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You added an additional requirement in the first filter, that the message was sent to an address that contains foobar@foobar.com. Using "contains" rather than "is" is a good idea, because it will work with plus addressing. But that filter won't work if you are CC'd or on a mailing list that sets To: to the mailing list name.

Are you sure you need to make a check based on who it is sent to? That usually only makes sense if you have multiple identities for an account. It seems like you're just trying to white list based on the sender being in a certain address book.
i_am_jim

Post by i_am_jim »

tanstaafl wrote:You added an additional requirement in the first filter, that the message was sent to an address that contains foobar@foobar.com. Using "contains" rather than "is" is a good idea, because it will work with plus addressing. But that filter won't work if you are CC'd or on a mailing list that sets To: to the mailing list name.
I only get mail addressed to me at this address - no CCs
Are you sure you need to make a check based on who it is sent to? That usually only makes sense if you have multiple identities for an account. It seems like you're just trying to white list based on the sender being in a certain address book.
There are 14 identities associated with this account. These are but two of 54 filters used to parse incoming mail into folders associated with the different identities. I think it's the only one that tries to throw mail into trash if not from a particular address book. I have another that checks an address book but does not toss mail that isn't in the address book, like this one does.
i_am_jim

Post by i_am_jim »

I take it from the lack of responses no one has any suggestions?