download to the last saved folder location

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
andrew_ysk

download to the last saved folder location

Post by andrew_ysk »

Hii,
i have updated firefox to v66.
and when i download video using addon youtube video download, everytime it asks me if to download to "download folder", even after i downloaded several into other folder.
why can't firefox remember my last used folder location ? previously before i updated my firefox, it works perfectly. it remembers my last used folder location and always channeled my downloading youtube file into the "last saved folder location".. why now no longer work ?

btw, firefox itself able to remember my last downloaded image location, only the youtube video location downloaded thru addon failed to remember ..

how to fix it , pls.
thx
andrew
DanRaisch

Re: download to the last saved folder location

Post by DanRaisch »

btw, firefox itself able to remember my last downloaded image location, only the youtube video location downloaded thru addon failed to remember ..
Perhaps you've answered your own question. The issue is not the updated Firefox but the extension. Have you confirmed that you are using the latest version of that? Have you checked the support page for the extension to see if there has been any comments pointing to the issue so it can be addressed by the author?
andrew_ysk

Post by andrew_ysk »

i know it is not the firefox.

EVERYTIME i update firefox, such thing happened.. hence i never wanted to update firefox.. i was using version 44 of firefox i think.. until i updated to 66.. because i know if i update it, i will be dealing with the very problem just like last time.

previous time i faced the same problem.. until, after lot of time doing researching... i somehow manage to found a post that helped me.. but i don't remember what was it already.. now , after update i am facing the very same problem again. and i can't find the soln.

the addons that i use was on the post.. the old addons for the youtube is no longer usable because of the update..

there is no option in any youtube download addons that can solve the problem.

any idea. ?

thx
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

the addons that i use was on the post..
There are (or were) multiple extensions with very similar names. It's not clear which one you are referring to.
andrew_ysk

Post by andrew_ysk »

i have right now, 4 addons of same purposes.

YD - YouTube Video and Audio Downloader (Dev Edt.) by feller. ver 0.7.6
Youtube download by youtube download ver 1.2.0
easy youtube downloader by addon maker v2.3
youtube download button by youtube downloader ver 1.5.1

all 4 addons behave the same. when download youtube video, they just do not remember my last saved folder.

andrew
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It sounds as though there were changes made within Firefox that the extension authors have not taking into account through updates or are unable to do so.
andrew_ysk

Post by andrew_ysk »

don't know. hopefully they can do something. because browsing thru folder every time is a hassle.

thx
andrew
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

As Dan pointed out Extensions behave different as firefox. firefox save destinations by domain (default). extensions have to ask for saving, anytime!

not sure how windows 7 handles folders for fast access - windows 10 has this feature in the left pane (top most).
andrew_ysk

Post by andrew_ysk »

so, what can i do ? ask the addons maker ? don't know if that is possible at all.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Yes, ask the extension authors. If you are downloading them from the AMO (Addons Mozilla) site there should be an extension home page or support site identified on the page from which you are downloading: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ader_webx/
It's the author's responsibility to keep their addon compatible with the latest versions of the browser, not the other way around.
therube

Post by therube »

when i download video using [a webextension], everytime it asks me if to download to "download folder", even after i downloaded several into other folder.
Isn't that one of the benefits [LIMITATIONS] of [those glorious] WebExtensions.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

ofc it has benefit to see and confirm, when webextensions want to download something away from the standard download folder or download/save in general. even ublock ask to save its settings so i think there is no way other round when the regular download is not used.

anyhow some maliscious extensions have bypassed this in the past.