A default theme to modify?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
coloris

A default theme to modify?

Post by coloris »

Is there any "default theme" for the GUI that can be modified so I know all the button to change? I have not only modified themes downloaded from the skin page for SeaMonkey but it seems like I didn't get all the images.
coloris

Re: A default theme to modify?

Post by coloris »

Also. If I want to add a picture like the other themes (on top on the menu and bar) where do I edit this and where do I put the image. I only find how to do this on the theme in json File but the more edited theme does not have this file?
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

What do you mean that you did not get all the images? If you are using complete themes, they come with images. You can also modify them if you are not happy with colours or images.
coloris

Post by coloris »

Anonymosity wrote:What do you mean that you did not get all the images? If you are using complete themes, they come with images. You can also modify them if you are not happy with colours or images.
I ment a "template" (english is not my first language so I might be a bit fuzzy explaining). I don't find any and the most tutorials I can find is from 2015 and not complete.

If I take for an example NetscapeUI9 (I had to edit the files in root folder to get it to work with the latest seamonkey), The menu background color is white (#ffffff or 255 255 255), but I can not find the color anywhere in any css in the theme (netscapeui9 that I'm looking on now). I have tried looking on the other files but sadly I only get confused cause they look so different and some changing is not where I might suspect them to be.

Also Is it possible to change the menu font in the theme also?

May I use another theme and modify it and then upload it? I saw some has written a copyright notice that the script they wrote may not be edited. like exemple "Metal Lion Sea Monkey"
Last edited by coloris on May 4th, 2019, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

You can modify a theme for your own use, but it is not advisable to modify someone else's theme and then distribute the modified version. If you got the author's permission to do that, it would be all right, but only then.
You can change the font in the interface by modifying a stylesheet in the theme to do that, or by setting up a userChrome.css file in a subdirectory in the profile called chrome. You have to create that subdirectory.
If you want to modify something the theme is doing to part of the interface, an easy way to find out what that element is called is to install DOM Inspector and Element Inspector, then put the cursor over the element and press Shift and the primary mouse button together. You would then unarchive the .xpi file and do a search of the contents of the text files for the name of that element to find out which stylesheets theme it.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

coloris wrote:May I use another theme and modify it and then upload it? I saw some has written a copyright notice that the script they wrote may not be edited. like exemple "Metal Lion Sea Monkey"
No, in my case, you may not. My themes are under private Author Licence as they are 100% original code by myself.

However, most other themes are based originally on the default theme format and are thus under a Creative Commons OS Licence, i.e. if you ask them first they may well let you use theirs as a base. But do ask first.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
coloris

Post by coloris »

Frank. Great to see you, lovely themes you make. :) Great job you have make.

I guessed there is no blank canvas/template to work with so I abandon my ideas of making a theme. I did use to do a few for audacity and had one on the older version on Firefox but that page is gone since years and years with free templates (cc0)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

coloris wrote:Frank. Great to see you
Thanks.

As suggested above, the DOM Inspector and Element Inspector extensions and userChrome.css may well be a good way forward for you and certainly you'll learn a lot.

People think that userChrome.css is just for small snippets of code but, for example, I made an entire theme using it in a couple of days after Firefox 57 was released when there was/is simply no other way to create a Complete Theme in Firefox. Admittedly, I did already have all my images though. :) - here

Releasing themes to the public, can come later...
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)