"Missing something? Some extensions are no longer supported"

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
nym9

"Missing something? Some extensions are no longer supported"

Post by nym9 »

I haven't done any updates, and Firefox just disabled TEN of my extensions, including Stylish, Adblock+, basically making Firefox useless. How to resolve?

SOLVED

Options, Privacy & Security, then enable 'studies':

Last edited by nym9 on May 4th, 2019, 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ken0069

Re: "Missing something? Some extensions are no longer suppor

Post by ken0069 »

I just got the same message about two of my ad blocker add ons? Can someone please tell me what's going on here? I've been running these ad blockers for a long time, even before this new Firefox was rolled out and now they are BLOCKED????
Gort

Post by Gort »

Seems to be some expired certificate issue: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1548973

Quite an embarrassing cock-up.
ken0069

Post by ken0069 »

And not only did they uninstall them from my system, but they will not let me download them again???? And not only that, but NONE of the ad block add ons will install?? NONE OF THEM!!!

Can you say Chromium!! Yup, I just got done installing that and the ad blocker installed just fine!!
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Of course extensions won't download and install - the problem is with all certificates for all extensions being too old, same as with currently installed extensions.

A real screw up by Mozilla by not keeping track of the required certificates and their expiration date!

I wonder why crap like this always hits the fan on a Friday?

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

This is more likely a problem with the certificate chain that is used to verify the extension and not about the extension itself.
It looks that an intermediate certificate is expired and hasn't been renewed in time.

Bug 1548973 - (armagadd-on-2.0) All extensions disabled due to expiration of intermediate signing cer

Please do not comment in bug reports
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html

A possible workaround is to set the time one or more days back in the past, but that can cause other problems (secure connections rely on a correct time).
You may have to delete extensions.json in the profile folder to make Firefox re-enable the extension if you would set the clock back on your computer.
ip007

Post by ip007 »

Once Firefox is installed on my computer, phone and other devices and the add-ons are working, I consider that to be a stand-alone installation, and I expect everything to continue to work as is, as long as I don't update or change anything. I want to be able to control and continue to use my software once it's already installed, without Firefox being able to disable or change the functionality of anything that's already been installed.
1RetiredCop

Post by 1RetiredCop »

I might buy the expired certificate explanation if it were one or two add-ons or themes but in one fell swoop Firefox invalidated them all! While I may be a novice, it seems to me that this a problem with Firefox and Mozilla that I shouldn't have to find work-arounds for. I returned Firefox about 8 months ago because of Chrome's security issues but more because of the wide variety of extensions and themes available for it. It's performed flawlessly until 11:00 PM PDT today, 5/3. Fix this Mozilla because I really don't want to go back to Google's Chrome.
ip007

Post by ip007 »

It seems the add-ons don't work in waterfox (which is based off of Firefox) either. So obviously whatever "certificate" issue or whatever is affecting Firefox is also affecting other Firefox based browsers, and probably doesn't have anything to do with any changes to the browsers themselves, but rather something on Firefox/mozilla's end, which is disappointing because waterfox is actually a very good browser that still has lots of the features that Firefox should have kept, but Firefox is still the better browser to use because it gets updated quicker than waterfox (although the waterfox developers still do a very good job with that). I use both Firefox and waterfox (when I want to use certain features that it still has that Firefox got rid of) but now this add-ons issue seems to be affecting both browsers.
nym9

Post by nym9 »

They fixed this, Go to Options / Privacy & Security / enable the studies option
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Yep that works, thanks....
@Restart and wait a few secs for it to change.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
SandyA

Post by SandyA »

I don't see the "enable the studies option"
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

'Privacy' & Security.

#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
SandyA

Post by SandyA »

mightyglydd wrote:'Privacy' & Security.

Thank you.
ip007

Post by ip007 »

Enabling studies doesn't seem to work. The add-ons in Firefox for desktop in Windows 10 still don't work on my computer. How do I fix that? I've already tried reinstalling Firefox.