Firefox 66.0.4 released - fixes the non-working add-ons

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Brummelchen

Re: Firefox 66.0.4 released - fixes the non-working add-ons

Post by Brummelchen »

I can't make it work either, 66.0.3 Win64. I enabled studies 12-14 hours ago, but it hasn't activated. Still stuck under Active studies. A couple of hours ago I tried installing 66.0.4 build3, but no dice.
i think you have a general problem in your profile. here the xpi helped immediately, and 66.0.4 rc3 already contains the fix. others reported same as me, only very few still have trouble and thats surely profile made. could also ssl interference with your antivirus. who knows.
I'm off to some other browser and never coming back.
to those - you have fortune, and we have luck. :mrgreen:
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

martinlest wrote:So, sorry: bye bye Firefox...

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Masilla

Post by Masilla »

Brummelchen wrote:i think you have a general problem in your profile. here the xpi helped immediately, and 66.0.4 rc3 already contains the fix. others reported same as me, only very few still have trouble and thats surely profile made. could also ssl interference with your antivirus. who knows.
That may be the case, but I have the same problem on two independently installed machines, one in Spain and one in Norway. I only imported the bookmarks when I set up the second machine. I am not using any antivirus except what's included by Microsoft in Windows 10.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

@Masilla - run my "older" v66 profile with 66.0.3 on another computer - extensions showing up, but i cant install any updates. left in <10 minutes alone, 3 studies were installed - all fine, ran updates, all installed. you need to examine your profile and/or software which can prevent this functionality.
LameBrains

Post by LameBrains »

I'll tell you why I find this problem so disturbing.

When FF made the big change to their new technology in v57 I believe, it knocked out some of my most useful add-ons that I cannot do without. Who wouldn't be bothered by that? I don't have the time to seek out new add-ons that have the specific exact features I need, but I tried anyway. After a long search the very first one I tried to replace ended with the result that there was no other add-on that would do some of the critical things that I needed it to do. I asked the community, the experts agreed.

I was frustrated. and felt I was left out in the cold, but gave FF the benefit of the doubt by telling myself that the decision to completely upgrade the technology was understandable and sometimes you just have to lose something in order to gain something even better.

And anyway I figured, I can still stay with an older version of FF and use those "legacy" add-ons without problems. And therein lies the rub.

Suddenly, they are all being deactivated. That means that although I thought I was self contained, that it was just me, my older version of FF and my add-ons and the Internet in the loop, I WAS WRONG. Somehow, Mozilla, FF, whatever is a middleman in my browser activity and able to do things like disable my add-ons!

Frankly I was SHOCKED! I had no idea that ANYTHING from my browser was being watched (external to my local installation) by the maker of the browser when I had all the automatic update setting disabled. Now I know I was wrong. And I have no idea what else is being monitored, or can be disabled at will by my browser maker.

I doubt that situation will be any better with Chrome, it would probably be even worse. I'm sure Google spies on their users too. But my aversion to FF is now so strong after trying to escape having my add-ons disabled twice, thinking I was finally in the clear, then having it happen again, that I don't think I can bear going on with FF. My faith is shaken. This is "bad will" on the part of the FF developers as far as I am concerned.
LameBrains

Post by LameBrains »

mtalbot wrote:A simple temporary fix is to go in to "about:config" and change xpinstall.signatures.required to false (and then restart FF for completeness). Once Mozilla fix the problem properly you can change the setting back to true.
This did not work on v56.0.2
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Gunny Highway..
You adapt. You overcome. You improvise
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
martinlest

Post by martinlest »

Frank Lion, whoever he might be, may not 'Give a Damn' (above) I am changing browser (who'd expect him to?), but Mozilla should, given I seem to be one of many long-standing users doing just that (looking at various threads on this topic, not just in this forum). I have already now got IE set up as my default browser on all three of my computers. Sad really, I have been such a fan of FF in the past. The constant messing about with the interface and now this... Well, 'nuff said.
Gazdok

Post by Gazdok »

I am on FF 56 and stayed, i.e. went back after all the nice individualisation with nifty add-ons went with FF57 or so. Yesterday my FF similar to posts above lost all its add-ons b/o the signature problem.
I tried to follow guidance above and in linked posts, but I cannot activate studies, as I do not have this line in my options.
Changing the XPI signature setting to flase does help.

Brummelchen are you saying, that I need to install FF66 to get studies and signatures and then go back to FF56?

With the stroke of someones button my FF went from bein the best browser to the worst.

I am still not ready to go onto the new FF. I REALY DO NOT LIKE IT.

Any other ideas????
kerft

Post by kerft »

For old versions, if you get the certificate installed that should fix it. One method is here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14831579
If you do not know how to implement that, this does the same thing with a different method: https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... 602_older/
If that does not succeed, some people have said that setting xpinstall.signatures.required = false will work with Firefox 52.9.0ESR. I said 52ESR, not other versions. Can someone confirm that it does work, even after restarting, on 52ESR? There may still be a warning, but the extensions should work.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

forth and back gives you nothing - au contraire, your profile from v66 is not compatible to v56.

i went back to firefox 51 for testing purpose the given switch was on and all extensions working, i also could load updates.
i can not tell you whats going wrong for several people here. get the current firefox, start as a portable (from portableapps.com) and try to build a current profile. there is nothing we can do for you.
Masilla

Post by Masilla »

Brummelchen wrote:@Masilla - run my "older" v66 profile with 66.0.3 on another computer - extensions showing up, but i cant install any updates. left in <10 minutes alone, 3 studies were installed - all fine, ran updates, all installed. you need to examine your profile and/or software which can prevent this functionality.
Just to let you know, extensions work again after I installed 66.0.4 build 3 and completely removed the Mozilla directories under %appdata% local and roaming. I have no idea where to start looking for the actual error in all the config data, so it was probably faster to do this and set up everything again than trying to pinpoint the exact cause. All I kept were the bookmarks, through backup and restore.

66.0.4 Build 3 is available here: ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/candidates/66.0.4-candidates/
Diane Vigil

Post by Diane Vigil »

Interestingly, I had build1 when I originally downloaded/installed 66.0.4. Today, when I checked Help > About Firefox, it automatically downloaded/upgraded to build3.
Exoteeth

Post by Exoteeth »

LameBrains wrote: I doubt that situation will be any better with Chrome, it would probably be even worse. I'm sure Google spies on their users too. But my aversion to FF is now so strong after trying to escape having my add-ons disabled twice, thinking I was finally in the clear, then having it happen again, that I don't think I can bear going on with FF. My faith is shaken. This is "bad will" on the part of the FF developers as far as I am concerned.
The problem with Chrome is it takes more control of your desktop. It updates whether you use it or not. You also can’t disable any of the telemetry. But the most troublesome aspect of Chrome is the built in “virus protection” which runs once a week and slows your PC down (and heats it up) while snooping through your files. It’s called SwReporter (Software Reporter Tool) which makes Chrome more evil than Windows 10.
James

Post by James »

The proper place to get Firefox 66.0.4 and 60.6.2esr is at https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/all/ and for ESR https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/organizations/all/

The Fx 66.0.4 and Fx 60.6.2esr are not proof that it was a indeed a problem with the Firefox web browsers but as one of the ways to try and get users to have working extensions again (that were affected) due to an expired certificate.