Can't send email the first try, cancel it and it goes

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Shammo

Can't send email the first try, cancel it and it goes

Post by Shammo »

Hello
I'm using Linux Mint 18.3 and W7 Pro 64 bit, my T bird is version 60.6.1 and is set up as POP / SMTP

Lately on both systems when I try and send an email it tries and tries but never sends, if I cancel it, and hit send again the mail is sent immediately.

Since I have the same trouble on both OS it makes me think it's Thunderbird causing the trouble. All my web based emails work fine needless to say.

Ideas anyone on where to look?

Thanks to all,
Shammo
makaiguy

Re: Can't send email the first try, cancel it and it goes

Post by makaiguy »

Web based email tells you nothing. It doesn't use the same servers as the POP/IMAP and SMTP servers clients like TBird must use to interface with your supplier's email system.

Both your systems must connect to the same SMTP server at your provider - this is perhaps more likely to be the source of the problem than your TBird email client.

Does this happen every time or just once in a while? An overloaded server that occasionally reaches its handling capacity can suffer a tempoary inability to accept additional connections which can clear up in a matter of seconds.
Last edited by makaiguy on May 7th, 2019, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Who is your email provider? Does this occur for every account, if you have more than one?

When it fails to send the message, does it still save a copy of the message in your sent folder? The two tasks are independent, its quite possible to save a copy of a sent message that was not actually sent.

Any error message when it fails to send ? Does tools -> developer tools -> error console have anything related? You'll want to click on CSS and de-select warnings and errors in its list box to get rid of the many irrelevant CSS errors/warnings that will clutter up the console. Also click on Server and select errors and warnings.

See if this is somehow due to an add-on by using "help -> restart with add-ons disabled" and see if the problem goes away.
Shammo

Post by Shammo »

makaiguy wrote: Does this happen every time or just once in a while? .
All the time sad to say.

Shammo
Shammo

Post by Shammo »

Provider is Xfinity / Comcast
I can resend the message successfully after i cancel the failed send..PLUS.. after I have sent one I can send many more and NOT see the 'Failed to send" message.

No error messages per se other than it keeps trying to send relentlessly but looking at the developer tools, error console I found this: Could not read chrome manifest 'file:///usr/lib/thunderbird/chrome.manifest'.
1557267653996 addons.xpi WARN Can't get modified time of /usr/lib/thunderbird/features/wetransfer@extensions.thunderbird.net

I deleted it and will try with add on's disabled.

Sorry to report that running it in Safe Mode made no difference. Odd that the behavior is the same on both OS's, Xfinity denies any trouble with their server, but who really knows?

Thank you,

Shammo
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Thunderbird 60.5 and later supports Wetransfer (a cloud based file transfer service) for large attachments via the Filelink feature. I can find Linux file lists that mention /usr/lib/thunderbird/features/wetransfer@extensions.thunderbird.net as part of Thunderbird. I suspect you can ignore that warning.

However, I found one thread in a Ubuntu forum that has the same warning message, that was due to the systems firewall blocking ports used by Thunderbird. Unfortunately it doesn't mention if those ports were for filetransfer or the Gmail account they used. https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2413737
Shammo

Post by Shammo »

tanstaafl.
thanks for the information, I'll just put up with it at least I can send email just with a few extra clicks is all.

Now if I could get FF to not give me a message about it not supporting files in YouTube I'd be set. I am told when you get that message you get an icon in the address bar and if you click it you can choose if you want to play that file or not. I don't see an such icon, I had to dl an addon that lets me enable HTML5 yet FF says it supports it ,sigh>
Guess I need to be in the Firefox forum.

thanks again most appreciated

Shammo