Password Required

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
danll

Password Required

Post by danll »

I will call this a "bug". It's just something kind of sloppy.

When I launch FF, and after I go to a webpage that wants a password, I get a message popping up on my screen ...

? Password Required
Please enter your master password.

Um, duh, who exactly is asking for my master password? Is this the OS? Is this my malware prevention system? That message should identify itself as coming from FF. Otherwise, you might end up entering, and perhaps compromising other passwords. If I'm being told to enter a password, I want to know who is asking for it!

I'm using FF 66.0.4 on MacOS 10.11.
dfoulkes

Re: Password Required

Post by dfoulkes »

It might help people here, to possibly identify the source of that message by posting a screen-shot..here. Also, when you just visit a site with no password required you don't get that prompt?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Sounds like Firefox is asking you to enter your Firefox Master Password. This allows access to the password information you've stored in Firefox.

Note that a master password is not employed in an initial default installation. It is something you must explicitly set up.

Info on Master Password: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Master_password
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
danll

Post by danll »

I KNOW that Firefox is asking me for a master password, and I know all about Firefox master passwords. My point is that it is sloppy to ask for a password without telling the user who is asking for it.

See, if the message just SAID that it was a Firefox message, I wouldn't be here, and you wouldn't be asking me to post a screen-shot. Sloppy.

I call it a bug.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

You know, if you knew that it was Firefox prompting for the password it would have been nice to have done that...so the bottom line is that you were just B & M-ing
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
danll

Post by danll »

No, whenever that message comes up, which is often well after I've launched Firefox, the question arises - who is asking me this? C'mon. We're not talking major major software regeneration. We're talking a few words explaining who it is, asking for what should be a very secure string. Bottom line - don't suck.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Um, duh, personally I'd figure anyone who has actually gone to the trouble to set up a master password would recognize that fact and know what was being asked. Yeah, I agree it could have said "Firefox master password". Or even "Mozilla master password" in case they used the same code in Thunderbird. But this is a user-to-user help forum, not an official Mozilla site, and developers seldom or never come here.

If you seriously think this merits followup, you can enter your suggestion directly to the developers via bugzilla.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
danll

Post by danll »

Um, this is a "Firefox bugs" forum, and developers don't come here? So much for that.
James

Post by James »

http://www.mozillazine.org/about/

Nothing here on forums.mozillaZine.org says it is a part of or run by Mozilla.org as there are no mozilla.org links on top and or bottom like a typical *.mozilla.org page for example.

Mozilla has their own community support forum that got going some ten years ago at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/

We can talk about possibles bugs here and then if reproducible the OP or somebody else then can file a report in Bugzilla. A forum is certainly not the place to track things even for an official site.

Before Mozilla started their own forum on SUMO there used to be some devs that hung around at times though many were in say Firefox Builds.
bangaicauthu

Post by bangaicauthu »

How to I can reset master password?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)