Converting POP3 to IMAP (maybe)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
sargan

Converting POP3 to IMAP (maybe)

Post by sargan »

I have been using Thunderbird for years as my default email client. Currently ver 60.6.1
Used with a POP3 (BTconnect) setup, all working fine. Backups kept with MozBackup
I also read emails when travelling on my iPAD … Something I had not realised was that when I delete or file mails on PC … it does not synch with iPAD. (know this is limitation of POP3)
Yesterday found iPAD has 900+ emails in Inbox ☹
So solution would seem to be convert to IMAP.

Not worried about losing any mails on iPAD .. may even simply delete account and recreate.

However on PC I don’t want to lose any filed mails or any in my Inbox …… can anybody advise steps follow to convert to IMAP without loss ?
DanRaisch

Re: Converting POP3 to IMAP (maybe)

Post by DanRaisch »

sargan

Post by sargan »

DanRaisch wrote:See this article -- https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/sw ... ap-account
Thnx ... I’ll follow those steps .... if anybody has any additional tips .. feel free to add.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

If you'd more comfortable with POP and would rather stick with it, here is an old post regarding syncing POP accounts on multiple computers:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=301133
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
sargan

Post by sargan »

Thnx for that if my ISP does not support IMAP I will use that configuration.

I'm still trying to figure out if there are any disadvantages to moving to IMAP (id ISP supports)
kerft

Post by kerft »

If you learn how to make backups of your emails with IMAP, IMAP should be pretty good. Making backups is more complicated with IMAP than POP. http://kb.mozillazine.org/IMAP_backup
If you often read emails when you do not have internet access available, that can be done with IMAP but is easier with POP.
If you have fast internet all the time, IMAP allows storing large numbers of folders on their server, or using server side filters to move mail into folders. POP can only ever access the inbox on the server, although it can have multiple folders locally. IMAP also can allow multiple computers to see the sent mail - in POP this is usually not possible.
sargan

Post by sargan »

Thanks for help
sargan

Post by sargan »

BT have advised they only provide POP3 accounts ... so no option of IMAP if I want to keep same email address.