Accents not displaying correctly

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
splashibiza

Accents not displaying correctly

Post by splashibiza »

Hi there , wondering if anyone can help
I cant seem to writte accents correctly with outgoing mail

This is how it appears in Thunderbird ( only one accent should appear and it should be on top of the letter )
Jos´´e Jos´´e

D´´ia

Cami´´on

I have tried changing the settings in the "default outgoing mail text codification " to UTF-8 or Occidental ISO or Occidental Windows with no result

Does anyone know how I can solve this?
Accents are týped correctly in other programs like firefox or word

Thank you for your help!
tanstaafl

Re: Accents not displaying correctly

Post by tanstaafl »

The problem is not the display, but how to get it to recognize that pressing two keys (one of which is an accent) should generate one accented character. That's not something Thunderbird normally does. While there are add-ons to let it do that, a simpler solution is to configure your keyboard layout (via your operating system) to support that.

"If you are using Windows and English you can use the US-International keyboard layout to enter both English and accented characters. This doesn't require any different hardware, just changing what software keyboard layout you use in Windows. That lets you enter US characters normally, and international characters by using a strike-over feature. If you enter a apostrophe ('), quotation mark ("), accent grave (`), tilde (~), accent circumflex, or caret (^) key nothing happens until you press a second key. If the second key is a letter that supports an accent mark, it types the appropriate accented character. If you pressed a ineligible key it displays the two keys you typed instead. The advantage of this method is its quicker/easier to enter any accented letters that it supports than trying to figure out a ALT code, Unicode value or look up a character in a table. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... characters for more information."

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/International_characters
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

Does it work if you select Insert/Characters and Symbols, Accent Lowercase, in an html-format message?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Yes.

That way is built-in. That will still work if you enable the international keyboard (because you are not typing an accent etc, you're selecting it using a bullet and a list box), but the whole idea of using the international keyboard is to avoid using it whenever possible, because its so slow and cumbersome.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

tanstaafl wrote:...
If you are using Windows and English you can use the US-International keyboard layout to enter both English and accented characters.
Cool. (does anybody still say 'cool"?) :?

Can't believe I'm still learning basic stuff I didn't know about after all these years. :oops:

Thanks.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers