Trying to run parellel FF versions in same O/S.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
videobruce

Trying to run parellel FF versions in same O/S.

Post by videobruce »

I have been running FF v56 from PortableApps. I want to try to switch over to FF v52esr portable (that was extracted from the installer exe hopefully without corrupting the profile of the existing application. IOW's I don't want to remove it yet.

I have this extracted, now 'portable' version of 52 in it's own folder in another partition (for storage) that I added 2 extensions and need at least two more to correct the lame UI (TabMixPlus & Classic Restorer). Is this going to be a problem?
I have renames the updater.exe to solve that problem (which I thought was over, but it's not) And I added that certificate so extensions can be added again. I have have scoured thru that annoying Users folder looking over the 'profiles' folder buried within it for changes. I didn't find a duplicate profiles folder which I was hoping for.

Can I assume a 2nd FF automatically will find and use an existing profiles folder and the rest buried within M$'s Users folder? I hope all of that made some sense.

BTW, I'm running W7 x64
Browsers that don't have a conventional horizontal Menu bar (where it's been for 25 years) are poorly designed. Period. Stop 'fixing' something that isn't broke!
jscher2000

Re: Tring to run parellel FF versions in same O/S

Post by jscher2000 »

Are they both PortableApps builds? PortableApps builds do not care about any data folders outside of their own folder. You can install multiple PortableApps builds into different folders, none of which will look into the other's data.
videobruce

Re: Tring to run parellel FF versions in same O/S

Post by videobruce »

No as stated. v56 is, v52esr is not.
Then why is there a user folder for the original v56 which is from PortableApps?

To be clearer, I have no intention of using both versions, only one IF I can get 52 to use the extensions I want & need to make it usable (classic look & feel).
Browsers that don't have a conventional horizontal Menu bar (where it's been for 25 years) are poorly designed. Period. Stop 'fixing' something that isn't broke!
dfoulkes

Re: Trying to run parellel FF versions in same O/S.

Post by dfoulkes »

I have been running FF v56 from PortableApps. I want to try to switch over to FF v52esr portable (that was extracted from the installer exe hopefully without corrupting the profile of the existing application. IOW's I don't want to remove it yet.
I might be missing some here.. why 'extract' from an installer when older portable version are housed here...
https://sourceforge.net/projects/portab ... table%20Ed./

And if you hit on the 'Firefox is already running' message with the portable stuff... see this.
https://portableapps.com/node/23783

I use a number of the portable apps just for checking/testing and I have all of the apps housed in just one major (top) folder and then all the apps. in their folders under that top one... and they never mess with each other. And one thing I do use is the Portable apps manager... it's a nice front-end and has all of the potable progs in its listing. I'll assume that the top folder is needed in order for this menu system to work properly.
https://portableapps.com/
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

For one thing, I don't like another exe running on top of the programs exe, especially with FF since there are 2 other FF.exe's running
As for non Browser programs, many can be creat3d by extracting the exe into a folder w/o 'installing' them. I discovered this a couple of years ago. Not all work, probably half or so, but this huge problem with M$'s 'rule the Internet' mentality from 25 years ago still haunts. Idiot Exploiter's presence locking out (or tries to) all other browsers. Then there are the lamo programs that ignore anything other than IE and automatically opens it up anyway to 'phone home' when you are in their program (for any reason).
therube

Post by therube »

I might be missing some here.. why 'extract' from an installer when older portable version are housed here...
Seems they don't have 52.9.0 (latest, last "52") listed there (52.8 is). (Don't know if it might exist elsewhere?)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Thanks... did not notice the 52.8 vs 52.9. I stayed with installed-52.9 for as long as I could but finally came to the current ESR quantum... loved that old ESR version.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
kerft

Post by kerft »

This link has a guide about using multiple versions with multiple profiles. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=2821799

To work more in a way I think you would like, you can make standard firefox work as a "sort of" portable version. In the guide it will warn not to use a custom location for new profiles.
To create, and then run with a custom location in the future, a profile, is done by giving the firefox exe a full pathname.
To make semi portable versions, if you don't like having the launcher, is not too hard, especially if you don't need them to run at the same time.
Run Firefox 52 installer, but when done do not run firefox. Or if you like, extract it. Pick custom / put it in program files\firefox52.
Run Firefox 56 installer, or if you like, extract it. Pick custom / put it in program files\firefox56. Do not run either.
Make 2 shortcuts, on the desktop or in the start menu if you prefer.
One will be c:\program files\firefox52\firefox.exe -p "c:\firefox52profile"
The other is c:\program files\firefox56\firefox.exe -p "c:\firefox56profile"
The first time you use each shortcut, it will create a profile in that folder. In the future, it will run using that profile. If you have any trouble, try capital letter P or making an empty folder first.
Never run firefox in any way other than using those shortcuts. Do not pin it to the task bar or start menu. With these shortcuts, you have to close one version before running the other. If you want to run both you have to add -no-remote to one of them and there are other things that can go wrong.
When using this method, firefox does not work well as a default browser. It is easiest to set something else to be the default browser.
Once a profile for each version is made, you can import some stuff from the past into them, add extensions etc.
When they are in good shape, make backups.
therube

Post by therube »

One will be c:\program files\firefox52\firefox.exe -p "c:\firefox52profile"
The other is c:\program files\firefox56\firefox.exe -p "c:\firefox56profile"
That would be, -profile.
(-p or -P, would look for a specified profile name [expected to be] found in profiles.ini.)
c:\program files\firefox52\firefox.exe -profile "c:\firefox52profile"
c:\program files\firefox56\firefox.exe -profile "c:\firefox56profile"
Last edited by therube on May 16th, 2019, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

(When screwing around with "signs", I simply extracted the various FF versions into individual directories, buggered their updates so they wouldn't, then created batch files that called the wanted FF version using the wanted Profile.

directories:

Code: Select all

PROFILE.X
PROFILE42
PROFILE49
PROFILE49-x
PROFILE52
PROFILE56
X.56
batch files:

GO.BAT
GO42.BAT
GO49.BAT
GO52.BAT
GO56.BAT

cmd /c start   X\firefox.exe -profile PROFILE -no-remote
cmd /c start   42\firefox.exe -profile PROFILE42 -no-remote
cmd /c start   49\firefox.exe -profile PROFILE49 -no-remote
cmd /c start   52\firefox.exe -profile PROFILE52 -no-remote
cmd /c start   56\firefox.exe -profile PROFILE56 -no-remote