Changing From POP to IMAP

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
gw1500se

Changing From POP to IMAP

Post by gw1500se »

I have a setup that is using POP but the server has become unreliable. The IMAP equivalent is better so I wanted to change. All the email from the POP setup was going into Local Folders and I had filters set up, etc. I tried to switch to IMAP but the only way I could see to do it was vi New->Existing account. After doing that it works but when I change all the folders to Local Folder, that does not work. It has its own set of folders. I look at the existing POP settings and it says POP server but I see no way to change it to IMAP under settings. So how do I change that existing setup to IMAP or how do I get the new IMAP setup to go into the local folder and use the existing filters, etc.? TIA.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
kerft

Re: Changing From POP to IMAP

Post by kerft »

Just to confirm, you do not have all of your emails on the server? If you log into webmail for example, some emails you need are missing?
gw1500se

Post by gw1500se »

No, this is purely a connection issue using the POP server. TB tells me the server has reset the connection. Otherwise I would not be trying to switch. I want the IMAP server to put the email into Local Folders like the POP setup did and use the same filters.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I look at the existing POP settings and it says POP server but I see no way to change it to IMAP under settings.
It is not possible to change settings to go from POP to IMAP. You need to set up that new account but then use menu path Tools->Copies & Folders to set TB to use Local Folders for storing messages. Set up a filter to move all messages newly received to the Inbox to the Inbox (or other folder) under Local Folders.
gw1500se

Post by gw1500se »

I thought of that but will moving them to the Local Folders trigger those filters as if it were receiving mail?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Filters only run automatically on messages newly received to the account's Inbox folder. If you are asking about filters that would run on messages AFTER they have been moved from the IMAP Inbox to Local Folders, the answer is that they would NOT run automatically. You would have to trigger such filters manually. Was that your question?
gw1500se

Post by gw1500se »

Not exactly. Do they get triggered when new email shows up in the inbox regardless of source or only if added to the inbox when read from a server? I can move them from the IMAP inbox to the local folder inbox from a filter but then can I expect the local inbox filters to be triggered?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I can move them from the IMAP inbox to the local folder inbox from a filter but then can I expect the local inbox filters to be triggered?

Correct. Note that I said that "Filters only run automatically on messages newly received to the account's Inbox folder." The Inbox folder under Local Folders is not "the account's Inbox folder" so filters will not run automatically when messages are moved there after receipt into the actual account's Inbox.
gw1500se

Post by gw1500se »

Rats. Thanks.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Couldn't you add filters to the account inbox folder to send specific messages to whichever sub-folder of Local Folders you wanted to store them in?