Migration of Local Folders during update

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
DOS_Luddite

Migration of Local Folders during update

Post by DOS_Luddite »

I am currently using SeaMonkey version 2.0.14 under Windows XP SP3 and would like to update to version 2.49.4. If I install the new version over the old one, will the Local Folders in my email account migrate automatically? I keep all my saved emails in these folders, and would not like to lose them.
Frank Lion

Re: Migration of Local Folders during update

Post by Frank Lion »

DOS_Luddite wrote: If I install the new version over the old one, will the Local Folders in my email account migrate automatically? I keep all my saved emails in these folders, and would not like to lose them.
Yep, SeaMonkey, like most, is designed to be updated without losing stuff and certainly I did this with an old SM installation without a problem. However, that was on a Linux OS and frg below did have problems doing this on XP, so follow his advice there.

But, before you update, how about backing up what you have to be 100% sure? -
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14832589

Note: On old SM installations, about:profiles may not exist. So use the pathway Menu > Help > Trouble Shooting Information > Open Folder Containing (or similar wording) to locate your profile folder.
Last edited by Frank Lion on May 16th, 2019, 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
frg

Post by frg »

2.0.14 to 2.49.4 is not a supported upgrade path. I think I did it some time ago with an old XP installation and it was not pretty.

First do a complete profile backup including your email folders. Then disable all your extensions (did 2.0.14 even had them).
Then upgrade using a few interim versions. Maybe 2.10 2.25 2.33.1 and 2.40. Make sure you at least use SeaMonkey one time after such an interim upgrade. This will give you the best chance not to loose stuff. Also export you bookmarks to an html file. There are/were some bugs where they were nuked around 2.30 upgrades.
DOS_Luddite

Post by DOS_Luddite »

frg wrote:2.0.14 to 2.49.4 is not a supported upgrade path. I think I did it some time ago with an old XP installation and it was not pretty.

First do a complete profile backup including your email folders. Then disable all your extensions (did 2.0.14 even had them).
Then upgrade using a few interim versions. Maybe 2.10 2.25 2.33.1 and 2.40. Make sure you at least use SeaMonkey one time after such an interim upgrade. This will give you the best chance not to loose stuff. Also export you bookmarks to an html file. There are/were some bugs where they were nuked around 2.30 upgrades.
Thanks to both who responded to my query. I'll take your advice, and perhaps also back up my HD before trying the upgrade.