Persistent Long Running Script Message Regardless Of Page

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Scott_1A

Persistent Long Running Script Message Regardless Of Page

Post by Scott_1A »

I am using FF 66.0.5 (Windows 10) and a few weeks ago (it may have started with FF 66.0.5 update), I started getting a persistent message saying "Stop running this script? A script on this page is causing your web browser to run slowly. If it continues to run, it may cause your computer to become unresponsive". This was formerly known as the 'Unresponsive Script" message on older versions of FF. It occurs regularly now whenever I leave the computer for a few hours or more. It also happens *regardless* of what page I have open.

Here is what I have tried so far without any success:

- Set "dom.max_script_run_time" from default of 10 to 30. This had no effect on the problem.

- Let the computer sit for several hours with a different page active each time and multiple other tabs open. This also had no effect on the problem. It kept occurring regardless of which page was open.

- Let the computer sit for several hours with only one tab (page) open in the session. This also had no effect on the problem, regardless of which page I used in the single open tab (rotated through multiple different pages).

- Started FF in Safe Mode and let computer sit for several hours with only one tab (page) open in the session. Again, this had no effect on the problem regardless of which page I used in the single tab (rotated through multiple different pages).

The problem is really annoying. I really can't figure out where it is coming from. Since it occurs regardless of which page is open at the time and occurs while FF is in Safe mode, I can't pin it down to a particular script or extension and figure it must be a bug in FF. When I do a search of current problems using FF, I haven't been able to find another similar problem however.

Can anyone help? Thanks.
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Persistent Long Running Script Message Regardless Of Pag

Post by malliz »

Two questions what Anti Virus / Malware program are you using and what extensions do you have installed? Some are very bad about respecting Safe Mode
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Scott_1A

Post by Scott_1A »

malliz wrote:Two questions what Anti Virus / Malware program are you using and what extensions do you have installed? Some are very bad about respecting Safe Mode
Thanks for the response.

- Cookie Auto Delete - 3.0.2
- Download Manager - (S3) - 5.10
- Flagfox - 6.1.14
- Flash and Video Download - 3.2.1
- Forecast Fox - 4.20
- I Don't Care About Cookies - 3.0.0
- McAfee Web Advisor - 7.0.0.27772
- My Sessions - 2.13.5
- NoScript - 10.6.1
- NoSquint Plus - 62.1
- Nuke Anything - 2.4
- OneTab - 1.25
- uBlock Origin - 1.19.2
- User - Agent Switcher - 1.2.12
- Video Downloader Professional - 1.98.2
- Video DownloadHelper - 7.3.5

Anti-Virus = Avast 19.4.2374 (Build 19.3.4241.450)

I've also created a new profile that I am going to try running for a while and see if that makes any difference.

Edit: I just created a totally new basic profile with no extensions added, nothing copied over from my previous profile and nothing changed in about:config. Within 5 minutes after starting the new profile with only one tab open, I got the exact same message! It HAS to be a problem with FF 66.0.5 but I don't understand why no one else is seeing it.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Get rid of McAffee its crap and has never played well with Firefox. NoScript is very bad at respecting safemode it tends to make changes that do not get reverted when you start safemode.
I seem to remember some video download managers are pretty bad as well. You could probably consider a new profile just to test with, test it before you install anything ***most important**
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... x-profiles
DO NOT delete your old profile
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Scott_1A

Post by Scott_1A »

malliz wrote:Get rid of McAffee its crap and has never played well with Firefox. NoScript is very bad at respecting safemode it tends to make changes that do not get reverted when you start safemode.
I seem to remember some video download managers are pretty bad as well. You could probably consider a new profile just to test with, test it before you install anything ***most important**
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... x-profiles
DO NOT delete your old profile
Thanks for your input.

But I DID create a new straight vanilla profile (see the "edit" comment added at the end of my previous post) with NO extensions added, NOTHING copied over from the previous profile, no changes made to about:config, and only one tab open. I got exactly the same message on the vanilla test profile within 5 minutes of starting it!

And don't worry, I always treat my old profiles like gold :)
therube

Post by therube »

IE/Edge do anything similar?

Since it doesn't seem to be extension related (my first thought), I'm kind of with malliz, something external injecting itself into FF, be it malware or not.
(Oh wait McAfee is malicious, isn't it ;-)).

Otherwise, proxy (in general, as theoretically one wouldn't be used, by default in a new Profile - unless it is set up system-wide).

Run an A/V scan.
(Oh wait McAfee isn't a real A/V ;-). Just kidding on that. Don't really know anything of A/V these days.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Scott_1A

Post by Scott_1A »

therube wrote:IE/Edge do anything similar?

Since it doesn't seem to be extension related (my first thought), I'm kind of with malliz, something external injecting itself into FF, be it malware or not.
(Oh wait McAfee is malicious, isn't it ;-)).

Otherwise, proxy (in general, as theoretically one wouldn't be used, by default in a new Profile - unless it is set up system-wide).

Run an A/V scan.
(Oh wait McAfee isn't a real A/V ;-). Just kidding on that. Don't really know anything of A/V these days.)
I decided to just go ahead and do a reboot of Windows and see if that did anything. I have let both profiles run for several hours each now with no recurrence of the problem on either one. It seems that just as you and Malliz said, there was something external affected FF and that the reboot corrected whatever the problem was.

I discovered an entry in Bugzilla that's been around forever (13 years) about doing something to improve FF's handling of that message and provide more information about what may be causing it whenever it occurs (Bug 346648). Nothing much seems to have happened with it however so it looks as if we are destined to play guessing games about what's going on whenever it appears.