[SOLVED] Need Explanation of FF Tracking

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Wiggam72

Re: Need Explanation of FF Tracking

Post by Wiggam72 »

Brummelchen wrote:
I did notice that after I cleaned them out, my PC was a tad faster.
files without access can not make a system faster when deleted.
it stands - firefox only has valid information about itself, i dont know, what those malicious tools show to pay the fee for it.
if you trust those programs instead the majority experience here - your choice.
That isn't a paid feature. As I stated in the previous post, it appears CCleaner is identifying DDG cookies as tracking. But, they are detecting cookies.

After I clear out all cookies and then reenable my DDG cookies and run CCleaner Easy Clean, it shows 12 trackers, which have to all be DDG cookies since I didn't go to another site.

One of the issues I'm trying to find out is how a program can identify something that isn't there? Over 1,500 of them when I first ran it. What it shows is going on is that it is a cumulative thing. The more sites I visit without clearing them out, the more that accumulate.

Do you have another way to verify (other than FF) that cookies are not cumulatively being placed and not removed on my PC even though FF is set to remove them on closing?
kerft

Post by kerft »

In the Firefox menu, the content blocking, you could pick block all cookies. That will probably break many sites and prevent duckduckgo from giving you your settings.
An alternate way to deal with all of this, if the only cookie you really want is duckduckgo, is to try to use the "generate url" feature that startpage.com has, duckduckgo may have one that is similar. You set your settings, then generate a url and bookmark it, and whenever you go to it it is startpage but with your settings loaded. That works without cookies. If you do that, you can then use Firefox feature clear cookies on close to clear all cookies each time.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

it appears CCleaner is identifying DDG cookies as tracking
repeating my answer to that - BS. ccleaner shows me tons of cookies here i maybe had. same for others i assume. in special when you deactivate firefox in ccleaner and it still shows cookies for firefox - not possible. i assume that ccleaner shows a cumulative list being in time for firefox. about ddg - any websearch sets cookies to work properly - deny it and all is fine, i did same with google.
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

kerft wrote:In the Firefox menu, the content blocking, you could pick block all cookies. That will probably break many sites and prevent duckduckgo from giving you your settings.
An alternate way to deal with all of this, if the only cookie you really want is duckduckgo, is to try to use the "generate url" feature that startpage.com has, duckduckgo may have one that is similar. You set your settings, then generate a url and bookmark it, and whenever you go to it it is startpage but with your settings loaded. That works without cookies. If you do that, you can then use Firefox feature clear cookies on close to clear all cookies each time.
Sorry I took so long to reply. I was gone all day yesterday and very busy today. I tried but I'm not sure if I can set DDG's url using Startpage. It appears it can only be a Startpage url. Do you know how I would accomplish that?

DDG doesn't have a cookieless option like Startpage does.
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

Brummelchen wrote:about ddg - any websearch sets cookies to work properly - deny it and all is fine, i did same with google.
Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean.
Wiggam72

Re: [SOLVED] Need Explanation of FF Tracking

Post by Wiggam72 »

I got lucky and figured out how to prevent DuckDuckGo cookies being removed when using Easy Clean in CCleaner.

I hadn't used CCleaner since my last post and a message popped up from them touting their new features. I was going to post the problem in this thread on their site and decided to open CCleaner to get some info. When I opened it, it didn't show the Easy Clean feature. I was poking around trying to find out how to put it back when I stumbled onto the following:

I went into Options > Cookies. There, it has two columns. The one on the left says 'Cookies on Computer' and the one on the right says 'Cookies to Keep'. I saw DuckDuckGo in the left column and moved it to the right column. I DL the same version again, installed it and the Easy Clean feature came back.

I then used the Easy Clean feature to wipe all cookies. I reopened FF and to my delight, my DuckDuckGo settings were and are still all intact! :D