in google search box only 22 characters visible

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
capello325

in google search box only 22 characters visible

Post by capello325 »

Dear seamonkey community,
I´m using seamonkey 2.94.4 but also with previous builts I have the following problem.
In fact, if I punch in some terms in the google search box there are only 22 characters visible.
For example, if I insert a text with 50 characters, only 22 are visible and the rest disapears on the
left side of the search box.
The problem did not only occure in 2.94.4, but in at least the last 2 builts of seamonkey.
And - this is strange - it occurs on all my computers - 2 desctops and 4 laptops.
On 5 computes I´m usin WIN 10 prof (Intel I7 and I5) and on one a laptop WIN 7.

If I´m using MS EDGE on these PC´s I don´t have this problem.

Hope, that somebody has a solution.

Best Regards

Klaus
Frank Lion

Re: in google search box only 22 characters visible

Post by Frank Lion »

capello325 wrote:In fact, if I punch in some terms in the google search box there are only 22 characters visible..

Best Regards

Klaus
Hi Klaus, it's caused by Google Search not showing correctly in SM.

Just follow the instructions here and you're done -

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14804588
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
capello325

Post by capello325 »

That´s it. Thank you so much Frank!!
kmike

Post by kmike »

Hi Frank, why do you advise masquerading as IE11? It causes display problems on other Google sites, Google Translate for example. I think impersonating some outdated Firefox version (like 40.x) would make more sense here.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

kmike wrote:Hi Frank, why do you advise masquerading as IE11? It causes display problems on other Google sites, Google Translate for example. I think impersonating some outdated Firefox version (like 40.x) would make more sense here.
Hi,

The main advice point is how to implement site specific overrides and to avoid using global general overrides, which really can cause problems in the future.

What UA string you then use is up to you. With Google search the problem is a .css rendering one, but on other sites it is more usually an outdated browser message.

I personally like to stick as close to my real UA as possible, yet get the desired results. So, for the 3 or 4 sites I use overrides on I use - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0

I suggest you use a Linux UA, but with a Firefox 60+ suffix. Something like -

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:66.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/66.0
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

This should be a FAQ somewhere.
Browsers that don't have a conventional horizontal Menu bar (where it's been for 25 years) are poorly designed. Period. Stop 'fixing' something that isn't broke!