Firefox not updating passwords anymore

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
sandeep108

Firefox not updating passwords anymore

Post by sandeep108 »

Hi

Running latest version of Windows 10 and FF.

Recently Firefox stopped updating saved passwords, when I have to change a password at a site, like Amazon, the message pops up when I log in and asks do you want to update this password? I click yes but the next time I log in I get the Wrong Password message and have to type it in manually.

This is kind of a pain. It further does not allow editing of username in the saved logins window either. Passwords that haven't been changed recently still work fine.
DanRaisch

Re: Firefox not updating passwords anymore

Post by DanRaisch »

Try menu path Tools->Options->Privacy & Security->Saved Logins button->enter the website URL into the search bar->click on the entry for the problem account when it appears and then click on the "Remove" button and then on the "Close" button. Close and restart Firefox and revisit that sight, saving the password when that option is offered.
sandeep108

Post by sandeep108 »

Thanks for the reply Dan, but this is happening for several websites when there are older passwords present. At times the user ID/name is blanked out and I can't even edit the same even though the option is there in the dialog.

FF gives me the Update/Don't update pop-up but clicking on "Update" does nothing - it does not update but goes back to the old password, even though the search shows the newer password.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Please try the procedure I suggested for one or two of these web sites to see if removing and then replacing the login values resolves the issue for those sites. The assumption behind the suggestion is that the currently stored values are corrupted in the password database and that removing them and replacing them may eliminate the corruption.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

So, you can't double-click username and password fields in the Password Manager to edit these fields?

Did you try Safe Mode?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode

You can try "Forget About This Site" of a history item to see if that removes the current entries in the Password Manager.
sandeep108

Post by sandeep108 »

dickvl wrote:So, you can't double-click username and password fields in the Password Manager to edit these fields?
Oh I can, after entering the values, pressing enter or tab does nothing and the edited value does not 'stick'. The cursor simply remains in the username field and it does not accept any value entered manually.
therube

Post by therube »

Check your Profile folder.

Anything "odd" with the logins.json file?
Perhaps multiple iterations of it?
How about its' date? Current or some time in the past?

(
So, you can't double-click username and password fields
When I just looked, it was not apparent, at all, that you could even edit anything there.
Never would have thought to double-click.
Actually surprised that I even found the [right-click] context-menu selection.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
sandeep108

Post by sandeep108 »

DanRaisch wrote:Please try the procedure I suggested for one or two of these web sites to see if removing and then replacing the login values resolves the issue for those sites. The assumption behind the suggestion is that the currently stored values are corrupted in the password database and that removing them and replacing them may eliminate the corruption.
Thanks Dan. This sort of resolved the issue. With the new update to 67, it allowed me to edit the username field in the saved logins part of the options. Then I removed the old entry and now it is fine and it uses the new password.

FF still does not want to update the old entry and then use the new entry though I click the 'update dialog box' that pops up when I enter the updated password. It still wants to continue to use the old entry with the old password, though I can see that the new password entry is there in the saved logins.
kimi85

Post by kimi85 »

I have the same problem in particular website. Firefox does NOT update my "new" password when it prompts me by "update" button on address bar, and despite I hit "update" everytime, it does NOT update. I had to type my new login form password everytime. That happens either with old and more recent versions of Firefox. I have not problem with other sites, note that I'm using portable Firefox if this makes any difference.

Thanks!
sandeep108

Post by sandeep108 »

I think if you go the desktop FF and update the login from there and then remove the old password from Logins and Passwords, the new password may get synced over to the portable FF. I am assuming you are signing into your FF account when using portable FF.