Links wthin T-bird email not opening directly into Firefox?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Flycaster

Links wthin T-bird email not opening directly into Firefox?

Post by Flycaster »

After having copied Thunderbird from one computer (MS Surface Pro) to another PC, I am having an unusual problem with Thunderbird email links opening in a new Firefox instead of opening in and already opened Firefox. TB's opening links work appropriately (link opens in an already opened FX) in the computer from which it was copied. I have originally posted to Thunderbird, but so far nothing is working and maybe you guys can come up with something of a fix/explanation. Here's the link to my TB posting: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14834167, so that you can see the background info.
Windows 11, FF Latest, Edge v94, Thunderbird Latest, Defender
kerft

Re: Links wthin T-bird email not opening directly into Firef

Post by kerft »

Firefox 67 handles profiles differently than before. Make sure that Firefox is set as the default browser, and that the profile you want to / are using is, in Firefox, at URL about:profiles, set as the default profile. If you follow other troubleshooting steps and no matter what cannot find a fix, for a month or two you could run Firefox 60 ESR instead of 67 and that could workaround the problem. After that time there may be more suggestions about the profiles issue or improvements to it for 68.

Note - for a user who has never run beta, portable Firefox, or used multiple profiles, these problems are not meant to happen. In other words, in some cases they may considered a bug and may be fixed later.
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

I've never been good working with profiles, so before I do anything let me ask a question or two. Within about:profiles on the PC with the TB issue, two profiles are listed. One is Profile:default and the other is Profile:default-release. Their root and local directories are mirror images except for the profile file names. Give this info, please tell me how to proceed. Naively, I would just swap default-release for default. BTW, Firefox is my default browser and the other computer only has one default listed in its about:profiles.
kerft

Post by kerft »

I do not know what to suggest. If all is working properly, changing the default profile and restarting Firefox will not delete anything, it will only show and use the contents of the other profile. Whatever you do, do not delete anything. If you want to make changes, rename or move only. Even that should not be necessary in this case, instead changes to profiles.ini, compatibility.ini, or the custom launch parameters of Firefox in the thunderbird settings would be more in order.

For now, I would try changing the default and see what happens. You may need to change it back if you are not successful.
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

Swapped profiles. Still getting inappropriate opening of TB email links.
kerft

Post by kerft »

Maybe someone else can help. All I would do is check in Thunderbird the custom launch command, maybe add a -P "name or path of my default profile" to it. You may be experiencing an actual bug.
therube

Post by therube »

What version of FF are you running the Surface Pro?

Oh so that is a screenshot (full size here, https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... iginal.jpg) of what?
TB in the background?
And FF in the foreground?

At first I wasn't sure what I was looking at, but yes, that does look like it has opened your TB link in a new FF Profile.
(That is why all that "help" crap is showing up.)

And if that is the case, then that is (some fool's [that means you & I]) intended, expected behavior with FF 67.

If you go to about:support in that window, you will see your Profile folder listed.
Contrast that with the same in your "other, regular" FF windows.

Confirm that they are different.

If they are, then you are doing things wrong!
What are you doing wrong, you ask? Don't know? Don't know what is right, expected anymore. (The left is always right.)
Guess you might say FF 67 is wrong :-).
But then Mozilla will argue that point, saying you (& I) are INVALID.
(Surprised that you have more then 1 FF open & running, concurrently? Don't be. Don't know which is which or why? Don't be. Be glad :-).)

Suffice to say, all jesting aside, things are broken (on the Mozilla end), IMHO, though they refuse to admit it.
So...? (So, so, is a mighty good question.)
(People would ask me, "how are you doing?", & I'd never say "so so", but I would say, "asi, asi".)

Follow the trail as I think it's what you're running into, How can one uncheck this box, check that Firefox is the standard browser.
(If you understand the problem or find an answer, let me know.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

Firefox 67 handles profiles differently than before.
Oh how true that is.
these problems are not meant to happen
There is no problem here.
Everything seen is specifically meant to be happening.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

Hey "therube", I have read your comments here and in
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3050319 and https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1553815,
and can unequivocally say that I think I understand that my T-bird email link problem is caused by two needless "instances" of FF interfering with the process. For which I thank you as you have now reduced my valium intake. However, I have no understanding of all the back and forth talk about a fix. So, with a little mercy for my 80 yo mind, could you kindly let me know if there is or isn't a fix; and if there isn't, should we expect one in the future?
therube

Post by therube »

However, I have no understanding of all the back and forth talk about a fix.
Ah, the crux of the problem.
could you kindly let me know if there is or isn't a fix; and if there isn't, should we expect one in the future?
Don't know?
I don't understand what they did, why they did?
Don't know what to expect going forward?
Nor how to get things to work as one may want?

Take everything you knew, & throw it out the door.

Carry on!

With FF 66 ...-> FF 1, I could tell you in a heartbeat.

With FF 67 (and 69) ...

Color me clueless!
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

My fix, for the moment. As email links will now open in a new instance of FF, I simply made the new instance a mirror image of the original FF. At least this way I will feel at home.
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

OK, who's been screwing with my head...computer gremlins? (LOL) This morning when I clicked on a link within T-bird email, the link opened in the original Firefox and not in a new instance??? Have no idea why this happened, but I'm a happy camper again.
therube

Post by therube »

Have no idea why this happened
That's the problem.
Even though the situation "fixed" itself, at some point, be it later today, or tomorrow, or next year, whatever actions you performed that caused the situation to occur in the first place, will come into play again, & it will happen again.

(Don't you just luv, consistency!)

So, I hope you do see - the issue is YOU ( ;-)).

FF is doing everything, correctly - as expected.

(Now. If we only had some clue as to what is expected to happen... Alas, since Mozilla is clueless in that regard...)
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

therube wrote: Even though the situation "fixed" itself, at some point, be it later today, or tomorrow, or next year, whatever actions you performed that caused the situation to occur in the first place, will come into play again, & it will happen again.
How right you are. This morning, a new instance of FF greeted me when opening an email link...should have stayed in bed!
So, I hope you do see - the issue is YOU ( ;-)).
Unfortunately, I don't see how the issue is me??? Isn't the issue with FF as I don't believe I have changed anything?
therube

Post by therube »

should have stayed in bed!
LOL.

You missed the :wink in my post, ;-).

Of course the issue is with FF.