Instagram videos don't display any more

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Psychonaut

Instagram videos don't display any more

Post by Psychonaut »

For the last few weeks I've been unable to see videos on Instagram, whereas they were working fine for me before. For example, when I visit the video post at https://www.instagram.com/p/BxAxl44l5N3/, all I see is a blank frame where the video should be. Does anyone else have this problem?

I'm using SeaMonkey 2.49.4 on openSUSE Tumbleweed (x86_64) installed from the openSUSE Mozilla repository.

Here is the troubleshooting I've done so far:
  • I've tried starting my browser in safe mode with a new profile. The video doesn't play this way either. So the problem is probably not with any add-ons or custom configuration in my browser.
  • I tried downloading and running the semi-official "Linux x86-64" build of SeaMonkey, but the video won't play this way either. Not even in safe mode with a fresh profile. So the problem is probably not with how my OS is packaging SeaMonkey.
  • If I open the Page Info dialog (View->Page Info or Ctrl+I) and select the Media tab, I can see the video listed there, and if I select it and then click on the video, it plays fine. So the problem is probably not a missing codec on my system.
  • I've tried opening the same page in Firefox and in Chromium and the video plays fine in those browsers. So the problem is probably something specific to SeaMonkey (or how Instagram treats requests from SeaMonkey).
  • I tried getting SeaMonkey to spoof an older version of Firefox by going to about:config and adding keys general.useragent.override.instagram.com and general.useragent.override.cdninstagram.com with the value "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0". The video doesn't play this way either.
  • I tried spoofed the user agent string to a more recent version of Firefox: "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:66.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/66.0". With this setting the page doesn't even load properly.
So at this point I can't definitively rule out a problem on my end (though that is looking unlikely), nor can I rule out the possibility that Instagram itself is doing something weird when serving the video to my browser. It would be nice to know if anyone else using SeaMonkey is experiencing the same symptoms. If not, is there anything else I can try in terms of troubleshooting?
hardys

Re: Instagram videos don't display any more

Post by hardys »

It looks like the site uses some css classes that are not supported in Seamonkey.
When you disable the styles by clicking View -> Use Styles -> none then the videos can be played.
therube

Post by therube »

(That's odd.
Works in Pale Moon.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
hardys

Post by hardys »

Just checked and it is working again in WG9s SM 2.57 version
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

hardys wrote:It looks like the site uses some css classes that are not supported in Seamonkey.
When you disable the styles by clicking View -> Use Styles -> none then the videos can be played.
Standard CSS1/2/2.1/3 classes, or something off-spec? That is, is the problem here that Instagram is serving proprietary or experimental CSS (in which case, I might try complaining to Instagram and/or using my adblocker or Greasemonkey to work around the issue), or that it's serving fully standard markup that SeaMonkey hasn't yet got around to implementing (in which case, I should find and track the relevant issue on the SeaMonkey Bugzilla, or open a new issue if necessary)?
hardys

Post by hardys »

I think some HTML5 standards are missing.
I have tested with Firefox 52ESR on which SM 2.49.4 is based and there the video also does't work, so we have to wait for SM 2.57 which is based on FF 60ESR :cry:
mamaconnie

Post by mamaconnie »

Does anyone know the expected due date of SM 2.57? : )
therube

Post by therube »

Far off.

If 2.53 works for your Facebook videos, go with that.
2.53 should be stable.

2.57 (IMO) should not be used except for testing (or if it meets a specific need where 2.49/2.53 do not).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
rereser

Post by rereser »

missed this post , just encountered this problem today on xp.
solution posted here.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3050608
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

rereser wrote:missed this post , just encountered this problem today on xp.
solution posted here.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3050608
The workaround you posted is to add

Code: Select all

.OAXCp { padding-bottom: 350px !important; }
to the usercontent.css file. Unfortunately, this has no effect for me.
kerft

Post by kerft »

Make sure your general.useragent.override and/or general.useragent.override.instagram.com are set to what is suggested in that thread. Or, it may need to be general.useragent.override.facebook.com or whatever server the videos come from.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

Nope, still nothing.
rereser

Post by rereser »

changed the "to add" content in the post.
maybe that works.
am no expert on this.
could only test on xp.
the useragent mod was to see pictures.
not sure it's needed for video.
kerft

Post by kerft »

Does it work in Seamonkey 2.53?
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

Nope. It works in SeaMonkey 2.57, but not 2.53 or the currently stable 2.49.4.

ETA: I assume you were asking about whether I can see the video without the about:config+usercontent.css workaround. I tested the workaround only in 2.49.4, not in 2.53 or 2.57.