Config mouseclick on tab to toggle most recently used tab

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
JohnDohe

Config mouseclick on tab to toggle most recently used tab

Post by JohnDohe »

Hi,

Need ability to left-mouseclick on tab to toggle most recently used tab.

Anyone know of what to set in about:config or an extension to enable this
in FireFox 66.0.2 ?

Thanks!
jscher2000

Re: Config mouseclick on tab to toggle most recently used ta

Post by jscher2000 »

No, there is neither a built-in feature for this, nor can an extension change the behavior when you left-click on a tab.

As far as I know, the best you can do is an extension that adds a new button for one-click switching. There are several extensions along these lines, including one I created: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... ctive-tab/
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

See also Ctrl + Tab.
browser.ctrlTab.recentlyUsedOrder
JohnDohe

Post by JohnDohe »

dickvl wrote:See also Ctrl + Tab.
@ dickvl

Why would you reply with a keyboard sequence when
I asked about a mouseclick?
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

JohnDohe wrote:
dickvl wrote:See also Ctrl + Tab.
@ dickvl

Why would you reply with a keyboard sequence when
I asked about a mouseclick?
Because what you are asking for can't be done and dickvl was trying to be helpful?

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Try this extension:
Most Recent Tab https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... ecent-tab/

The rather large file size of the extension (167 KB) appears to be caused by a rather large PNG image (most recent tab 1.1.png; 172.2 KB).
unbob

Post by unbob »

More than anything else, losing left-mouseclick to toggle most recently used tab when Quantum killed the TMP extension has been the #1 Quantum irritation for me. What conceivable reason would there be to completely eliminate this feature?? If Microsoft killed the ability to toggle shortcuts on the Win10 taskbar with a single mouse click - would anyone care?? And why would they do that? Makes no sense whatsoever.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

unbob wrote:What conceivable reason would there be to completely eliminate this feature??
The WebExtensions API, based on Chrome's extension API, limits what extensions can do to the UI. This change didn't single out your favorite feature; it is a global limitation (max. of one toolbar button, + right-click context menu integration, + keyboard shortcuts).
unbob

Post by unbob »

jscher2000 wrote:
unbob wrote:What conceivable reason would there be to completely eliminate this feature??
The WebExtensions API, based on Chrome's extension API, limits what extensions can do to the UI. This change didn't single out your favorite feature; it is a global limitation (max. of one toolbar button, + right-click context menu integration, + keyboard shortcuts).
Yes, I understand. I misstated my question. My question should be why wasn't such a useful and logical feature included in the original UI? And function exactly like the Windows taskbar toggle shortcuts? Seems absurd to me that this feature was omitted.
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

jscher2000 wrote:No, there is neither a built-in feature for this, nor can an extension change the behavior when you left-click on a tab.

As far as I know, the best you can do is an extension that adds a new button for one-click switching. There are several extensions along these lines, including one I created: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... ctive-tab/
I was worried that it would conflict with my tab wheel scrolling userChrome script. But wow! This works like a charm! Thanks jscher2000 for a cool extension. Great work!

BTW, I moved the Icon to the toolbar where File Edit View etc is via FF Customize. Also, the icon is awesome! Moving it there makes it much more visible and easier to access since I only have 6 other things there.